Some possible advice for new members

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Some possible advice for new members

Post by Sir Kohran »

I've noticed that some new members will sometimes post something like "I don't like the new stuff; bring back old Castle!"

Now whilst there's nothing wrong with opinion, this seems more like people 'conforming to the standard' - that in order to be accepted here, you have to hate the new stuff and want all the old stuff back. We all know this isn't true at all - this is a Castle website for all eras and sets - and I think it would create a rather negative atmosphere if this was allowed to continue. Does anyone agrees with this, or am I just being cynical?
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

"Bring back the old stuff" means different things to different people. Some of us would like Crusader and Black Falcon sets while others prefer Dragon Masters, Royal Knights, or Knight's Kingdom I. I do think that KK2 has improved alot. Some new and useful pieces have been introduced in this line (new shields, hand crank for a drawbridge, etc).

I would like to see a line with as good a piece selection as older lines in order to build better mocs.

Ben
DS9
Laborer

Post by DS9 »

i'm pretty much old school, so i like personnally the castle theme from its beginning upto the last "real" castle theme series around 1995/1996. I don't like the new style lego has, but i do see that lego starts making better ones. This year (2006) already has some sets that are pretty usefull, 2007 would have probably more good sets. but it will take time before lego makes the right decisions again. "Bring back the old stuff" thing is just that some of us miss those days, the sets had so many more bricks. now they just have large pre-fab bricks that you only can use if you are really young. so the basic element of making things harder to make something just dissapeared with that. I don't want to see DUPLO kind of bricks in my lego since it won't look pretty. i'm pretty sure more people think this way. there is nothing negative about that, it's just the feelings some of us have.

I am 24 now and i build since i was 4 years old with regular lego, i just fall in love with the lego that was made in that time. i'm pretty sure you like the newer lego since that is in the middle of your youth being 15 and all. But please try and see the point we "oltimers" are getting to.
Crazy.. i was crazy once.. once they put me in a round room with a dot in the corner i liked that dot i counted that dot... one.. one..one..one ..it drove me crazy!! Crazy?!? I was crazy once!!
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm not talking about whether the new stuff is good or bad. What I mean is how new members talk about it.
i'm pretty sure you like the newer lego since that is in the middle of your youth being 15 and all.
Lol, I can remember having the Royal Knights go off on all sorts of crazy adventures. I know how you feel - I have my own nostalgia for the days of the 90s and I'd love to have some of the great old sets back. But that's not what I'm talking about here.

Anyway, what I meant is NOT that the new stuff is good or bad or anything like that, but that a lot of new people seem to say this just to try and fit in - that by saying the old stuff is better they'll be more accepted by the regulars.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS9
Laborer

Post by DS9 »

lol, don't worry. i got more castle theme lego then any other theme. almost all are classics. so i dont "use" the people here to fit in, infact i dont care if i fit in or not. its all about the mocs and sharing the hobby with others.
Crazy.. i was crazy once.. once they put me in a round room with a dot in the corner i liked that dot i counted that dot... one.. one..one..one ..it drove me crazy!! Crazy?!? I was crazy once!!
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Sir Kohran, I not only understand what you're saying but agree. I have seen some people get 'bashed' because they saw no problem with a purple knight. Those people either stopped posting or switched their viewpoints. While people are certainly allowed their opinions it does seem that some adopt others' opinions to be with the "in" crowd.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I personally like everything from the beginning up to KK1, and I even kind of like KK2v3. I do know what you mean though, as when I was in public school, a lot of my friends (and occasionally me) pretended to like things that they actually didn't. In fact, at Thanksgiving, I was talking to one of my cousins and I said that there might even be something nobody actually likes, but everyone thinks everybody else likes it, so they all pretend that they do. The opposite could be true as well.

I definitely think that people should be allowed there own opinions, which is why, even though I don't personally agree with you on KK2, I'm glad you voice your thoughts. We should have some way of telling people that they can think the way they want to. Maybe all the members who've been here for a while should agree not to jump on new users who like those things.

