More feedback for SAH

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

More feedback for SAH

Post by Glencaer »

First everyone needs to know this:

Please be aware that your answers, feedback, ideas, concepts, know-how or suggestions submitted in any communication which you send to the LEGO Group as part of your this survey (aka Your Material) becomes public knowledge and, therefore, the LEGO Group reserves the right to use Your Material, for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, marketing and selling products using Your Material.

Ok, onto the questions! For each item, I'd like your feedback taking into consideration these questions:
Do you like these concepts?
What do you like about them?
What do you not like about them?
What should we pursue and what should we throw out?
Is there anything specific that you'd like to see within the undefined categories (amusement park rides=roller coaster)?

Town
-Everyday buildings on mini fig scale, e.g railway stations, businesses to fit train displays
-Bridges

World Buildings
-Taj Mahal
-Sydney opera house
-Empire state building

Vehicles
-Muscle cars, hot rods
-Ferrari e.g F40, F50, specific historical race represented
-Classic cars

Aircraft
-Civil transport planes
-Classic planes from the early days of aviation

Other Structures
-Oil rig with functions
-Amusement park with functioning mechanical rides

---
If you have an questions about this survey, feel free to ask or PM me!

-Lenny Hoffman
LEGO Ambassador
Last edited by Glencaer on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: More feedback for SAH

Post by Formendacil »

Here's my thoughts...
Town
-Everyday buildings on mini fig scale, e.g railway stations, businesses to fit train displays
-Bridges
This would be sweet. More ordinary, basic Town things would be, put simply, awesome. I've never thought of it before, but I would really like a suspension bridge... some big, huge, old $100.00 suspension bridge... I don't know why... it would just be really cool.
World Buildings
-Taj Mahal
-Sydney opera house
-Empire state building
Hmm.... I'm not sure here... These would make awesome models, for sure, and the parts packs they would provide would be awesome, to be sure. I've just never been much of a big, model-set type buyer. Not a single UCS or Yoda to my name...

The Taj Mahal might well tempt me off of that current pattern...

Assuming that LEGO is willing to let its "No Religion" policy lapse enough to allow a few famous churches, such as St. Paul's, St. Peter's, the Hagia Sophia, St. Basil's, be built as a model along these lines, I'd be on board completely. In fact, I'd have to buy them. All.
Vehicles
-Muscle cars, hot rods
-Classic cars
I'm sure there'd be a lot of great greebly pieces here, and Spacers and Trainheards would give their second-born sons for such a line... but I wouldn't be overly enthused. I'm sure they'd be sweet sets, though.
Aircraft
-Civil transport planes
Planes are good.

I like planes.

If you made an aircraft line, I'd buy some, if not all, that you put out. This would also be a good line for cross-theme appeal, since planes, especially model ones, would appeal to Spacers, Townies, Model builders....

Definitely a good idea.
Other Structures
-Oil rig with functions
Hmm... Beyond what you've mentioned here, nothing comes to mind in this category- at the moment. The suggestions here are awesome, and would have a plethora of awesome pieces, no doubt. Full steam ahead, say I!

All of this sounds awesome, for the record. I hope we see some of this in the upcoming years!

~Michael A. Joosten - Formendacil~
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Question: would the vehicles and aircraft be at minifig scale? It would be really cool if they were, but if not I don't think I would have much interest. (I'm not a big, model-type set buyer either :wink: )
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Glencaer wrote:Town
-Bridges
These sound great! I would definitely buy a lot of these, as I love building in Town.

I'd specifically like to see more houses or apartments, though. And more figs with normal civilian clothes.

Also, some government-type buildings and schools would be nice.
Glencaer wrote:World Buildings
-Taj Mahal
-Sydney opera house
-Empire state building
Great concept, but depending on their size, I may not buy more than one. Still, any of these could prove to be a great parts pack!
Glencaer wrote:Vehicles
-Muscle cars, hot rods
-Classic cars
I'm personally not into vehicles, but it's a good concept. I know that lots of vehicle fans (for lack of a better name, lol) would crawl all over these if a lot of detail was involved.
Glencaer wrote:Aircraft
-Civil transport planes
Like Formendacil, I also like planes. Put them in minifig scale, and I also might buy them all! I like where LEGO is going with their civil transport planes, but I prefer multi-piece, non-juniorized wings.

