Is a Chess Set Iminent?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
the_fighting_scot
Gong Farmer

Is a Chess Set Iminent?

Post by the_fighting_scot »

I was wondering if anyone with connections to Lego could ask if they are planning to make a chess set based on the new Castle motif.

I know I would buy at least two, maybe three.
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

Hmm. That does sound pretty likely, with two medieval chess sets out already. However, this thread would most likely go in the 'Dear Lego' section, where your question might even be answered by a Lego employee (though I wouldn't count on it-they keep pretty mum about future releases). On a side note, welcome to Classic-Castle!
HeartOfDorkness
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

Firstly welcome to CC :)
I don't know, but I don't think the chess sets are doing all that well, considering they are actually rather value for money in terms of price per fig.
I would love to get a castle chess set with the new guys (though), that would be really cool! A real army builder :D
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I moved this topic to Dear LEGO. Threads about products we would like LEGO to produce are better in this forum.

I agree that a new LEGO Castle Chess set would be very popular. This suggestion is something I will pass along.

Ben Ellermann
LEGO Ambassador

Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

supernova wrote:Firstly welcome to CC :)
I don't know, but I don't think the chess sets are doing all that well, considering they are actually rather value for money in terms of price per fig.
I would love to get a castle chess set with the new guys (though), that would be really cool! A real army builder :D
Actually the chess sets were (for a while) on the best-selling list on S@H, and clearly the KK2 version sold well enough for a second Viking edition to be created, so I think these are worthwhile and I hope there's another one for Castle 07.

But I agree on the army builder idea...eight Crown knight footsoldiers...in a single set...fully armoured...

- Matt
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

This would be a wonderful idea, provided the soldiers had shields. Currently my main gripe about the new theme is the lack of shields.

At first I just noticed your avitar and thought you were spongey. :oops: Welcome to the land of castles. :D

God's speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Welcome to CC. I hope you enjoy all that this site has to offer. As for the chess sets, I really hope that one is released. However, I also hope that the pieces/figs are fully customizable, and not glued together. That is a definite must for any army builder.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'd personally not see a chess set and would rather Lego devoted the time and energy into building more sets for the Castle line.

Please don't kill this line off after only a year and a half, like the Vikings...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I'd be happy to welcome a chess set for the new Castle line, but I would prefer that none of the pieces are glued in a new set.

It would be nice to see a couple of new characters introduced (monks for bishops, elder queens, lich lords for the evil bishops).

Also some fresh designs for the knights that include a knight figure this time upon some kind of mount and more castle-ish rooks (perhaps with an archer perched inside?).

I don't think it would interfere with the development of the theme at all. It could be a boon to the Castle line to release something like this at the late 2007/4th quarter buying season. As long as the theme continues well into 2008 (and beyond!) anything Castle is welcome to my eyes. Development should ride high on the tails of what is so far a glorious return to Castle.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Strider
Laborer

Post by Strider »

Count Blacktron wrote:I'd be happy to welcome a chess set for the new Castle line, but I would prefer that none of the pieces are glued in a new set.

It would be nice to see a couple of new characters introduced (monks for bishops, elder queens, lich lords for the evil bishops).

Also some fresh designs for the knights that include a knight figure this time upon some kind of mount and more castle-ish rooks (perhaps with an archer perched inside?).

I don't think it would interfere with the development of the theme at all. It could be a boon to the Castle line to release something like this at the late 2007/4th quarter buying season. As long as the theme continues well into 2008 (and beyond!) anything Castle is welcome to my eyes. Development should ride high on the tails of what is so far a glorious return to Castle.
thats how i would like it
Fighting my way through skeletons
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I would like it as Count Blacktron said.

It should be made for the Holiday season and have some post holiday Castle 2007 Chess sets available.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Strider wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:I'd be happy to welcome a chess set for the new Castle line, but I would prefer that none of the pieces are glued in a new set.

thats how i would like it
The problem with having a 'mount' (I assume you mean a standard horse) is that the square the piece stands on will have to be much bigger, and so will the entire board. I don't see it happening somehow. That said, maybe they could do a horse head with a knight fig right behind it to 'symbolise' a rider.

- Matt
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Oh, it would be popular... even if I had to make it popular myself. I know that I would buy three of these at the least.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

On Eurobricks there are rumors about it coming out soon. Hopefully they know what they are talking about.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Thats something to hope for.