Forum Links Suggestion (Warning - Moderately Technical)

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Forum Links Suggestion (Warning - Moderately Technical)

Post by rogue27 »

Links in forum posts behave differently depending on whether the URL tag is used.

Clicking a URL that was posted directly will open a new window, but links using the URL tag ([.url.]) will use the current window instead. I believe all links in forum posts should behave the same. I also believe that the default behavior for all links in forum posts should be to open a new window.

Why should all links behave the same? Consistency. If a user clicks on a link and sees a particular behavior, then they should be able to expect the same behavior when clicking on any link that has been posted.

Allow me to illustrate:
This should be a link to my tiny LEGO gallery:
http://homepage.mac.com/rogue27/lego

This is the same link using the [ URL ] tag:
http://homepage.mac.com/rogue27/lego

Finally, this right here is a text link to the same url.

Of the three links above, the first link opens a new window, but the other two links will open in the current window. After viewing a link, most people want to continue reading the forum. How do they do that? After viewing the first link, you can close the new window or switch to the browser window containing the forum, but you need to use the web browser's "back" button with the second and third link.

How does this create confusion?Suppose somebody just followed a link of the first style, and then closed the window when finished. Alright so far. Next, they view a link of the second or third type, and close the window when finished. They've accidentally closed the window that the forum was in! Oops.

Similar confusion can result from the opposite scenario.

Consistent behavior improves ease of use.

Why should all links open a new window? This is a forum where people read and post in a semi-interactive discussion. As such, when somebody posts a link to a MOC, sale, or other related information, it is useful to reference that information while posting a reply. Having the links open new windows allows this because you can switch between the forum window and the linked page.

The actual behavior that is best be argued both ways based on opinions and personal preferences, but whatever actual behavior is used should be consistent. I don't think any good argument can be made in favor of inconsistent link behavior if the forum is aiming for ease of use.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Re: Forum Links Suggestion (Warning - Moderately Technical)

Post by Glencaer »

How does this create confusion?Suppose somebody just followed a link of the first style, and then closed the window when finished. Alright so far. Next, they view a link of the second or third type, and close the window when finished. They've accidentally closed the window that the forum was in! Oops.
I like this suggestion. I've had this very problem several times before myself, so I'm sure it has happened to other people. If someone were running on dail-up, I'm sure reloading the forum would be a colossal pain.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Can you please give very clear directions on how to put in the links that you are talking about?

I understand the problem because I have closed the window with the forum on accident before, but I know that when I add a link to a post it does not come up as a different window. With dial up, this must be a big pain because I hate doing it and I am on a network.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmm... I always wondered how this worked...

Personally, I agree that consistency is better. And I do prefer having them open in another window. Subconsciously, I seem to be more willing to browse if CC is still up.

Go figure.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey all,
Personally I dislike it when something opens a new window. I'm scanning posts while working on other things at work, so I've already got windows open for Word, e-mail, etc. Opening multiple windows for my browser makes things much messier. In my case it's not really an issue, because I'm using Mozilla (available free) which has tabbed browsing. So I always control-click instead to open a new tab within my window.

Bruce
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Bruce N H wrote:Hey all,
Personally I dislike it when something opens a new window. I'm scanning posts while working on other things at work, so I've already got windows open for Word, e-mail, etc. Opening multiple windows for my browser makes things much messier. In my case it's not really an issue, because I'm using Mozilla (available free) which has tabbed browsing. So I always control-click instead to open a new tab within my window.
Yes yes Bruce. But you're a genius and no one cares how you do it. We need real solutions for real people - not solutions that work for intellectuals in their ivory towers. ;)

But, to counter your point - you'd still be able to open a url in a new tab by control-clicking. There would be no net change for you, if I understand you completely.

Is there anyone else who prefers links to open in the same window?

-Leny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Re: Forum Links Suggestion (Warning - Moderately Technical)

Post by Troy »

rogue27 wrote:Links in forum posts behave differently depending on whether the URL tag is used.

Clicking a URL that was posted directly will open a new window, but links using the URL tag ([.url.]) will use the current window instead. I believe all links in forum posts should behave the same. I also believe that the default behavior for all links in forum posts should be to open a new window.
I agree that the links should all work the same, and that they should open in a new window. I'll have to look into why this is not currently happening and how to correct it.

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

jwcbigdog wrote:Can you please give very clear directions on how to put in the links that you are talking about?
Sure, but let's not discuss this too much in this thread.

If you just type in a URL, the forum will automatically turn it into an underlined link that opens in a new window.

If you surround the URL with the URL tag (remove spaces if you do this for real), it will appear blue and will open in the current window.
Format: [ url ]addres_goes_here[ /url ]

Finally, a text link uses a more complicated version of the url tag:
Format:[ url=address_goes_here ]link_text_goes_here[ /url ]

The Bruce wrote:Personally I dislike it when something opens a new window. (...snip...) In my case it's not really an issue... I always control-click instead to open a new tab within my window.
Tabbed browsing is really just a way to store multiple windows inside of one window, so you actually do prefer your links to open in seperate windows - your browser just keeps them organized for you. Anyway, as you said, it's a non-issue.

Most people are not using a modern web browser or don't know how to use all of it's features. For them, it sounds as if changing the link behavior to consistently open new windows will be helpful. Maybe we should have a poll?

*EDIT*
Looks like The King has spoken while I was writing this, so I don't need to convince anybody else of anything. :)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]