Complaint on the new Skeleton design

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Legolas
Foot Soldier

Complaint on the new Skeleton design

Post by Legolas »

Dear LEGO....

why.. why did you decide to change the design of the Skeleton torso after so many years.. and on top of that.. why didn't you atleast make a new mold for a new skeleton arm.. instead you rehashed the ol' battle droids arms

This is a skeletal arm that is well proportioned (within the realm of minifig scale)

This.. on the other hand.. is not..

Come on guys... I have atleast 30 of the ol' fashioned skeletons.. and was looking forward to increasing my undead army even farther.. thankfully, I have only 1 of the new style, and when I went to add him to the tub with the rest, they laughed at his misshapen arms.. thats not cool..

I'm all for the posable arms, but give the poor guy some arms that actually look like they belong..

That is all.
Dr. J
Steward

Post by Dr. J »

I know what you mean with them being out of proportion with the others, but LEGO had good reason to make these new versions.

First, what happens when you put a weapon in an old skellie's hands and then move him around a bit?
It usually quickly falls out. LEGO knew that kids were going to be playing with the skeletons a lot and an old fashion skellie just can't take the heat, so to say, of being thrown around while holding weapons.

Also, as you said, the new ones can move up and down and stay there, unlike the new ones.

Hope this clears something up.
And just so you know, I also prefer the old guys. I hope the Castle skellies are only limited to Castle 07. :?
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dr-J]My Brickshelf; come on in and take your shoes off![/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerng/]My Flickr; wipe your feet at the door and wash your hands.[/url]
<><
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

I too think LEGO should have stuck with the older designs.

Though I do understand they had to change it so that the arms could stay in place, I don't understand why they couldn't go that bit extra to create a better arm. Something that looks like the old skelly arm, but with a clip on each end.

I was looking forward to adding to my old few skellies, but since these just look so different, I'm just selling the new ones off.

But ah well, it seems as though the skellies were a one year deal, and will now be getting the Goblins. (A good step up from skellies, in my opinion.)

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I don't particualrly like the arms either but I think they were needed to made them playable. And anyway, I doubt we'll be seeing them again as the new line is on trolls.

- Matt
N00bPatrol
Peasant

Post by N00bPatrol »

also the arms have no bend in them whatsoever so whenever they hold something it looks weird....
Got LEGO?
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

I have concieved a solution, I have yet to try it, but:
On a new skelly arm, cut off a whole clip. on an old skelly arm, cut the attatcher thing off. glue the clip onto the old skelly arm and voila! posable, and scaled!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

doodstormer wrote:I have concieved a solution, I have yet to try it, but:
On a new skelly arm, cut off a whole clip. on an old skelly arm, cut the attatcher thing off. glue the clip onto the old skelly arm and voila! posable, and scaled!
This could be a good idea for display purposes, because it wouldn't be very durable, the glueing surface is very small and that makes it very fragile.
Not good for play or moving them a lot, but for posing them once and putting them on display, I think this would work.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Aliencat wrote:
doodstormer wrote:I have concieved a solution, I have yet to try it, but:
This could be a good idea for display purposes, because it wouldn't be very durable, the glueing surface is very small and that makes it very fragile.
Not good for play or moving them a lot, but for posing them once and putting them on display, I think this would work.
As someone who spent hours on end gluing metal figures for D&D, I would agree that this is for display only. Many of my metal Dragon's wings had to be re-glued. Plus the glue fumes kind of suck. :wink:
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Not only did LEGO make new torsos and arms, they made new heads! Three faces for skeletons (not counting the heads in black).

There is a plus side to the arms. They aren't wobbly and they can hold their weapons without looking drunk.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Re: Complaint on the new Skeleton design

Post by RebelRock »

Legolas wrote: instead you rehashed the ol' battle droids arms
Actually no, the old battle droid arms were a slightly different design with both of the clips oriented in the same direction. The new arms have one clip rotated at an angle to allow the holding of weapons. As a way to conserve costs, Lego is using the same mold to produce these components for droids and skeletons. New molds are very expensive. Most Lego parts are used in many different sets to utilize the parts that are currently in production.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

The only thing LEGO should've done is to make the skeleton arms the same length as the older version.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

JPinoy wrote:The only thing LEGO should've done is to make the skeleton arms the same length as the older version.
Agreed. My only critique at this point is length. This is a new mold, isn't it?

As for the posing... it's about an even trade-off compared to the older skeleton arms.
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

lil Jon wrote:Not only did LEGO make new torsos and arms, they made new heads! Three faces for skeletons (not counting the heads in black).

There is a plus side to the arms. They aren't wobbly and they can hold their weapons without looking drunk.
They made three faces for the skeletons?
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Escape The Fate wrote:
lil Jon wrote:Not only did LEGO make new torsos and arms, they made new heads! Three faces for skeletons (not counting the heads in black).

Yes:

The very old "happy" skeleton, the semi-old "mean" skeleton, and the new "undead" skeleton. There is also a black version of the "undead" and two black versions of the "mean" head.
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

Azaghal wrote:
Escape The Fate wrote:

Yes:

The very old "happy" skeleton, the semi-old "mean" skeleton, and the new "undead" skeleton. There is also a black version of the "undead" and two black versions of the "mean" head.
Oh i thought he meant 3 new faces for the current line. thanks for pointing that out though.