Locked?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

J1A3L5 wrote:I fail to understand the problem of having a larger memberlist. If you want to find the active members, you can usually sort it by post, and then not bother looking at the people with low numbers of posts. I don't even see what anyone would think the forum stands to gain by deleting these accounts - I do see that it stands to lose people to the annoyance of the sitations described by others.

-John "J1A3L5" Langrish.
I was thinking that the large member list is taking up memory on the server, and perhaps slowing it down. Also, if something is useless, it should be gotten rid of. However, now that I know from ottoatm and enigma that some people leave for several months or years and come back, I suppose it wouldn't be very good to delete their accounts.
Or perhaps the members who haven't logged on for some time, and haven't posted anything at all could be gotten rid off. I have a feeling it would be about three quarters of the member list :wink:
Did anyone notice that in the 700 registered users, only a small fraction of them ever post here?
, as Graynar implied.
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

The memberlist will be maintained as is appropriate, when it is appropriate. It does not load the ssytem at all or slow it down, so there is not need for it to be a priority.

Members who have activated their accounts, but have not posted, will not be deleted. There is no need to do so. Members who signed up but never activate their account will be deleted as I get to them. This has to be done manually and is rather time consuming.

A visual confirmation system has been implemented to deter spambots. This requires the user to manually enter charachters from an image, and seems to be working quite well as the number of spammers has fallen dramatically.

BTW: When there were a number of spammers in the member list, almost all of these accounts were never activated so they could not post messages. Messages are more important than the memberlist, so it was not a high priority to remove them.

NICK: Be careful what you wish for. You were once targetted for early termination.

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Oh, so the advertiser accounts are not actually made by people... Well, in that case the E-mail confirmation was an incredibly good idea.
Well, if the large member list does not slow anything down, then let it stay :wink: .
You were once targetted for early termination.
:shock: When was that?! What did I do? :(
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Nick wrote:
You were once targetted for early termination.
:shock: When was that?! What did I do? :(
Hmm... my suggestion, don't ask questions, just take the warning - especially from Troy. ;-) I think your fine now anyway - I suggest leaving this thread alone Nick - it's all good :-).
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Graynar wrote:Did anyone notice that in the 700 registered users, only a small fraction of them ever post here? :?
This is because some of us think before posting, asking ourselves "does this really contribute, or is this just a bunch of fluff?" and it is very hard to find a thread that is actually interesting, or worth posting in. Because maybe some other people asked or answered the question.

I myself have made a rule, if my post does not contain at least 20 words, I refuse to post it.

Hope that answers your question

LR
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

It's a good principle to follow; it will make people consider if their post would contribute to the discussion. Also, I'd suggest not to use emotion faces excessively, and to avoid placing several faces in a row; and making posts with just faces, too.