pirates ahoy? what about castle?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
timber_wolf899
Merchant

pirates ahoy? what about castle?

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Given all the buzz that we may be seeing pirate sets in 2009 I got to thinking on a couple questions.

1. Were things like 7029/7048 at least in part to test the viability of lego ships in the pirate ish style? I know this has come up before, but i think in recent light-the new figs and the TLG interview-it bares renewed consideration. I find it very interesting that we have one of the proclaimed undying themes possibly being used ot pave the way for another's return.

2. Many of us had hoped for an elf ship, or at least talked about this. We had also talked about how nice it would be to have a crownie ship. If pirate ships were to be made would this preclude more large castle ships? i.e. would lego not want one set of big 'wooden' sailing ships competing with another?
Domino Gloria!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

My own view is that when most people think of Castle, well, they expect to see Castles and such in the product lines. That being said there have been the Orc ship and the Skeleton ship within the Castle product line recently. There also has been smaller boats in the Castle line going back to the Lions-Black Falcons era. All depends on what you like.

You bring up a good point: would LEGO have "big" ships in two separate product lines competing against on another? They might dependant on if the Orc ship lasts until the Pirates come out. My guess is that if the Orc ship does well then there will be possibly more Castle ships but only one big one per year. They might have an elven ship IF the elves come out in 2009 and hang on until 2010 or 2011.

I wouldn't mind smaller sized ships perhaps for merchants or explorers but the big ships of the line I would rather have them in the Pirate era, because that's part of the main draw of Pirates.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I think it is possible to have wooden ships in multiple lines but probably is not likely. Did we not have the HP ship and the Viking ship at the same time?

Ben
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Ben

that is a very good point. I think that worked though becaue they were geared to different fans. <Well i don't know if it 'worked' insofar as the sets both sold well, but it worked in that marketing thought it was ok.>

So what i'm wondering is, would a large pirate ship and a large lef ship appeal to the same audience?

<on a side note, why is it that 7048 seems such a poor value next to other large ships? Is it just a function of the troll and dragon?>
Domino Gloria!
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I am grateful for LEGO continuing to allow me to add Pirate & Imperial Guard themed elements to my Castle reality. Thank ye, I shall build it! Now bring on the farm and village historical elements, forsooth!
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Aharown
Apprentice

Post by Aharown »

timber_wolf899 wrote:So what i'm wondering is, would a large pirate ship and a large lef ship appeal to the same audience?

<on a side note, why is it that 7048 seems such a poor value next to other large ships? Is it just a function of the troll and dragon?>
It would for me! :lol:

Seriously, I've thought that the ships were the strongest area overall in the Pirate line. More ships in Castle to use in Pirates, or vice versa, is always a good thing, IMO.

I plan on getting 7048, actually, and I don't think it's a bad value at all, even when compared with pirate ships of yore. The armoured dragon is a nice touch for me, and I think overall it's better than the Skeleton Ship set, which seemed to me to be half a ship and half a castle.

Just my thoughts.
<><
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

I am surprised that you guys know like the # for each set hehehehehe

Ships in tha castle line are great additions.
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

On the skellie ship, it seems a bit short myself. So off to bricklink to pick up some hull sections.

As for pirates and castle? Hmmm. I hope TLG does it right.

And on the set numbers, I ran into a Lego wacko, he could tell you the set number, how many parts, what year it came out, which elements and their product number was. The help at the lego store confirmed this.

Niki
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

siabur wrote:On the skellie ship, it seems a bit short myself. So off to bricklink to pick up some hull sections.

As for pirates and castle? Hmmm. I hope TLG does it right.

And on the set numbers, I ran into a Lego wacko, he could tell you the set number, how many parts, what year it came out, which elements and their product number was. The help at the lego store confirmed this.
Niki
Every hobby has people like that. It's just human nature. Can't say that I'll ever have the need to do that with sites like this and Peeron around.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

I agree. Peeron makes life easier for those of us who have no need to know that much detail.
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]