Castle series based on Warhammer?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Isn't Castle 07 a 'generic' fantasy line?
It's getting there. But I'm sure most people wanting fantasy-style sets would want more than just a dragon or two and some skeletons. Elves, goblins, minotaurs, ogres, giants, dwarves, new accessories and even new beasts (giant spiders, giant snakes, whatever).

I'm imagining what some people would like to see are sets with names like "Dwarven Fire Cannon," "Elven Outpost," and "Orcish Catapult."
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Damien wrote:
Isn't Castle 07 a 'generic' fantasy line?
It's getting there. But I'm sure most people wanting fantasy-style sets would want more than just a dragon or two and some skeletons. Elves, goblins, minotaurs, ogres, giants, dwarves, new accessories and even new beasts (giant spiders, giant snakes, whatever).

I'm imagining what some people would like to see are sets with names like "Dwarven Fire Cannon," "Elven Outpost," and "Orcish Catapult."
Okay, I see what you mean, though I think Lego might b trying to avoid copyright issues - there are too many franchises already with catapult-wielding orcs; and besides that it's not very original. Who knows?

- Matt
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

though I think Lego might b trying to avoid copyright issues - there are too many franchises already with catapult-wielding orcs
Which is precisely why it wouldn't be a copyright issue. If it were, all those franchises would be filing lawsuits against one another. The idea is so old and universal that no one can claim ownership of it, on a generic level. If they could, fantasy as we know it in everything from novel-form to D&D to video games would fall apart.
and besides that it's not very original.
Very true. But in all fairness, knights, kings, castles, dragons, and evil wizards with minions of animated skeletons are not original ideas either. Indeed, those are probably the best-known tropes of fantasy and legend that you can find in nearly all forms of fantsay right down to the origins of fantasy - mythology.

Personally, I'd be happier with historical-theme sets anyway. I just love the idea of a LEGO set titled "Knights of Crecy" or "Henry V's Maurauders." But that's just me and I have no doubt I'm in the minority, where LEGO's overall audience is concerned.
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

LEGOFREAK wrote: I agree with all of the above, but how about some "I'm going to start building MOC's for this - anyone want to build with me?" threads?
That´s a good idea, I´ll join in on that one. I have some LegoHammer figs already, so why not?
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

Damien wrote: Personally, I'd be happier with historical-theme sets anyway. I just love the idea of a LEGO set titled "Knights of Crecy" or "Henry V's Maurauders." But that's just me and I have no doubt I'm in the minority, where LEGO's overall audience is concerned.

Did you know Warhammer has a faction called Dogs of War, and that they have also sets like "Braganza's Besiegers", or "The Alcatani Fellowship", and so on?

But in general, I agree with you. Hahaha, this brings us right back to the beginning of this topic, little packs of some figs and equipment.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Don't forget the debate that ensued amoung TLC when the word "War" was mentioned with regards to a liscense for the StarWars© line. I think the chances of this actually happening are zero to none.

However, I'd love to see a Skavin Lego© minifig. They were the coolest! :3
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Did you know Warhammer has a faction called Dogs of War, and that they have also sets like "Braganza's Besiegers", or "The Alcatani Fellowship", and so on?
Dogs of War isn't a faction. It's a compilation of 'free company' troops that can be added to (almost) any faction to bolster its forces. Mercenaries - not a faction. :)

But yes, I know of them. I used to play Warhammer back in the day.

But in general, I agree with you. Hahaha, this brings us right back to the beginning of this topic, little packs of some figs and equipment.
Absolutely. I'd just prefer actual packs of figs and equipment. Not packs of figs and equipment that cost too much because of some really lame included gaming rules that I'll never bother with.
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

Exactly, if they´d include game rules and you have to pay extra for them, I wouldn´t buy the set.

P.S. Nwinch might design a few LegoHammer decals. Thanks, nwinch!