~smcginnis

P.S. Wonderful topic, BTW.
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Personally, it seems to me that it's a fad to bash the newer castle lines. Now, I understand and respect everyone's opinions, but the constant attacking of any line gets old fast.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'd just prefer stuff that isn't purple or baby blue or other such nonsense... and I'd like more bricks... If Lego would just stick to that, I don't see how any line could be bad.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Recluce wrote:Sir Kohran, I not only understand what you're saying but agree. I have seen some people get 'bashed' because they saw no problem with a purple knight. Those people either stopped posting or switched their viewpoints. While people are certainly allowed their opinions it does seem that some adopt others' opinions to be with the "in" crowd.
Thanks very much...you got down what I was thinking of exactly.
smcginnis wrote: do know what you mean though, as when I was in public school, a lot of my friends (and occasionally me) pretended to like things that they actually didn't. In fact, at Thanksgiving, I was talking to one of my cousins and I said that there might even be something nobody actually likes, but everyone thinks everybody else likes it, so they all pretend that they do. The opposite could be true as well.
Yes. 'Peer pressure' is the term that comes to mind.
smcginnis wrote:I definitely think that people should be allowed there own opinions, which is why, even though I don't personally agree with you on KK2, I'm glad you voice your thoughts.
Thanks. I think that's what a good community is made with - differing opinions that still get along. If people happen to have the same opinion and get along even better because of that, then great. The problem I see is that somehow these good ideals have gone too far - so we end up with new members that think that in order for us to all get along best of all, we must all agree with eachother no matter what the member might really think.
smcginnis wrote:P.S. Wonderful topic, BTW.
Thanks. I think it's something that's been here pretty much since the first KK2 scans were posted and it's about time we addressed it.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Personally, it seems to me that it's a fad to bash the newer castle lines. Now, I understand and respect everyone's opinions, but the constant attacking of any line gets old fast.
So true...
Athos wrote:I'd just prefer stuff that isn't purple or baby blue or other such nonsense... and I'd like more bricks... If Lego would just stick to that, I don't see how any line could be bad.
We all have our personal ideas of what the perfect line is, and I think we should share them. The problem is that we seem to have reached a point where there is one set idea of what the perfect Castle line should be and people think they have to go along with that.

Another mayeb more serious problem with this 'conformity' is that it damges the site reputation. Lego reads these boards and takes notice of what we say and has already improved their sets in the ways we'd like. But if all they ever see is non-stop complaining, then one day they'll just shrug and say 'Why bother trying to please them? Let's make only Bionicles which all the new kids will like.' We might just be deemed as a hopeless cause and be simply forgotten.

- Matt
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Personally... you'll never hear me singing KK2's praises loud and clear.

Quite apart from the issue of adopting such a viewpoint for the reason of fitting in, I think we have an overabundance of "What Happened to the Good Old Days?" threads. Seriously... the Dear LEGO forum is, pretty much, the "We like old Castle LEGO, hate bley, and can't get over the fact that the year is now almost 2007" forum.

Guys... I feel your pain. I like old Castle better than new, and old grey better than bley... but how many threads on it do we REALLY need?
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Great topic. I don't think I've ever gone and said "bring back the old!', and I really don't know if that's even a good idea. I think the Classics should stay classic, but continuing the lines would be cool, but Lego would have to get it right, or people would be really mad. But, who knows exactly what right is? So, I don't think Lego should or even can bring the old themes back to life.

That said, the old is definitely way awesomer than what's out now. I was born in '91, and kind of cought the tail end of the more classic lines. I'm just mad at myself for not being born 20 years earlier.... :wink:
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I think the problem is, that everything that can be said has been said ad naseum...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Re: Some possible advice for new members

Post by Blueandwhite »

Sir Kohran wrote:I've noticed that some new members will sometimes post something like "I don't like the new stuff; bring back old Castle!"

Now whilst there's nothing wrong with opinion, this seems more like people 'conforming to the standard' - that in order to be accepted here, you have to hate the new stuff and want all the old stuff back. We all know this isn't true at all - this is a Castle website for all eras and sets - and I think it would create a rather negative atmosphere if this was allowed to continue. Does anyone agrees with this, or am I just being cynical?

- Matt
Now, I don't agree with bashing the opinions of others, however I do feel that members should be able to voice their own opinions freely. You seem certain that these new members are 'conforming to the standard', but did you stop and consider that many of them actually feel differently than you do on this topic?

And yes, this is a dead horse to those many us who have been around the LEGO community for some time, but for new members, this topic is something they may not have discussed in the past. If you don't agree with those posters, ignore them. So long as they aren't personally attacking you or your right to your opinion, I don't see a real problem.

Sensoring new users because they feel differently on a subject is going a little overboard, isn't it?
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I would agree with you. It seems especially apparent to me with the issue of the "Be on TV" thread. Still, as Blueandwhite said, people should be able to sexpress their oppinions. We just have to find a balence between the two.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.