I'd also love to see minifig scale versions of the Wright Brothers' and Red Baron's planes.
Glencaer wrote:Other Structures
-Oil rig with functions
These sound excellent! If great pieces, design, and minifigs are included with the playability, I'll be all over them.
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Town
-Bridges
Yes, very much so.

It's the solution to the problem we currently have in the KK2 and Viking sets - too much uniqueness. It's ok to have multiple every day buildings, and sets made of parts that are easily rebuilt into other, very different structures. The 4886 Building Bonanza set is a very good example of how that can work effectively.

They're not castle :) Aside from that, they'd could easily fall into either being prohibitively priced to make LEGO a profit (ie. big bridges), or cheaper but too simplistic for display use, at least as-is.

Pursue a generic residencial house, a generic small office building, a generic multi-level office building, a generic strip center, a generic small stone bridge and a generic large technic style bridge. Stay away from trying to go too big, like a sky scraper - people can buy multiple sets if they want that. Build 4 walls! Stay far far away from the 'dollhouse' effect, or worse yet only having one complete facade wall. Large pieces (POOPs) are ok, but try to go for basic bricks as much as possible.

Is there anything specific that you'd like to see within the undefined categories (amusement park rides=roller coaster)?
I'd love to see a storefront/apartment building, one with a store on the first floor and a level or two of housing on top. A post office or parcel service center would be neat - could tie into the airport. A movie theatre would be a cheap build (big hollow box) with the opportunity for lots of minifigs to be included.
World Buildings
-Taj Mahal
-Sydney opera house
-Empire state building
Yes! Yes! Yes!

It's like a non Star Wars UCS series. Lots of parts, lots of detail, but would appeal to a broader range of consumers, much like the three dimensional puzzles do. An excellent source of parts.

They would certainly be price prohibitive, given their probable size.

I'd stay away from non-secular buildings, as historically or architectually interesting though they may be. Go for buildings with a history to them, you could include a short little building biography in the set - educational value.

I love the idea of a UCS Empire State Building, maybe a Chrysler Building, too. Sears Tower, the list goes on and on. The Great Sphynx would be neat. Effeil (sp?) Tower, Big Ben, Neuschwanstein.
Vehicles
-Muscle cars, hot rods
-Classic cars
Sure.

Tried and true. Two words: Model Team. Excellent models, I'd love to see more. As for minifig scale, I'd go for that, too.

Not my thing. I like the look of the occassional hot rod, but building them just seems a bit boring- 4 wheels and a frame.

Skys the limit as far as I'm concened.

Model T, Delorean, the truly unique things.
You could even go for a history of automobile line. Start with the Model A or T, go to the Ferrari (sp?).
Aircraft
-Civil transport planes
Yes.

Airplanes are cool. Great for models, great for play.

Civilian aircraft isn't as exciting as military aircraft, but I can see where one would want to shy away from those (though there's a big market for them anyway).

Pursue models that hold up to play and being just a model. What's the point in giving a child an airplane if it falls apart constantly? But stay away from large, multi-piece parts.

Nothing I can think of.
Other Structures
-Oil rig with functions
No.

Lots of technic, good learning tools. A challenging build.

It's been done to death by the competition. K'Nex comes to mind.

Here you're diving into pure play value, really. Moving sets. I'd stay far far away from roller coasters, it's been done. Other, stand alone rides may work, though. Ferris wheel, merry-go-round, etc.

You could have a series of sets that were interrelated, maybe even interconnected. A traveling carnival, for example. Rides that could be arranged together in a tight formation, maybe even shared a common power source (or a series of power sources). You could even have them tear-downable into trailers to be moved to another location.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.