Ancient Greece!

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

Would you buy Ancient Greece sets?

Yes, all of them and probably multiple copies
40%
Yes, most of them
26%
Yes, some if they struck my fancy
26%
Greece? No way... I like my sets low-fat...
7%
You forgot an option...
2%

Total votes: 43

Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

RichardAM wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:quote]
The other main concern though (and definitely something Lego would consider before going ahead with this, if at all) is the appeal. Obviously the cultural history element would be educational to all, but certainly it's a theme that would shine more in Europe than in the US? Would US kids wan't a history lesson or a si-fi theme with lasers and aliens?

I think your being a bit prejudice in this remark. It's hard to say if US kids would have less interest in roman/greek legos. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like your implying US children are less intelligent therefore would not like something like this. While it's possible they would not find it interesting, the more likely reason is in Europe those greek and roman sites our right in "your own backyard" it's more your own history. It's the otherside of the world for US kids, they don't learn about it as much. "Wild West Legos" were about frontier America and that sold much better in America because US children could relate to it, they learn all about it , and know the places those things happened.

I might have misunderstood you so sorry if I randomly exploded .
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Chris, I'm pretty sure Blacktron was saying the exact same thing as you: It's about connection to the subject matter, not intelligence. But I still think Blacktron may have been off the mark. America has always had an obsession with European history (many of us are of European descent). If it were true that US children wouldn't have as much interest, then it would also have to be true of the Castle theme. Knights never existed in the history of the United States. We didn't have castles, catapults, plate armour, etc.

Wild West was killed off after one year (as I recall). Castle has been sold in the US, on the other hand, for decades. Does anyone really believe that children in the US have any less interest in the latter than in the former, just because one is European and one is American? 'Course not, kids like what they like. The 'Knight' is one of the most recognizable figures to a child. Of course, the Roman legion is not as recognizable to kids, but that has less to do with our history and more to do with Romans just not being as 'media-supported' (for children especially). Even within Italy you'd probably find more interest among children in knights than in Romans. It's just a recognizability thing, and it really has little to do with country of origin.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I get what your saying Damien, these catogories I'm pretty things into are unnecessary and were dealing with children here.

Though I would add that the american view of Knights is very western european directed. When we(using term lightly) think a castle we imagine a overcast green enviroment with grey stone. English, French or German terrian roughly speaking. We of course were founded by Western Europeans.

Pirates and there activities were very New World based and I think that they probably are the most reconizable figure among children. So if I were a debater I'd bring that up.

But your right dividing european from american history is not worthwhile. It's better to approach it as Western history when it comes to images and conceptions.

Modern society values the individual and the knight and pirate are perfect representations of this. So Knights are popular among people.
And of course Lego is about the bricks and castles might just be the best thing to bulid out of Lego bricks.
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

Modern society values the individual and the knight and pirate are perfect representations of this. So Knights are popular among people.
I'm not so sure that modern society's view on the individual has much to do with this. Kids like pirates and knights because pirates and knights have been highly romanticized in modern culture. Did you, as a kid, ever set up a scenario where Pirate A is trying to resist peer pressure by donning a blue shirt while the rest of the crew has red shirts? Nope (at least I don't think so). You might have pirates B, C, and D keelhaul pirate A for being different, but that's a different thing altogether. And as for knights, those guys come a dime a dozen. Often with the same heraldry. I wouldn't necessarily call these themes 'representations of the individual'. Except for KK2, and we all know how that turned out. :wink:
HeartOfDorkness
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

:evil:
Listen y'all.

You are MISQUOTING me and getting in a tizzy. The ONLY contribution I have made to this discussion is this:

"Next best thing to Romans! Actually, if they come from mythology, they'd be BETTER!! Hydra, minotaur, cyclops, harpies, the Kraken, Medusa, Cerberus, Charon, Zeus, Hera, Pegasus, Perseus, Hercules... the list just goes on and on!! Bring on the Greeks!! "

If anybody continues to discuss this thread in that I have said anything else, then you are a moroon and a doody-head who can't read or hold a though in your pin-head. :D

Continue... at your peril.

-Aaron-

READ AND COMPREHEND.

:roll:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This thread is becomming too personal and not addressing the issue of making new Greek or Roman sets. I am locking this thread.

Ben
CC Sets Admin