Not laughing

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
The Crusader
Freeman

Re: Not laughing

Post by The Crusader »

I think if the Rick Rolled Video was the Muppets video with Beeker singing it, it would have been great.

No reason to get upset....life's to short.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

At first I thought, hmmm I guess that virus everyone is talking about really did happen... Then I realized I'm on a Mac, and thought I must have accidentally clicked an ad or something. Then I figured it was just AF pt. 2.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

Athos wrote:At first I thought, hmmm I guess that virus everyone is talking about really did happen... Then I realized I'm on a Mac, and thought I must have accidentally clicked an ad or something. Then I figured it was just AF pt. 2.

Steve

My office power went out 4 times yesterday...I thought it was the virus lol.

Made me think of Live Free and Die Hard plottline :D
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Yeah, I didn't appreciate it very much either. I don't know how long it lasted for, but it basically made Classic-Castle.com useless for the day. :(
-Bryan
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

It's april fools day so people should relax and take the jokes and move on with their lives as normally on the 2nd.

However, it seems a bit... unprepared, like Tony woke up and was like oh crap it's the 1st and I haven't done anything yet... Hmm... What can I do? :P
Last edited by Aliencat on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
ffilz
Foot Soldier

Post by ffilz »

Count me as one who was not amused, and did have concerns about site hacking.

That said, since it was the 1st, and it didn't even last all day, I'm taking it in perspective.

However, I think this is a good example of how humor is NOT universal. Having been the but of some "jokes" that were downright mean (in one case, a pair of friends was (I think) trying to make some joke about my mother at a time when my parents were divorcing and things were rather messy), I encourage people to not dismiss people's discomfort with humor. There may be something you don't know about that person, and when you dismiss their discomfort, they may feel you don't respect them (and they may be even less likely to share with you whatever was on their mind that made your joke not so funny).

Frank
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Tell you what... Let's not do anything different ever again. Let's not try to take advantage of whatever special day it is, whether it be April Fool's, Halloween, whatever. We won't change the site, we won't change the colors, we won't dink with anything at all. After all, some people may not find it amusing.

And let's not have any more contests on this website. Not winning a contest may hurt people's feelings, so let's keep their feelings in mind and just ban all contests.

Let's not have any fun whatsoever on this website, because we're all different and we all have different definitions of what "fun" is. Since we'll never agree 100% of what "fun" is, let's make sure no one has any.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Tell you what... Let's not do anything different ever again. Let's not try to take advantage of whatever special day it is, whether it be April Fool's, Halloween, whatever. We won't change the site, we won't change the colors, we won't dink with anything at all. After all, some people may not find it amusing.

And let's not have any more contests on this website. Not winning a contest may hurt people's feelings, so let's keep their feelings in mind and just ban all contests.

Let's not have any fun whatsoever on this website, because we're all different and we all have different definitions of what "fun" is. Since we'll never agree 100% of what "fun" is, let's make sure no one has any.

--Tony

LOL....Can we at least have a chili cookoff sometime?

Can you imagine if the Internet shut down for a full day..... :twisted:
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

ffilz wrote: However, I think this is a good example of how humor is NOT universal. Having been the but of some "jokes" that were downright mean (in one case, a pair of friends was (I think) trying to make some joke about my mother at a time when my parents were divorcing and things were rather messy), I encourage people to not dismiss people's discomfort with humor. There may be something you don't know about that person, and when you dismiss their discomfort, they may feel you don't respect them (and they may be even less likely to share with you whatever was on their mind that made your joke not so funny).
It is true that humor is not universal. But website pranks that affect everyone and personal jokes about someone's family, life, etc, are completely different. There's no reason to take personal offense to a website April Fool's joke that was not directed at you specifically. I can understand being dissapointed, frustrated, or just generally miffed that things were not the way you expected them to be. I don't think it's worth getting upset about, but I could see where you're coming from. However, if someone is taking it personally, I would suggest they think long and hard about what is valuable and important in life, and what their sense of self-worth is grounded in.

Oh, and well said, Tony.
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Tell you what... Let's not do anything different ever again. Let's not try to take advantage of whatever special day it is, whether it be April Fool's, Halloween, whatever. We won't change the site, we won't change the colors, we won't dink with anything at all. After all, some people may not find it amusing.

--Tony
:lol: That's great!

I hope your not serious..... :twitch: jk
Last edited by Lewa Rocks on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I did not intend to ruin anyones fun, and I did initially enjoy the joke for what it was...
Last edited by BrianofBrick06 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Wow, everyone is so sensitive around here. It was a joke, its not happening anymore, move on. Some people didn't think it was funny, oh well it happens, get over it.

Personally, I didn't think it was funny (try again next year) but it didn't bother me at all (so try again next year).

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

--Tony
Let's me see if I got this right.

You cackle with glee at the frustration of users who might be miffed at what was done and then get pissy when more than one person doesn't get your "funny"?

I'm over it already.

I would have said something like this instead:
Yeah. So some people didn't find the April Fools Day joke funny. Personally, I found it hilarious as did most users on this site. I'm not going to apologize for it either. It was a joke and since this is my site, I'm entitled to do some things you may not agree with. I won't get upset at you for not getting my joke if you don't get upset at me for perpetrating it. Deal?
I visit this and other sites every few days for my quick LEGO fix. I've found everything else you guys have done here to be fantastic.

If my criticism has put you off, take it with a pound of salt. I'm just one person. Take a breath. Laugh at me if it makes you feel any better and disregard anything else I've said in the negative about this event. The only reason I posted in this thread was to commiserate with others who felt similarly about the joke. You're the Admin. Do whatever floats your boat. Just don't be surprised when someone doesn't want to play with your battleship.

*shrug*

Heh. Maybe you should put labels on the avatars of all the people who complained. Like "Unfunny" or something.
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

To: Munchy (I didn't quote you because it would be too confusing)....

I don't think Sava got mad because they didn't find it funny. He was just joking in his last post. You took it like he was angry. I'm pretty sure he was expecting some people to not like his April fools day joke.

Personal I found it quite funny. And yes it was annoying, but wasn't that the point?
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

sar⋅casm   /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ [sahr-kaz-uhm] –noun
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.