Revisit the Ninja Theme

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
spect_spidey
Serf

Revisit the Ninja Theme

Post by spect_spidey »

Dear Lego,

Please consider revisiting the Castle Ninja sub theme. It is nearing 20 years since this theme had been introduced. I feel it is time to rework and release it again. Or just release a few of the old sets again. Thank you for your time.
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

it hasnt been twenty years it more like 9-10 years.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Re: Revisit the Ninja Theme

Post by Sir Kohran »

spect_spidey wrote:Dear Lego,

Please consider revisiting the Castle Ninja sub theme. It is nearing 20 years since this theme had been introduced. I feel it is time to rework and release it again. Or just release a few of the old sets again. Thank you for your time.
I can only hope that was a number typo in the second sentence.

As to whether a Ninja theme should be introduced...we already have Exo-Force so I doubt Lego will see the need for another Asian warrior theme.
Also, the Ninja line ended after just two years, so it probably wasn't particular popular and I doubt Lego will want to risk a line that might not sell. I would love to have some of those sets again though.

- Matt
spect_spidey
Serf

Post by spect_spidey »

Yes, it was a typo. I meant almost 10 years. * Feels old age creep up as I turn 32* But I always felt that the designs of the Ninja theme buildings were excellent, just needed to be fleshed out a little more. While it is true that the theme only lasted 2 years. I am not so sure that it was due to sales, but maybe a shift in focus. I mean these sets seem to sell really well on the secondary market. And there are very few of these sets that make appearances on EBay. If you search for ninja in all of the Lego category it turns up only around 70 listings or so. Heck the Flying Ninja Fortress weighed in at 653 pieces and easily goes for around $100 U.S. when used without a box. Just my opinion, I guess. But man do I like those sets.
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I would welcome the idea of having more ninja sets. I would be really interested to see different colored ninjas aside from black, grey, green, red, and white.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I would like having more ninja sets as I really like the original sets/figures. We unfortunatly might have to wait as lego seems pretty focused on the "Crown Knights/Undead theme" for right now.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Post by DanDanLegoman »

They should just put some ninjas in the Exoforce line. Ninjas in fighting mecha, how perfect would that be?
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

DanDanLegoman wrote:They should just put some ninjas in the Exoforce line. Ninjas in fighting mecha, how perfect would that be?
It would depend if they carried katanas and/or came with Samurai armour (which I would doubt if they were fighting from inside a giant steel mecha). But I do like your idea about expanding the Exo-Force line into more ninja-like ideas; why not have some small sets in the Golden City (I think that's it) with the four human guys fighting robots on foot with katanas? That way the theme could cover both Space and Castle.

- Matt
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

It would be nice if LEGO not just revisited Ninja theme, but gone into the other Asian kingdoms/empires. Particularly China. But PUHLEASE don't make them look weird like in Orient Expedition.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

spect_spidey wrote:While it is true that the theme only lasted 2 years. I am not so sure that it was due to sales, but maybe a shift in focus. I mean these sets seem to sell really well on the secondary market. And there are very few of these sets that make appearances on EBay. If you search for ninja in all of the Lego category it turns up only around 70 listings or so. Heck the Flying Ninja Fortress weighed in at 653 pieces and easily goes for around $100 (you).S. when used without a box. Just my opinion, I guess. But man do I like those sets.
The fact of relatively few showing up suggests that there wasn't a very big production run due to them not selling well. Although it's possible that just the original buyers of the Ninja sets have held on to them and it's not been long enough yet for them to sell off old "toys".

They are sparser on ebay, but actually I would not say they always go for a lot. Sometimes they do, but that's probably more down to the sparser listings. I've seen them go for modest amounts too, and indeed I've bought one set quite cheaply and am now looking out for more. Disclaimer - I only look at EU listings shipping to Ireland - mostly UK and Germany listings.

They're definitely very nicely designed - interesting detail and good sound structures. Plenty of special bricks/colours but useful enough parts for all kinds of creations.

I definitely hope to get more.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Ninja sets were better for parts than almost anything available in the late 1990s. I know many AFOLs who grabbed as many as they could and would not trade the parts for anything out there. It was a good theme, sets were fun and well constructed, sets lent themselves to easy joining between multiple copies and the glorious minifigures!! If we go back to Imperial China or Japan as a theme following the return to Castle, then I would welcome the Ninja theme back as an old and treasured friend. Some fond memories there... 8)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I think they should revisit ninja as well - and I would also love to see some expansion into Chinese and other Asian themes as well!

I don't think Orient Expedition was silly... I actually love those figs... so I guess I'm not too picky. Any further expansion would be good in this system~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
greendragon420
Villein

Post by greendragon420 »

Id also like to see more ninja/samauri sets i was never able to grab hold of many setscept for a few mini fig packs of ninjas and samauris ...
and was never able to get any white ones guess i could spend the extra dough and get a couple off bricklink but they seemed a bit pricy to me for a fig.
We've had one breakfast yes,but what about 2nd breakfast?
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Ninjas would be ok, but personally I'd like to see them continue on the fantasy castle sets for a while, rather than getting distracted with ninja.

I'd also rather they did a different area of the world they haven't explored yet (i.e. Greece/Rome, Africa, etc.)

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]