The LEGO City Team would like some input

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
DARKspawn
Lord

The LEGO City Team would like some input

Post by DARKspawn »

Hi everyone, as part of my Ambassadorial duties I have been asked by Jan Beyer of the LEGO Community Team to get input from YOU for possible sets for the LEGO City theme.

What LEGO needs from you are ideas for 3 seperate set designs that detail a particular theme that you would like to see. Write a short description of your theme and your 3 set ideas. Keep in mind that the target group for these sets will be from 5 to 10 years of age. You must also provide 1 (and only 1) inspirational picture. The picture can be of a MOC or a real life pic, it is only to provide inspiration.

You should be clear that upon entering a suggestion you surrender all rights to the LEGO group to use these ideas as they please, also LEGO are under no commitment to accept any suggestion.

We will be compiling your suggestions and sending them off to the Community Team by the 1st of August - so get cracking!
Last edited by DARKspawn on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

Aambassador Aaron: 8)

With children 5 to 10 years old, being the target group, it would be nice to see some CITY sets of buildings that are (debatably) the most recognizable to them at that age:

1. Home

2. School

3. Church

Nothing big, nothing fancy. Please keep the set to $29.99 or less, and include classic-smiley male and female minifigs.

Edit: Since Aaron changed his post, my theme is "Classic Town Buildings". :P

As for the church set, the precedent has already been set by LEGO in product and as LEGOland model displays. No matter what anyone says, they can always produce another set.
Last edited by Sir Nelson on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

I would love to see sets like these released again:

6345-Aerial Acrobats

6393-Big Rig Truck Stop

6561-Hot Rod Club

Being in that age group when 6345 & 6561 were released, I can remember sitting and staring at the pictures of them in the catalogues for hours on end.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

As it seems to be traditional in designing sets I will suggest one set in each of three "sizes". My suggestions are based on fleshing out a town and playability (hence the heavy emphasis on vehicles).

Small: Sidewalk vendor - a large hot dog or other snack food cart and perhaps a bench/firehydrant/lampost combo with a small gray plate for a "background". Could include a customer fig to sit on the bench which would allow a balance of one male and one female fig.

Medium: Tow truck & car - a pair of six-wide vehicles with a mechanic (female) and driver (also female). The truck should actually be able to tow the car and the car should be similar to the car from HP: Escape from Privet Drive(4728) which had opening doors and a trunk. I suggest female figs to address the chronic imbalance and encourage girls to buy the set. Boys will buy the set because it is cars.

Large: Pizza Parlour and delivery truck - we need a Modular Houses style pizza place with single floor above (obviously could be expanded upwards by owners). Should include four figs: cook (female), delivery boy and two customers (male and female). The delivery van should be six-wide with printed "PIZZA" sign on a wall panel (see below). Including a pizza oven inside with tables and chairs both inside and out front would be good but the upper floor could be left empty for whatever the owner would like to add.

Panel, Decorated 1 x 4 x 3 with Red Cafe and Black Semi-Truck Pattern

EDIT: Hmmmm, over on Brothers Brickthey are asking for more about the "theme".

I will add that here:

Theme: Busy Street - life is busy in the LEGO city but what you need is near at hand. Enjoy a quick lunch as you go. Keep the traffic moving. Have dinner with a friend.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

"There is no violence, no politics and no religion in Lego City." - Karsten Juel Bunch, Senior Designer and Creative Lead for LEGO City line

I guess that means Sir Nelson's church is out???

EDIT:

I need to take more time to think about this....
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Post by RebelRock »

If Lego city is so progressive, nonviolent and free of politics, why do they need a police force?

I think if the city is such a utopian community then how about some alternatives to the gas guzzler vehicles they think are so exciting to kids?

Bike shop: male and female customers, mechanic, rack of bikes for sale, cash register, etc.

Pizzeria: Pizza cook, printed pizza tiles, oven, outdoor seating, bicycle delivery.

Delivery van: Maybe Sprinter style with packages and worker, biodiesel sticker on the back. :wink:

Last edited by RebelRock on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

RebelRock wrote:If Lego city is so progressive, nonviolent and free of politics, why do they need a police force?
Haha!

