Where are the 2009 castle sets?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Sir Kohran wrote:
What if 2009 is an "off year" for Castle, so they can focus on Pirates or whatever, and then they'll introduce Elves and whatever in 2010? Has Lego ever done anything like that before?
Yes. Look at 1991 - apart from one tiny 'Variety Pack' set, there were no new Castle sets released that year.
I kind of doubt it given the new Queen minifig. I just don't see that type of minifig being put in a bargain set. I can definitely understand why they may have chosen to forego the elves theme for a year though. With the current Castle line, LEGO has walked a tight line balancing fantasy with more conventional medieval fare. Moving too far in either direction could put off purchasers who lean heavily in either direction.

I know that a number of buyers really want elves, however there is another group of fans who want their knights, peasants and soldiers. 2008 focused heavily on the fantasy side of things with trolls, orcs and dwarves, whereas 2007 had closer ties to conventional castle (at least on the crownie side). My guess is that LEGO wants to satisfy both camps.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

So, no elves this year, eh?

Gee that stinks. Atleast a new Orc minifig brightens my day.
So, is it possible Castle will continue into a 4th year? I don't recall many non-liscensed themes doing anything like that...

Sortof makes me wonder if Lego has something against elves....
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Many non license themes hav elasted longer than four years.

Pirates, original castle, original space, bionacle <is that a theme?>

Sub themes change and we seem to see that happening here, but the overall theme , i.e. castle is not something tha tis often sidelined.

I think if you look back over the last 30 years, the years without new castle set are the anomolies, no?
Domino Gloria!
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

Didn't think about Bioncle...

Thanks for that info, gives me alittle more hope.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Castle as a product line is not going away, it's too popular. LEGO is just keeping us in the dark a bit to increase the suspense factor. Relax. Use this time to save up and plan new mocs.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
deathdog1
Apprentice

Post by deathdog1 »

I'm just hoping that smaller sets that integrate with the medieval marketplace are on tap for next year. That marketplace is sweet, but I'm not going to have the coin to put down on it for quite a while thanks to the return of pirates.
"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!" http://glomshire.thecomicseries.com/comics/
Mog
Freeman

Post by Mog »

From what I've gathered, there's only going to be a few Castle sets in 2009 anyway. I guess there might be some store exclusives that haven't leaked, but whatevs.

I think that's a good idea. 2008 was a huge year for Castle, with a full line of sets plus extras like the Giant Chess Set and the Advent Calendar. They know that all eyes are on the Pirates line next year, so I think it makes sense to give Castle fans one big thing (Market Village!) and then focus on adding a few more sets to flesh out the existing factions rather than adding Elves, etc. All the 2008 sets will obviously still be in stores, after all.
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:Use this time to save up and plan new mocs.
Or use it to buy pirates.

My mostly castle Legoverse has a pirate faction, although I'm unlikely to get much use out of the Imperials. Then again, I can always create another Legoverse that focuses on pirates when I tire of this one.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Pirate torsos rock for Castle folk.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
princess_storm
Serf

Post by princess_storm »

Mog wrote:From what I've gathered, there's only going to be a few Castle sets in 2009 anyway. I guess there might be some store exclusives that haven't leaked, but whatevs.

I think that's a good idea. 2008 was a huge year for Castle, with a full line of sets plus extras like the Giant Chess Set and the Advent Calendar. They know that all eyes are on the Pirates line next year, so I think it makes sense to give Castle fans one big thing (Market Village!) and then focus on adding a few more sets to flesh out the existing factions rather than adding Elves, etc. All the 2008 sets will obviously still be in stores, after all.
that gives me a completely off topic idea - what if there's a pirate advent calendar next year :shock: 8) :D
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

OT, do pirates celebrate christmas? hehe
Domino Gloria!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

For ten seconds someone posted some info on the new sets so I'd say it looks like there likely will be nearly as many sets as before. Not sure why so many people are always so doom and gloom about TLC Castle theme and the future. Need to listen to some Bob Marley or something guys to relax :D

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

timber_wolf899 wrote:OT, do pirates celebrate christmas? hehe
As long as they get a few of the Belville bottle elements, then celebrations away! Arrr! :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:For ten seconds someone posted some info on the new sets so I'd say it looks like there likely will be nearly as many sets as before. Not sure why so many people are always so doom and gloom about TLC Castle theme and the future. Need to listen to some Bob Marley or something guys to relax :D

R
Okay, so what I hear is "I Shot The Sheriff" and that makes me think we're going back to the Robin Hood outlaw inspiration for the Castle theme. Curse you and your image-evoking musical reference! :wink:
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

I read three possible set names on EB, I,m not going to put down what they are but I will say they sound promising.