Ranks in CC

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

babyjawa wrote:I don't really know what a serf is can anyone tell me?

Cause the sencond rank was serf but, I never knew what it was
A serf is like a peasant. A noble gives the serf shelter in exchange for doing work. It's like being a slave with free will, because they're too poor to do anything else.

Any other guy on the lsit you don't know alot about? :wink:
babyjawa
Steward

Post by babyjawa »

A reeve. I don't know what a reeve is either. Everything else I know.
My life is based on a true story.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

babyjawa wrote:A reeve. I don't know what a reeve is either. Everything else I know.

I think a reeve was something like a bailiff or steward of a manor in the late middle ages. :wink:
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Serfs were generally one step above a slave. A serf was usually tied to a specific piece of land and was required to work the land for the landowner. Serfs could not leave the land and go somewhere else. If the land was sold, they were effectively sold along with it, though they could not be sold directly (and thus not slaves).

Terms like "peasant" and "serf" may have different meanings depending on the country or era in question. A peasant may in fact be the exact same as a serf in any given society, but it also applied to renters, cottagers, and other freeman farmers.

A Reeve was a low ranking official of the law, developed during the Saxon kingdoms. A Shire Reeve (modernized in modern times to "Sheriff") was the reeve of a much larger unit of land (a shire) with commiserate gains of power and prestige.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

babyjawa wrote:
I don't really know what a serf is can anyone tell me?

Cause the sencond rank was serf but, I never knew what it was
A serf is a like a peasant, or if your thinking of a modern day "surf" board.

I'm a Journeyman! Oh man, my avatar represents a dark wizard! Why's there no wizards on the list??

Graynar
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

They're probably saving that for the first person to hit 10,000 posts. :lol:
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

Hey, does anyone know what happens to spam posts? They get deleted. :lol: Hey Nathan, did you delete my "Spam Post" :wink:
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

There is a rank 'journeyman'. Does anyone know what a journeyman does (or did)?
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Nick wrote:There is a rank 'journeyman'. Does anyone know what a journeyman does (or did)?
It's a ranking or rating of a craftsman, usually within a guild. Apprentices do the grunt work while learning the job, and usually are indentured for seven years to a specific Master craftsman. Upon completing his apprenticeship, the craftsman becomes a journeyman who can charge for a day's wage, but still works for a master craftsman. He can change jobs (masters), and in fact was expected to move about and learn from different masters. He would have to produce a "master's piece" (masterpiece) to prove that he was capable and then be elected by the guild to the rank of Master (and pay the initiation fee and dues). He would then be able to set up his own shop and employ apprentices and journeymen of his own.

Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Post by Tanotrooper »

how come you a romin roman thing?
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Tanotrooper wrote:how come you a romin roman thing?
Admins' whim. I think they wanted to experiment with the system a bit, and they first practiced on me and Legofreak (he got to be Monkey King, and I got to be Town Drunk). I wake up to some new sobriquet every now and then - they seem to like seeing how the rat responds to the new maze. :D

Love the tagline by the way. My signature line on my personal email has been "Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant" for years. I used to put it at the top my tests in college (only my Medieval History professor and my snooty England-born Paleontology professor got the joke).

Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Thanks for your description of a journeyman, TwoTonic.
My next rank is a journeyman, so I thought I'd be prepared :wink: .
Admins' whim. I think they wanted to experiment with the system a bit, and they first practiced on me and Legofreak (he got to be Monkey King, and I got to be Town Drunk). I wake up to some new sobriquet every now and then - they seem to like seeing how the rat responds to the new maze.
So an admin just changes your rank name to something (like the romin' roman) and you adjust accordingly by making a new avatar, and new quote lines???
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Nick wrote:So an admin just changes your rank name to something (like the romin' roman) and you adjust accordingly by making a new avatar, and new quote lines???
Works basically like you describe, except the other way around. TT has been doing a lot of roman stuff lately, including changing his avatar and so an admin (not I ;)) changed his title accordingly.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

ha ha ha....

I see he is now a "High Rollin'" Roman... very nice. :lol:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Works basically like you describe, except the other way around. TT has been doing a lot of roman stuff lately, including changing his avatar and so an admin (not I ) changed his title accordingly.
Intersting... So why did you decide to do this to him?