What do you want Lego to do with the current Castle Line.

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

What do you want with the Castle line?

Elves/Forestmen
47%
New Different Faction
26%
No more castle line
No votes
Historical theme
15%
Just more sets with same factions
12%

Total votes: 68

Barbrickian
Freeman

Re: What do you want Lego to do with the current Castle Line.

Post by Barbrickian »

I voted Historical. I would love to see a return of an older Lego Castle faction, whether it be lion/crusaders, black falcons, or forestmen. They could be updated with new accessories while still fitting in with the classic stuff. My other wish would be for something historically accurate like crusaders vs. saracens. That's probably even more of a long shot though. Just have to build my own custom factions and MOCs!
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

architect wrote: Lion Knights/Crusaders were in production continuously from 1984 to 1992. I believe these nine years are the longest of any Lego Castle faction.
While this is certainly true, we must remember there were several years in this run that had very few sets released. Often these were very small sets as well. In 1991 only one set with 29 parts was released keeping the castle line going but I would say just barely.

I voted for elves/forestmen because of the popularity they would have. The more castle sells the longer it will keep going and the happier I will be.

I have heard rumor of only one civilian set for next year. Other than that all seems quiet. I think the castle theme will go on like this. Only 1 or 2 sets a year until the Prince of Persia line dies out. There is also some credible chatter about a possible Harry Potter release which would certainly mean putting Castle on hiatus for a while. This all makes me very sad as I really love the current castle line.

I know a lot of classic castle fans don't like to hear this: I do think that when the theme picks up again they will continue with the fantasy elements. TLG told us that kids absolutely prefer having humans fighting against designated bad guys like the skellies and trolls. This worked much better than 2 human factions in their focus groups.
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

I'd love to see a new human faction, one with neutral heraldry. They could start out with a small $50 castle or something along those lines, or maybe just be introduced as a battlepack for now. Right now when my kid and I play Lego, one of us has to be a bad guy (I dont like to play with my childhood Lego as it is too expensive to replace now). It is difficult to convince a young girl that she has to be the bad guy, so I end up being skellies, who I personally dislike.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

regardless of how large the sets ot number of figs they had a long run. I think TLC can keep a faction around as large or long as they want. My guess is that their 'sell' value determines this more than anything.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

DaleDVM wrote: I know a lot of classic castle fans don't like to hear this: I do think that when the theme picks up again they will continue with the fantasy elements. TLG told us that kids absolutely prefer having humans fighting against designated bad guys like the skellies and trolls. This worked much better than 2 human factions in their focus groups.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the castle line continue with fantasy in the future.

That being said, I don't think that LEGO will abandon the conventional castle spin on things either. The fact remains that there are two very distinct groups of Castle fans; those who love the conventional medieval fare and fantasy fans. For me, the current line has become a little too heavy with the fantasy fare. I certainly would love to see a new human faction (or factions) in the future. Moving away from the light/dark blue colour scheme would also help as the look of the current line has become quite bland.

Still, it does feel like Castle is going to be retired (yet again), so worrying about what comes next seems to be rather pointless. I guess this would be a good time to stock up on market villages before they are gone for good.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

I put some more thought into this one and decided that I would love to see a Gothic line. It would be compatible with current castle and the older vikings (kids wouldnt know the time period difference). The Goths would provide a lot of great torsos and Gothic Cavalry would make great looking "knights".
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

I voted for a new faction... or at least a new colour scheme. Everything is looking a bit too blue and grey.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing another dwarf set next year. All we had was one big set, a battle pack, a small set and a dwarf in a net. They must have put alot of effort into designing the 2 dwarf beards and 2 helmets etc ..they just seem to be under used for me.

Some more villager sets could be a good theme if theres no crownie sets. We just had a fort full of trolls and theres only so many times you can get them to attack the same drawbridge.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I think we need a new faction. Crownies have been around for awhile now. I still really like the way this line has gone. The trolls, dwarves, etc. I think it should continue in that vein, I'd just like a new human faction.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]