Dear LEGO: Please DON'T make a ____ theme

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Plus, being a parts monkey, any line that renders useful/fun/innovative pieces is also a good thing in my book, no matter how stupid the actual line is. Spongebob, anyone?
Agreed. Bionicle does have its limits, but there are several parts which I consider useful within that line.
Bear
Peasant

Post by Bear »

I think Bionicle is the perfect example of what the very first post was about. Bionicle had no movie, game, tv, comic, and or history of any kind. It was just an idea that Lego ran with and it was huge (Thanks to some pretty creative TV spots that made a toy seem fun).

Licensing is just away to steal imagination.
frogstudio
Gong Farmer

Post by frogstudio »

If I would have to suggest a License for LEGO to make, I would choose Asterix. REALLY great characters (and lots of them), most of the basic bricks are already there(log bricks for the roman forts, viking helmets,lng white beard, egyptian pieces..and so on). It would be cross theme, as the Gaul village could easily fit into castle. Roman soldiers would open a path for a history theme. I would love it... Wouldn't you?
Any fans in Argentina, contact me :)
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

frogstudio wrote:If I would have to suggest a License for LEGO to make, I would choose Asterix. REALLY great characters (and lots of them), most of the basic bricks are already there(log bricks for the roman forts, viking helmets,lng white beard, egyptian pieces..and so on). It would be cross theme, as the Gaul village could easily fit into castle. Roman soldiers would open a path for a history theme. I would love it... Wouldn't you?
That would be interesting, but I don't think lego figures could capture the stark variety in size and shape of the characters. Asterix and Obelix would be practically the same size. :shock:

EDIT: And one more thing. Apart from the US soldiers in the Wild West line (and any others that may escape my memory), TLC seems to avoid creating lines with military ties to specific nations. Roman soldiers, no matter how long ago they lived, are still connected with the modern nation of Italy.

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Ah but they have no problem making german and or soviet soldiers!
Domino Gloria!
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Voran_the_Scholar wrote:
frogstudio wrote: Asterix and Obelix would be practically the same size. :shock:
May I suggest that the short legs would make the required difference just fine.

And sorry, no one I know associates Roman soldiers with modern Italians. Il Duce tried really hard but no one bought into that little fantasy. :D
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

I would really love an Asterix theme, all the people that want romans would be happy, we would get many nice castle parts from the goul village, and a lot of new pieces.
They could even make a body like Hagrid's from the harry potter sets to make obelix bigger.

We are going offtopic, this thread is actually about which theme we don't want...
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

The only thing I don't like about the licensed sets is the flesh colored minis. If Lego had given them the classic yellow treatment (like early SW and HP), then I would be all over the newer licensed sets.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

architect wrote:Star Wars has a very recognizable group of main characters. The fans really like obscure characters just as much. I know they would freak out to get an ackbar or the cantina band. While Indiana Jones characters are not as well known, I think they could still be very successful. I would like to see:

Toht
Sword master who Indy Shoots
Baranca & his Monkey
Sallah
Marcus Brody
Bureaucrats (Government Men)
Willie Scott
Short Round
Mola Ram
Dr. Schnieder
Donovan
Young Indy + Boyscouts + Circus Train with Animals ;)
Kazim
Grail Knight

These figures in well designed sets should be enough for a few years of Indy, if LEGO decides to go that route.

Ben
Please watch this movie
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

timber_wolf899 wrote:Ah but they have no problem making german and or soviet soldiers!
But are they overtly German/Soviet soldiers? No. They're just called "bad guys".

God bless.

Tom

JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Voran_the_Scholar wrote:But are they overtly German/Soviet soldiers? No.
I hate to disagree with you, Tom, but they are overtly Soviet soldiers. At least one of the of the Crystal Skull Indiana Jones sets has the soldier's vehicle labeled as "CCCP".

Build On,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Okay, then. I stand corrected. :)

God bless.

Tom

Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

Donut wrote:
rgurskey wrote:Consider this: Tintin.
It seems like a natural fit with LEGO to me. Maybe the licensing fees are too high.
The problem with Tintin is that it is not very popular here in the US (I am not sure about its popularity in Europe). Three weeks ago, I wanted to buy a Tintin comic book from BN and upon asking the customer service desk where it was, they gave me a weird look. They have never heard of it and I haven't seen it on TV since a few years back on HBO.

Anyways, I do agree with you that Tintin does have that natural fit with LEGO for all the reasons you mentioned, however LEGO seems to be only buying licenses from films or shows that' are airing or about to air in movie theaters or on TV.
Tintin is being developed into a film trilogy (!) by Peter Jackson (!!) and Steven Spielberg (!!!) so don't count out a LEGO theme just yet. If we're speaking globally, Tintin is no more obscure then Speed Racer (although SR probably lends itself to sets better).

All I want is that big red and white rocket. :D

It's a shame the Mickey Mouse sets came out during my Dark Age, because I'd have bought a few of them (and single-handedly doubled their sales ;)).
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Don't make a Halo theme! Why not something based on a videogame series that's actually good, like Final Fantasy or Zelda?
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Stick within Castle and Pirates, classic yellow minis, and most of the needs of this website's community are met quite well. :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-