What are you hoping for in the Elf Sets?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:
Jansen wrote:To Sibley: I've never read the Silmarillion, but I'll take your word for it. I based what I said on the Fellowship of the Ring, which I read. To tell you the truth, I don't really like Tolkien's writing style, except for the Hobbit.

To Josh: I did read the Hobbit, but I didn't really think about the Mirkwood elves when I posted. In my post I didn't make myself clear, I was trying to say I didn't want the Tolkien "high" elves.

To Voran: Completely agree with you. It should be up to the builder, and no more pretty-boy elves! :twisted:
I think LEGO will make the elves match Tolkien's Elves like the Dwarves match Gimli, Gloin, etc. But if the do match Legolas, great! I won't have a problem with it because my elves may have different personalities than his. Just like the dwarves in that they're not so greedy as in Tolkien's. I allow the possibilty that Dwarves can be just as powerful as a Glorfindel or Elrond.
"Pretty boy elves" are just as usable as the other types(Wood, Gray, Dark, etc). For the Dwarves I divided them into the "Longbeards" and those with the "Viking" style bearded faces.
We'll all have to see how they turn out.
-Tower
REading what you said, I'm starting to hope LEGO makes the elves in similar ways to D&D sub-races: High, Gray, Drow, Wood, Auquatic, and Wild. (Atleast I think those were all of them. :roll: )
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

What do I hope for from LEGO elves?

That they misspelled it and we're getting an Elvis theme!
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Traveler wrote:What do I hope for from LEGO elves?

That they misspelled it and we're getting an Elvis theme!
Hahaha! Agreed.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jansen wrote:Reading what you said, I'm starting to hope LEGO makes the elves in similar ways to D&D sub-races: High, Gray, Drow, Wood, Auquatic, and Wild. (Atleast I think those were all of them. :roll: )
Well as far as that goes, Tolkien has different kind of elves. Specifically, High, Gray, Green/Wood, Seafaring, and Dark. Hmmm, sometimes I wonder how original some things are. :)

I would also recommend not painting Tolkien's elves in too generic a light, at least not until you have read a greater portion of his work. There are those on this site that will not leave such alone. But I do understand your point, in general, Tolkien's elves are rather....umm....angelic, I guess. But not all, not by far, (cough) Feanor (cough). I would recommend reading the Silmarillion, even if you don't really care, its a good read, and gives a lot of cool back history to Middle-Earth.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Robin Hood wrote: I would recommend reading the Silmarillion, even if you don't really care, its a good read, and gives a lot of cool back history to Middle-Earth.

I would recommend this book as well. It gives a wholly different perspective on Tolkien's elves.

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

Alrighty then, I'll ad that to my reading list, along with all the rest of R.A. Salvatore's books. BTW, not to get to off topic, but has anyone else read some of his books? There really good. Anyways, Robin Hood, I never knew that Tolkien had so many different elf races, thanks for tellling me! :)
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

The Sil is fantastic but do not expect it to read like LOTR. It is more of 'the elf bible' so to speak.

I dont know about you guys but i'm getting antsy for some real elf set news! I mean it is aug now so less than a year to even a summer release.

anyway the peace of the valar be with you.
Domino Gloria!
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

I support the motion on the reading of The Silmarillion. It can take you a little time to read the first time around (name overload!) but it's really good (an example on elves: dwarves aren't the only ones with ocasional gold-lust). The second and third time around take alot less time to read. Mmm, feeling like reading it now. Sixth time, here I come!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Jansen wrote:Alrighty then, I'll ad that to my reading list, along with all the rest of R.A. Salvatore's books. BTW, not to get to off topic, but has anyone else read some of his books? There really good. Anyways, Robin Hood, I never knew that Tolkien had so many different elf races, thanks for tellling me! :)
I'll second the RA Salvatore's Drizzt series (the first three especially) are some of the best I have seen about the Drow (dark elves) ever - other than maybe the D&D Module "Vault of the Drow."
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I hope LEGO makes LEGO elves and leaves the rest out of it.

I have read a good many books with elves in them but I don't like the cookie cutter elves that many fantasy settings use. I like to be surprised when a race is introduced which is why so many of you have commented on the Drow. They were different and they had their own story.

Just my two cents. I want LEGO to surprise me. :D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jansen wrote:Alrighty then, I'll ad that to my reading list, along with all the rest of R.A. Salvatore's books. BTW, not to get to off topic, but has anyone else read some of his books? There really good. Anyways, Robin Hood, I never knew that Tolkien had so many different elf races, thanks for tellling me! :)
A pleasure, anytime. I've read the Hobbit, LotR, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales more times than I can remember. i've also given his non-middle earth books a read. Someday I really want to get into the entire History of Middle Earth series. But that's when I have about a couple months of nothing else to do. Until then, I'll let Formendacil be the ultimate authority on Tolkien. :D

I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

Jansen wrote:MrBlack, you took what I said wrong, I'm not saying I don't like Tolkien elves, I don't like how he makes them the incorruptible, pure, good, immortal stuff.
but dont you get what he was emphasizing the evles are angles. tolken was catholic. but all that is off subgect. now, what im hoping for in the elf sets are lots of trees and forts. but if they are to come I hope that they come in 2010 so that we may have combantion sets like dwarves fighting skelys.
edit: I all so hope that they look like the old chess set bishobs
Last edited by Ben the lego king on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KKI is the best KKI is the best
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Bows. I want bows back. We already had two in the big castle last year, so we know Lego can still make them.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Sir Kohran wrote:Bows. I want bows back. We already had two in the big castle last year, so we know Lego can still make them.
Definitely. And Pitchforks instead of spears or pike, please. :D
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Ben the lego King

I thought the Valar were angels? Elves are after all mortal and imperfect, capabel of falling and repenting. <or not>

Perhaps you could make the argument tha the maiar<sp> are an order of angel too but not sure on that.

anyway what i'm hoping for re the elf sets at this point is SOME INFORMATION! common lego! heh
Domino Gloria!