Reposted from TBB:
Name of the theme: [ Suburbia ]

Short description of the theme:
The houses and parks of a modern small town

Possible set idea #1 (with short description):
House: Much like the “Creator” houses we have now, with a family and car. Furnished interior. 40-60$

Possible set idea #2 (with short description):
On the road again: two cars- maybe a car and a truck. Built agian in the detailed, realistic style reminescent of the Jeep in “Peril in Peru” Indiana Jones set. Maybe 5-wide?

Possible set idea #3 (with short description):
Park: Slide, swingset, children. Benches and brick-built trees. Maybe a couple, biking? A Picnic on a picnic table. Mother pushing a stroller. Hopefully 6-8 figs.

I also liked the idea of an airplane set that's NOT an airport, just a coupla stunt planes.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Tedward wrote:Hmmmm, over on Brothers Brickthey are asking for more about the "theme".
This is correct & I have edited my post to reflect this.
RebelRock wrote:I think if the city is such a utopian community then how about some alternatives to the gas guzzler vehicles they think are so exciting to kids?
I tend to agree with Rock personally, I'd love to see some environmentaly conscious set designs :)
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Copy/paste job from the Brothers.

Name of the theme: [Recreational Beach]

Short description of the theme:
Lego City goes to the beach for recreation and spending free-time! This theme focusses on social ideas and communities rather than the coastguard/harbour subthemes, showing an alternative to the work/work/work mindset of the existing themes.

Possible set idea #1 (Convertible):
A fancy new car for the minifigs to drive and take to the beach. built six stud/eight stud wide, detachable roof, and minifigs, one male, one female. Opening trunk and engine.

Possible set idea #2 (Beach Sports):
A water based set with jetskis, surfboards, perhaps a small motorboat. Avoid the need to make it competitive- numerous minifigs having fun, a small shed/building can contain flippers, scuba gear, the surfboards etc.

Possible set idea #3 (Beach House):
Similar to the Paradisa mansion here, but redesigned to accomodate the minifig family included. Detachable rooms, furniture, A pool perhaps, with palm trees. A space/garage could be included for the convertible (bought seperately!).
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

DARKspawn wrote: I tend to agree with Rock personally, I'd love to see some environmentaly conscious set designs :)
I agree, but that might be considered politics to some. Also, plastic building toys are made from oil, so advertising bio-diesel might seem hypocritical.

I have an idea for a theme. I'll do a write-up in the near future.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I would recommend that Lego City take a step in a new direction.
How about a futuristic city? Say in the year 3000?

The 3 sets could include:

1. A small downtown section of a futuristic city.
2. A futuristic transportion station (might include a space port, or futuristic monorail)
3. The house of the future.
This would be a surburban house but it would include all of the amenities & details of a house from the year 3000.

Here's an image for futuristic inspiration:
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/6940/f ... webys1.jpg
(Its not my image, I found it on the google images)
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Post by RebelRock »

rogue27 wrote: I agree, but that might be considered politics to some. Also, plastic building toys are made from oil, so advertising bio-diesel might seem hypocritical.
Preserving the very air you breathe and not trashing the place that you live is not a fad. People who disregard that need to use their brain a little more. I think that the police, which is a direct arm of the government(and is already a Lego theme), has more to do with politics than the basic instinct of self preservation.

Besides, if we stop using petroleum for energy we'll have more to make Lego bricks with. :) Seriously.
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

i like to see a nice 4x4 car with a home trailer much like the smaller scale version from the latest creator set (the one that comes with the ferry).

i also like the hotdog/small-time vendor idea. that could be a nice $10 set.

a nice little pizza or restaurant would be great but i doubt it will be in the right price range.
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

As has been stated in a prvious thread...

1. I think a modular house with interchangeable rooms. Rooms could be purchased seperately and added to the house to make it grow but the base house could be on par with the creator ones that have come out in the last two years.

2. Pet Shop. Owner, customer and a couple of animals in a nice freindly atmosphere. Oh...and a monkey. Must have a monkey. :) Alternately this could be an adoption center.

3. Diner. I know this is pretty much a N.A. phenomenom, but I think a diner using some silver bricks for the roof would be kinda cool.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

rogue27 wrote:
DARKspawn wrote: I tend to agree with Rock personally, I'd love to see some environmentaly conscious set designs :)
I agree, but that might be considered politics to some. Also, plastic building toys are made from oil, so advertising bio-diesel might seem hypocritical.
And even if they're not considered political, I don't think that's what kids are looking for. Kid's don't want to be force-fed environmental or political messages with their toys, they just want cars that move. What the engine runs on is irrelevant to them.