please:-)

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Dire Avenger
Villein

Post by Dire Avenger »

Take my word for it: You do not want to be an admin.

Trust me. I was one of the founding admins here...the first gaming admin. Frankly, i sucked, and i accept this (though i dont like it one bit!).

Anyway, i just didnt have the time to do much. I still have the completed version of CastleQuest sitting on this hardrive somewhere...But now theres no reason to put it up. You have to have time enough to spend writing articles and putting them up and interacting with people and so on and so forth- and not have parents that think you could be doing much greater stuff then playing with multicolored blocks.

And anyway, we dont really need another admin. Our current ones are doing a fine job.

-DA
Always remember....A toothpick in time saves nine. Only, what the heck does that mean?
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Dire Avenger wrote:then playing with multicolored blocks.
Thats why I try to only build in Grey and Dark Grey ;)

Good to hear from you again, Alex (im guessing alex)! Thanks for posting your thoughts on being an admin here. It is good to hear from a different perspective.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

Lady Val wrote:And after that shameless bit of crawling, one question. Who pays for it? Lugnet takes donations, as does my other hobby site. Is there a button somewhere that I missed?
I do!

That's why I get to be KING!

:D

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Troy wrote:
Lady Val wrote:And after that shameless bit of crawling, one question. Who pays for it? Lugnet takes donations, as does my other hobby site. Is there a button somewhere that I missed?
I do!

That's why I get to be KING!

:D

Troy
He who has the gold makes the rules.

Maybe ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I knew some one would ask this question someday. almost every forum I go to every one ask's. *sigh* I hop this doesnt become a problem like it did with other forums... :?

LR
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I think it's good that there are moderators because I'd rather see the admins improving the site than spending their time dealing with forum problems.

Anyway, it's storytime now.

Admin Story:
I was offered a chance to be an admin on this site before it opened. Anthony was inquiring about a PHP programmer on the FBTB forums and I responded. When he told me that he was working on a site called Classic Castle, I jumped out of my seat with excitement, for I had been hoping to find a good LEGO Castle site and I never dreamed that I could actually be involved with one.

Anthony wanted an automated news sytem where an admin could type a news article into a web form, click post, and the news would instantly appear on the front page of the site and bump the oldest front page news into a searchable archive. In exchange for my work, I would have been given admin status and credit on the site.

I could have also added other useful features to the site, such as a contest entry submission form and grading system. Unfortunately, Anthony told me to contact Troy for a login and password so I could do these things and I never got them after exchanging multiple e-mails. A few weeks later, the site opened up without it's dynamic news system and I never heard another peep from either of them.

These days, I'm setting up similar news systems for various businesses in the area at $100 a pop.

Moderator Story:
I was a moderator on the 3DfX forums. (Who remembers them?) I posted many informative messages on their Macintosh board about troubleshooting, where to find drivers, how to tune your games for the best performance, etc. Unfortunately, there were a few "kids" who would come in with Macs suck! posts and one day a site administrator came in and said: This forum needs a moderator, I want everybody to nominate somebody they think would do a good job. About 40 of the first 50 posts nominated me, an admin contacted me, and I accepted.

I had to keep up with the moderator mailing list. I was expected to log in frequently to maintain order on the forum. It restricted my free time, and I eventually came to times (like exam week) where I just couldn't do it. It was rewarding - I liked being able to contribute to a community and help people out, but it was also draining and took away some of the fun in participating on a discussion forum. What did I get for all my work? A 3DfX logo by my forum posts, a hat, and a mousepad.

I was also a moderator on two other forums, and the experiences were similar.

The moral of the moderator story? If you're hoping to become a moderator, think of post quality. Also be warned that it can be a lot of work.

The moral of the admin story?
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

rogue27 wrote:The moral of the admin story?
That Troy is notoriously bad with juggling multiple tasks simultaneously? :-D

I do not remember all the specifics from the beginning of the site, but I can assure you that you were not slighted for any personal reason by myself or anyone else on the current Admin team. In the end, I believe we decided to "go live" without the automated features and add them at a later date (so that we could ge tup and running faster).

And we never did get around to adding the content management system...but it is being worked on! :-D

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Troy wrote:
rogue27 wrote:The moral of the admin story?
That Troy is notoriously bad with juggling multiple tasks simultaneously? :-D

I do not remember all the specifics from the beginning of the site, but I can assure you that you were not slighted for any personal reason by myself or anyone else on the current Admin team. In the end, I believe we decided to "go live" without the automated features and add them at a later date (so that we could ge tup and running faster).

You sounded busy in the e-mails you sent me, so I never believed that you had some personal thing against me. (I may have wondered at times, but not believed)

Anyway, you can rest assured that I'm not sitting here and thinking, "Man, that Troy guy completely dissed me, I'm never going to order anything from his BL store!" It's just a coincidence that I've never ordered from your BL store. :)

And we never did get around to adding the content management system...but it is being worked on! :-D
That's cool. It's something every site of this magnitude needs to have. Whoever has to go and add all of the old news to the database is going to have a fun time!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]