Names?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

No, you can't. But I think you can switch accounts and Troy puts your post count to the new name.

Not positive though,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I think there is a way that an admin, or Troy anyway, can change a name. He did for Legolas (formerly Punx842003, or something like that). All that we know about the process is that it involves a bribe.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

A admin can change a username.

Should they? In my opinion, not unless there is a very good reason. If everyone suddenly starts changing their names, it leads to confusion.

At FBTB I know a couple people got their name changed, and since this is the same type of forum, it is undoubtly the same.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

J1A3L5 wrote:Should they? In my opinion, not unless there is a very good reason. If everyone suddenly starts changing their names, it leads to confusion.
I agree in principle. A user's name is the only consistent way of identifying users. Avatars, signatures, even the profile can, and often are changed.

But there are times when it probably would be beneficial to change names. Such as if a name is of a really common type (most things with Lego in them are indistiguishable. LEGOFREAK being the obvious exception). And I don't think that there would be a big fuss if an admin was asked to fix the spelling or capitalization on a name.

That said, I don't approve of name changes in general.
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Formendacil wrote:But there are times when it probably would be beneficial to change names. Such as if a name is of a really common type (most things with Lego in them are indistiguishable. LEGOFREAK being the obvious exception). And I don't think that there would be a big fuss if an admin was asked to fix the spelling or capitalization on a name..
That is exactly what I meant by a very good reason - For example, at FBTB, a Star Wars site, on the old forums we had a couple Scouttroopers, and now I think we have several ArcTroopers. And a million Darth _____'s. I could see that as a potential problem here: Count _____, Lord ______, King _____, etc., but it doesn't seem to have been.

Ah well, if there's a good reason, let it happen, but if it will just be confusing: Pick the right username in the first place!
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

The admin can do a name change for us?

Ohhh... in that case, could Troy or some Admin PLEASE change my name to "Peoples_General". Its the screen name I use on BL, FBTB, and some computer gaming sites.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

JPinoy wrote:The admin can do a name change for us?

Ohhh... in that case, could Troy or some Admin PLEASE change my name to "Peoples_General". Its the screen name I use on BL, FBTB, and some computer gaming sites.
JP, I'm sorry to use you as an example, but this is exactly why I think admins shouldn't do it. Why not have picked the proper name in the first place? It's like a chain reaction thing: One person does it, then someone else wants to, etc.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Changing a person's user name will not happen often and must be for a very good reason. Just wanting a new name probably wont cut it. It is also more difficult because people get to know you by your screen name. So take some time to think of a good one :wink:

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

architect wrote:Changing a person's user name will not happen often and must be for a very good reason. Just wanting a new name probably wont cut it. It is also more difficult because people get to know you by your screen name. So take some time to think of a good one :wink:

Ben E.
Glad to know the admins (or one anyway) agrees. In my case, I have no intention of ever changing my name. I like it! :D I can see some cases where it might be beneficial to change. We have a plethora of Sir_____ that can be a little confusing, but JPinoy is unlike anything else, and is completely associated in my mind with the Ancients Emperor, that changing it would be devasting.