LEGO Ambassador Program

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

LEGO Ambassador Program

Post by Glencaer »

The latest news from Jake McKee:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=3116

(full text copied from the Lugnet Post)
=====

For more than a year, I’ve been working with colleagues and community members to develop a pretty cool new program. For the 4 years I’ve been at the LEGO Company, my task has been to work together with colleagues and fans to bridge the void between them. To try to connect colleagues with fans, and bring the fans into the company.

It’s working.

In fact, it’s working so well, that I’m getting a bit overwhelmed. You certainly recall that we invited a group of AFOLs into the LEGO Factory design process (http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2588). We’ve also invited groups of fans into a number of other projects in the last couple years, and in 2004 that number leap up. In 2005 it looks like that number is going to grow even further. Each time we work on one of these projects, it’s a new NDA. It’s a new selection of fans. It’s a new introduction into the company for them.

So in the last year, I’ve been asking myself: “What happens if we had a group of people who were already under NDA? What if there is a group of fan representatives that could work side-by-side with LEGO employees? What if that group of representatives is also able to bring up issues from the community directly with the right people in the company?”

So with extraordinary amounts of help from a group of AFOLs and support from many colleagues internally, the LEGO Ambassador Program was born.

The LEGO Ambassadors will be a small group of fans who have applied and been accepted into the program. They will represent the best and the brightest AFOLs on the planet. Sort of a Top Gun of LEGO! To help clarify, I’ve broken down some FAQs:

What is the LEGO Ambassadors Program?
The LEGO Ambassador Program is a community based program made up of adult LEGO hobbyists who share their product and building expertise with the world-wide LEGO community (kids and adults actively participating in a LEGO community) and the public (kids, parents, grandparents), as well as the LEGO Company. LEGO Ambassador’s mission is to help provide inspiration for LEGO builders of all ages and from all parts of the world. All LEGO Ambassadors members are expected to exemplify the program fundamentals of building proficiency, enthusiasm, and professionalism towards the public, other fans and the LEGO Company.

How are Ambassadors chosen?
Selection is based on a written application (see below), that outlines why the candidate feels s/he should be accepted. It’s a subjective process based in no small part on participation and contribution to the LEGO community. This could be in the form of great events, forum postings that help other fans out, club organization, enthusiasm about building AND sharing with LEGO elements. But while the selection is subjective, all selection will be based on the program fundamentals of building proficiency, enthusiasm, and professionalism towards the public, other fans and the LEGO Company.

Are LEGO Ambassadors employees of the LEGO Company?
No. LEGO Ambassadors are not LEGO Company employees. LEGO Ambassadors contribute to the LEGO Fan community without the promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation. The LEGO Ambassadors Program is an officially recognized community based program of the LEGO Company. In fact, it’s important to note that a closer, more formal relationship with the LEGO Company doesn’t exclude negate the abilities of Ambassadors to speak freely, even critically on LEGO subjects. Ambassadors are not TLC spokespersons, but instead trusted allies.

If I’m chosen, how long will I be an Ambassador?
Every Ambassador has to reapply every cycle (a cycle is 6 months). An Ambassador might be in the program for 2 years, but everyone re-applies every 6 months.

How many Ambassadors are there?
To start, the first cycle will be a smaller, “test” group of 10-15 Ambassadors. Once we’ve worked out the kinks in the first cycle, the program will be about 30-40 Ambassadors.

Please understand that this first cycle is the “guinea pig cycle”… we’ll likely find tons of problems (and hopefully matching solutions). But the first group of Ambassadors will be the trailblazers… and the road might be a little bumpy.

Is this worldwide?
Yes, this is a worldwide program. Of course, it’s based on applications and not recruitment, so if no one from South America applies, for instance, there’s no chance that South America will be represented. The goal is to have both the best talent from the community as well as a representative distribution among countries.

What do the LEGO Ambassadors get?
In exchange for participating in the LEGO Ambassador program, likely benefits might include (but haven’t yet been finalized): * Ability to use the LEGO Ambassadors logo in email/forum post footers and in other contexts * Pre-launch product information * Access to LEGO Company via mailing list and/or quarterly conference call with various groups inside the company * Access to the private LEGO Ambassadors community forums * Invitations to participate in top-secret projects * Invitations to participate in local LEGO marketing events …and a range of other things I’m working on now. This list will likely grow over time.

As an Ambassador, what do I need to agree to do?
LEGO Ambassadors agree to be active contributors to the LEGO world-wide community by engaging in activities such as:

* Engaging in fan-to-fan support in online forums
* Actively participating with local LEGO clubs, or forming LEGO clubs if none exist locally
* Posting feedback, guidance, and other types of support in their favorite online communities
* Writing articles for publication online and offline
* Presenting LEGO building subject matter at events and conferences, as well as local user group meetings

Basically: Do more of what you’re doing already.

Additionally, we’d hope that Ambassadors will actively work together with the LEGO Company on projects that may arise.

Does this cost money?
No. This is a free program, you don’t need to pay to join. You will also not be paid for services, and are not considered to be employees of the LEGO Company.

How do I join LEGO Ambassadors?
A person interested in being a member of LEGO Ambassadors should send an email to ambassadorprogram@lego.com with the following information: * A detailed list of places where you contribute to the LEGO community (online and offline) * Links to your personal Web site and/or LEGO creations galleries * An overview of your offline LEGO activities * Other information that helps show you’re “community mindedness”

This email IS your application, so make it a good email. :) We’ll likely receive many applications from many qualified individuals; unfortunately, not all applicants can be accepted into LEGO Ambassadors. LEGO Ambassadors spots are up for review every six (6) months, so if you aren’t accepted you can always increase your community efforts and re-apply. In fact, I hope you do.

