Lego Music Sets

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Lego Music Sets

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Dear Lego, I really think it would be prudent to consider expanding your demographic and filling in overlapping niches with product lines sure to sell very well. Some of these I may have mentioned before, but it never hurts to repeat them :)

We know Lego city is full of cops, firefighters, medics, and construction workers... we get it. But what about its citizens, and its other business professions??? How about musicians?

Bridge the gender gap and release a pop culture line starting with music artists (fictional). Each set could contain 4 to 6 figures and accompanying instruments (microphone, a grip-able guitar (maybe with a 1x3 plate fretboard that can be swapped out??), a keyboard (brick built?, a brick built drum set. Here are _SOME_ things that could be included in each of the sets:

A. Hip Hop/Rap Set. A minifigure torso with a giant medallion (flava flav/mr t). One Blue, one yellow, and one magenta windbreaker jumpsuit torso with black shirt printing and white double-stripe accents (black for the yellow one (kill bill, anyone?)). A few brown heads might be nice (some gold teeth in a nice grin for one, sunglasses for another??). Throw in a black overalls top perhaps. Dreadlocks hair piece. Female face with hoop earrings.

B. 60's Rock: Silver peace medallion torso. The long hair piece (harry potter mermaid/exo force), but in dark tan? Tie-dye shirt!!! Perhaps an afro. Mutton chop head. Rose colored glasses female head (janis joplin?) Torso with vest and ascot, and an afro hair piece (hendrix??).

C. Punk & Metal: Black minifig head with white facepaint design (with light blue accents). Two mohawks, one green, one black. Brown arms on a white torso with suspenders and some kind of logo. Black torso with red anarchy logo and yellow arms. Could recycle some extreme faces here. Dark Red Hermoine hair for female rock diva of some kind. Skeleton face. A top hat. Frilly tuxedo pattern (can't think of which two colors would be best)??

D. Country/Folk. Nuff said.

E. Fringe/Electronic: Headphone 'hair' piece? Devo flower pot (lol). Dark purple female hair normal. Etc...

The well is running dry at this point, but I'm sure there's enough substance here to run with. Just need to bundle 'similar' music themes together and let people mix and match what they want their band to be like.

Then release a stage set with bouncers and a few fans, maybe a contemporary singer figure. Your customers will come back and buy the stage after they get the separate band set they want.
Relnvar
Villein

Post by Relnvar »

Hah, I kind of like this idea! I would love a rock band theme. A Battle of the bands set, with some brick-built drums, a guitar & bass, some brick-amps, and maybe a mechanical skull for part of the stage. That would be awesome.
Maybe even a tour bus, and a few other stages and instruments.
Then to accompany those, some minifigure packs like those that you mentioned.

Though, I'm not sure how well this would sell... Hopefully it would; if it should come out. Nevertheless, an awesome idea.
Last edited by Relnvar on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Sign me up for this idea. :wink:

With the recent Impulse sets though, maybe TLG could provide a range of musicians that you could buy individually, e.g guitarist&guitar+amp, drummer and drum set- this would be a good method of introducing other civilians too.

I definitely like the idea of having different genres or ages of music though- i'm pretty sure it would be educational as well as fun, and i'm pretty sure it would only encourage youngsters to learn an instrument for themselves.
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I love the idea.
Lego could do a concert festival set called "Brickstock", Lego's version of Woodstock. A couple of bands and at least 20 minifigs for the crowd.
The set would be expensive though, probably $200.
A Volkswagen Bus should also be included!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Or a little set with a band in a gazebo in a park.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Black Falcon
Villein

Post by Black Falcon »

LEGO could do a lot with a music theme! How about a set with a concert stage and rock group (and adoring fans around the stage of course)? Maybe a "build a band" kind of thing where they could sell a stage/performing area separately from small sets of three or four minifig bands/music groups?

And what about classical? It'd be neat to see a LEGO orchestra (and then I could recreate the little animation at the end of the Lego Star Wars game with the stormtroopers playing in an orchestra! If you don't know what I'm talking about look here).
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

I like the classical concert idea, and the tour bus. A gazebo... barbershop quartet with some pinstripe vests! :)

Interesting suggestion that some of these be impulse sets... In that case, Lego ought to start a theme (lego metropolis, or lego world, etc) of profession impulse sets. These could be collectible one-off productions, even.
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

This is a very interesting and unique idea, one that I think LEGO should really take notice of.

I'm sure such a line (or such sets) would do very well among a wide age range.
Classical would be really cool! Not too sure how it wold market with children, but I'd sure love to see it.

Even if LEGO just introduced one type of town set with musicians I would be quite happy.
A coffee shop similar to the design (quality) of Cafe Corner, Market Street, ect. With a couple of performing musician would be neat.

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Paradosis
Laborer

Post by Paradosis »

I'd love to see something like this, either in regular sets, or even in impulse sets.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I'm sure it would be a great line, though I don't think Lego would be too eager given some of the things bands are often related to (drugs, etc.) that Lego would rather not touch.

- Matt
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Sir Kohran wrote:I'm sure it would be a great line, though I don't think Lego would be too eager given some of the things bands are often related to (drugs, etc.) that Lego would rather not touch.
Lego City's got that many police stations i'm sure there wouldn't be a drugs problem. ;)

But there's no need for references to drug-use to be made- as a showcase of musical genres and themes and educating in this respect, I don't there's any problem with target markets or the theme being child unfriendly?
Matt BeDar
Archer

Post by Matt BeDar »

What if Lego made a minifig of Weird Al from his White and Nerdy music video along with a Donny Osmond minifig. :lol: I could see that set sealing like crazy. I would most definitely buy one.

Oh, just a spin off this thread inspired. City Comedians. Of course, it would be kind of difficult to do.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Or even an entire line of impulse sets dedicated to professions/various activities.

Street vendor selling hotdogs in a cart
Weight lifter (yellow arms, black torso, magenta legs, curly moustache?? Dark tan flat top hair?)
Flower Delivery (white baseball cap with flower print on it)
Mime (striped torso)

AFOL :) (lego print container or bricks and a mini lego set)
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

This is actually a really good idea. A few other things is stuff like Jazz and Blues. The gazebo with the band is a great idea too. Remaking some famous musicians for impulse sets would be cool, but I doubt that would happen.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

This thread reminded me of my lute-playing creatures...

"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses