Classic-castle site of the month

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

wlister wrote:..... Or the admins could open a new position for a weekly/monthly MOC and website contest admin.
Having seen the perks that the admins get, I would have hoped that you didn't write something like this.

On the other hand, being an admin is a lot of work, and how many of us lowly bums actually want to work?
Glencaer wrote:My biggest problem with a MOC of the week concept is that it infringes on the annual Colossal Contest.
Perhaps it could be reworked so that the Collosal Contest became the pinnacle of the Monthly MOC Contests.

Like, say, all the winners of the Monthly Contests (or if they decline, then their runner-ups, and so on down the line) would be entered into the 'finals', together with any other builders considered especially deserving/noteworthy by the admin/judges. Whoever won the 'finals' would be the Collosal Castle Champion.

So in other words, the Monthly MOC Contests would be like the qualifying rounds. Or something. Its just an idea that came to me.
Glencaer wrote:What if we did a one-on-one site poll. One site versus another site. Once we have a winner, new sites would then be compared to the winner (winner and challenger). This way there would only be two sites each period and we'd already be familiar with one of them.
Sounds like a good idea to an ordinary (okay, an unordinary) bum like me!
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Lenny: "What if we did a one-on-one site poll. One site versus another site. Once we have a winner, new sites would then be compared to the winner (winner and challenger). This way there would only be two sites each period and we'd already be familiar with one of them."

I'm not sure. What is the criterion here--which site is better, or am I finally sick of this site? I could see that one of a small handful of sites (e.g. Takeshi Itou or Robert Carney) would just sit in that winners seat week after week, surrounded by the litter of lesser sites. Much like that guy on Jeopardy. Because, let's face it, the chances of me voting for some new site over these giants is quite slim (unless some new giant comes along, but it's hard for a new site to spring forth fully formed from the head of Zeus, as it were, most sites start out with a small amount of content). Aside from running the giants against eachother, the only thing that would knock them down is the novelty of a new site. This phenomenon did actually occur with CLSotW. There were sites that were perpetual second placers. They'd just miss winning, but then the next week some new site would catch the eye of the voters, even if they were (IMO of course) inferior to the second place site, and eventually these sites would fade.

I could help gather links for a CCCSotW, if you guys wanted, as long as someone else can show me how to do the code. For another project I've been crawling all over the Legosphere looking at sites, and I've seen all kinds of great sites that I keep thinking would be great for CLSotW if it were still running.

Bruce

Bruce
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Formendacil wrote:
wlister wrote:..... Or the admins could open a new position for a weekly/monthly MOC and website contest admin.
Having seen the perks that the admins get, I would have hoped that you didn't write something like this.

On the other hand, being an admin is a lot of work, and how many of us lowly bums actually want to work?
That certainly wasn't my reasoning behind this suggestion. Notice I didn't volunteer. :D It seemed like this type of thing could be a lot of work and some of our Admins already have a lot on their plate.

I do have to say I agree with Lenny, this might take away from the annual Colossal contest a bit. But by the same token, it could improve the number and quality of submissions to the Colossal contest if people were using the weekly to improve their MOC building skills. Something to ponder.

The monthly site contest might need some differentcategories as a Brickshelf or MOCpages gallery could never compete with an Ikros or Brickwars type site. Aside from that it might be an easier contest to put together, it being on a monthly basis.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

wlister wrote:
Formendacil wrote:

That certainly wasn't my reasoning behind this suggestion. Notice I didn't volunteer. :D It seemed like this type of thing could be a lot of work and some of our Admins already have a lot on their plate.
I guess that makes at least two lowly bums, although of the lowly bums here, we are the two lowliest bums present (lowly being defined by rank, for lack of a different/better system).