We will be sending out invitations to join by 31 January. Again, this is very much a work in progress idea. The first Ambassadors will help define the program for the future. The trailblazers will most certainly experience a few road bumps along the way, but at the end, I’m quite positive that we’ll have a terrific community program where, as I always say “Everybody goes home happy”.

Looking forward to seeing a ton of applications in my inbox!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: LEGO Ambassador Program

Post by footsteps »

Glencaer wrote:The latest news from Jake McKee:
Drool. That would be so fun. Too bad I'm not active enough (either in the community or building). I'd certainly like to nominate some people.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

footsteps wrote:
Glencaer wrote:The latest news from Jake McKee:
Drool. That would be so fun. Too bad I'm not active enough (either in the community or building). I'd certainly like to nominate some people.

Alan
Alas, I'm in the same position. We really do need an ambassador from Classic-Castle though. This is a great opportunity, and it would be fantastic to have a member from this board to represent the greater interests of Castle fans.

Perhaps an administrator would be willing to take on this responsibility. I appreciate that the admins are already quite busy, but Castle fans really do need some form of representation. If the administrators are too busy, perhaps some form of nomination should be organized. Obviously a nominee would have to accept their nomination. The administrators could throw their support in for the top few nominees, giving some weight to their application.

This opportunity is too important to ignore. I really would like to hear what other members have to say on this issue.

Later.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I'd apply, but I think there are several admins and members here more deserving and more representitive of the castle community. Half the time I feel like I'm a relic anyway (really, I do).

Beyond that, I think I would be applying for only my own personal gain, which is no good way to be involved in such a program.

I could list a few people myself whom I'd nominate.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Right know, I can think of a couple CC people who I think SHOULD apply, but I am not among them.

I wish I was active enough to apply, but I do not feel that I am. However, my situation in life changed greatly, and perhaps I will feel worthy of applying after a few cycles.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok, so I hear a lot of "I'm not worthy" s here, (I'm not either btw :D) but who is worthy then?
Who would YOU nominate for this?
I think the folks who spring to mind are people who are active in LUG's, who have been in the media, who are active in the net, and who offer advice to newbies.
hmmmmmm.....
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Well, I certainly think that Anthony is worthy DESPITE what he says. And you have to remember, just because somebody applies, doesn't mean that they are going to be given a spot as an ambassador. I think that any of the admins are worthy, and really deserve support from the rest of the board.

I also think that there are senior boardmembers such as Jojo who would fill this role nicely. Simply put, there are a lot of members out there who should be applying. Its up to the rest of us to encourage and support them in their nominations.

On that note, I nominate Sava, as he clearly is being too modest for his own good :wink: .

And to you other junior members, who do you think should apply? Who would you support?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I nominate myself! I wish. Too young and too inactive.

However, Mike, is going to become an adult in a couple of months and he is rather Legoed..............hmmmmm have to talk to him.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

I would also Nominate Sava. He is very active I think. An Ben too. And Lenny, and Bruce fo course! I personally think all the admins (that are eligible) should aply, they all are a huge part of this community. And Troy too!

I also think JoJo would be a great person for this. And he lives in Germany so that's a totally diferent country, wich is good.
Space rocks.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Who would YOU nominate for this?
Totally unscientific, but here goes (using C-C names)....

Troy
SavaTheAggie
adm_matthew
Bricksidge
Glencaer
Jojo
Bruce N H
Red Bean
Dragon Master
Legofreak
Lord of the Lego
JPinoy
TwoTonic Knight
ACPin

... and totally unrealistic, but interesting if it happened...
Dr. Robert Carney

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Hmmmm. I'm thinking...

Ben
Keith
Patrick (You ARE worthy)
Jen (that would be interesting hahaha :p)
Lenny
Edit: Oh yeah! and Bruce :D

:)

LR
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Man, that is such a COOL idea! I think there are many qualified individuals on this site, but I would probably nominate...um...well...actually, I'd go with Footstep's list.

D-Man
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Bruce and Jojo would be my first two picks.

At the very least, I hope that at least one castle person will be an ambassador.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Actually Jojo has my vote too. :D it's at least in partially thanks to him I am even here. Most of his MOCS kept me coming back to castle....
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Blueandwhite wrote: We really do need an ambassador from Classic-Castle though. This is a great opportunity, and it would be fantastic to have a member from this board to represent the greater interests of Castle fans.
I agree!! I know that both I and Kev0 sent in applications. I expect competition to be fierce - there are so many people with such impressive contributions to the community and to building.

Just so everyone knows, on the 'representation' side of this, Jake contacted me a few months ago about being a part of GlobalAFOL - essentially a group of AFOL leaders from around the world (including people like Rene Hoffmeister from 1000steine.de, and Tim Courtney from Ldraw/Lugnet). I represent CC and SciBrick, a science fiction LEGO club.

This is why messages from Jake tend to come through me - he posts to GlobalAFOL, and I pass on the message to us.

Also, BenE and myself also know Jake personally, and we are constantly in contact with him, bugging him about pictures of new sets and whatnot. So even if no-one from CC is selected, we still have the representation ;)

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~