New Weapons/Accessories for Castle

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Username
Councilor

New Weapons/Accessories for Castle

Post by Username »

There have been quite a few new accessories pop up in Castle over the past few years (angular great sword, octagonal shield, flail, scythe/scimitar), but I was hoping to see the return of a few oldies and perhaps the addition of a few new ones.

Oldies:
Pitchfork-
Round Shield w/stud-

New:
Falchion-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lchion.jpg
Messer or Two Handed Saber:
http://www.albion-swords.com/images/swo ... echt-1.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... jpg/449px-
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

There is the possibility that if/when the elven sets come out that they may have new weapons and armor as well. For the pitchforks I was lucky to be around when they where available in the five packs (mid-eighties). If we had any peasant sets come out LEGO may bring them back.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: New Weapons/Accessories for Castle

Post by Athos »

Those are really similar to the skeleton's scythe blades and the pirate cutlass.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I too was fortunate to get several of the pitchforks. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a return of these items and others.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Athos wrote:
Those are really similar to the skeleton's scythe blades and the pirate cutlass.

Steve
Not really. The falchion would be the size of the normal sword and have a cruciform hilt. The Messer/Two handed saber would be more sword like in my mind than the scythe/scimitar combo. And not way are they like the pirate cutlass because the would be as big as the great swords.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

As much as new weapons are nice and all, I'd really like to see more tools instead of weapons. Offhand, I can think of 8 different sword elements that Lego's already done, 10 melee weapons, 2 missile weapons (bow and crossbow). So about 20 different castle-relevant weapon types.

But in the tools department, I'd like to see a little more. The return of the pitchfork would be great, as well as perhaps a handsaw, or maybe a rake (well, there's the Fabuland one, but that's a bit large). A nice, round-ended wooden mallet might be nice, too.

I dunno-- I guess I feel like I've got just about all the weapons I'll ever need to be satisfied, but a lot less selection in the way of non-weapon items. I guess I can think of about 18 castle-ready minifig elements that aren't weapons per se, but it feels to me like there ought to be way more non-weapon utensils than weapons.

DaveE
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

davee123 wrote:As much as new weapons are nice and all, I'd really like to see more tools instead of weapons.
I'd like to see more tools/utensils as well.
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

Username wrote:
Athos wrote: Those are really similar to the skeleton's scythe blades and the pirate cutlass.

Steve
Not really. The falchion would be the size of the normal sword and have a cruciform hilt. The Messer/Two handed saber would be more sword like in my mind than the scythe/scimitar combo. And not way are they like the pirate cutlass because the would be as big as the great swords.
i would agree with steve. there's really no need to make something which is already 80-90% similar to an existing item.

that's like saying i want a new castle helmet because the current helmet looks like a motorcycle helmet, with a visor slapped on it.

this is lego after all and not a miniturized, 100% historically accurate re-creation of a past event.

i like to see a butcher's cleaver. that's a tool and it can also double up as a grotesque weapon...

on that note, i don't think the giant troll (and other future larger than standard minifig creatures) should have customized weapons. they should be made out of parts like that sledge-hammer. i was referring to the troll's club. :P
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

natelite wrote: that's like saying i want a new castle helmet because the current helmet looks like a motorcycle helmet, with a visor slapped on it.
Not at all. I'd just like to see a 'civilized' single edge sword made for the Castle series.
natelite wrote: this is lego after all and not a miniturized, 100% historically accurate re-creation of a past event.
Who said it was?
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

davee123 wrote:as well as perhaps a handsaw
I have been wanting LEGO to release those for so long, I completely agree with you!
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Oh yes, bring back the PITCHFORK!

I agree that more trade utensils would be of interest such as the cleaver and handsaw mentioned.

Somewhat in the same vein as trade-tools, we could use a nice mandolin and harp for our bards and musicians.

As to weapons:
I would like LEGO to consider how it might be possible to create a proper Rapier thrusting sword. A dueling sword that is straight, narrow, has a cup-hilt and can be pointed forward by the minifigure (perhaps with a curved design like Count Dooku's Lightsaber hilt).

Also an 18th century musket with a detachable bayonette; the current design present in the Pirate themes is more of a Blunderbus. A shoulder bag like the Indiana Jones bag would suffice for a powder & shot kit.

That is what I require. :D
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

they don't have the molds anymore. It also wouldn't make commercial sense to reproduce molds as it requires a investment of machinery.
to the ramparts!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Patron of the lego wrote:they don't have the molds anymore. It also wouldn't make commercial sense to reproduce molds as it requires a investment of machinery.
While it would be great to see the same mold brought back, I don't really think it'd be necessary for fans to be happy. If they came out with a new design for the peasant pitchfork, I think we'd still be plenty grateful for that!

As for commercial sense, I think it's more a matter of the usefulness of the element than re-tooling something. I would guess that it's just as much cost to create a new element as it would be to make an old one. Actually-- Hmm... There might be certain cost savings in making an old element, because there may be potential that you've already done certain testing on it. So, where they have to test all their elements for durability, child safety, etc, they *may* not have to do as many tests on an old element since they've already done those tests. Dunno, though-- they probably still would. Anyway, probably comparable costs.

But the cost at hand I think would be usefulness. A pitchfork, as much as I hate to say it, probably doesn't have a lot of cross-theme appeal (except for the new farm sets, maybe!). But you could probably make a few other things that would be useful in castle and elsewhere. Hence, they'd get more value for their investment if it's a broadly useful element.

Regardless of the economics, though, I think we'd all love to see pitchforks and other things make an appearance!

DaveE
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Count Blacktron wrote:Oh yes, bring back the PITCHFORK!

I agree that more trade utensils would be of interest such as the cleaver and handsaw mentioned.

Somewhat in the same vein as trade-tools, we could use a nice mandolin and harp for our bards and musicians.
LEGO can bring pitchforks back as long as they make some peasants/farmers to go with them. Musical instruments would be very cool. :D Harps, mandolins, flutes, recorders, long trumpets, yes, that would be the best.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:Musical instruments would be very cool. :D Harps, mandolins, flutes, recorders, long trumpets, yes, that would be the best.
-Tower
I was just thinking my advancing army needed some drums and trumpets.