Discontinued in 2010?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Discontinued in 2010?

Post by DraconisTerrena »

I've heard an ugly rumor that the current Castle line will be discontinued in 2010. Has the been any confirmation or denial by TLG at this point?
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
RichardAM
Merchant

Re: Discontinued in 2010?

Post by RichardAM »

It's been rumoured -and thus discussed- a number of times. After a few years within a certain sub-theme the overall Castle theme is reset and something new is introduced. After three years of Fantasy Era Castle, I can't wait to see what we get instead.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Some have speculated that Prince of Persia will replace Fantasy Castle. I am hoping for another castle theme though, like a new forestmen/elves/bandits faction!
Last edited by Username on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Castle itself is a constant theme that has been running for thirty years. Yes, there have been a few years in that time with no sets, and a few with a small offering, but there is no real death of castle in the future. There are, though, shifts in sub-theme - with years going from Forestmen to Black Falcons to DragonMasters to Fright Knights to KK1 etc (yes, I know, I'm sure I got the order all mixed up). I suspect that we may be nearing the end of the run for the Crown Knights. They've had a three year run for 2007-2009 and we've gotten a good mix of torsos, armors and helms to make up armies, plus a variety of sets from small impulse sets to the large fortress, with added things like army packs and chess sets. KKII also had a three year run from 2004-2006. Perhaps the trolls will overlap one more year and they'll introduce a new "good guy" faction. We'll see.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

Bruce N H wrote:Perhaps the trolls will overlap one more year and they'll introduce a new "good guy" faction. We'll see.

Bruce
Yes yes yes, one or two new factions, within the same Crownie universe, would rock! And it would make me want to buy the sets even more!

God bless.

-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I still do not know why there is such a current of thinking that this line is going to end 2010.... As far as I know there have been 0 official statements regarding this and the line seems to be selling well. Castle has had several good lines that have lasted most of a decade, why should this one not do the same.... I think at year 4 or 5 I might think time is getting on and this could happen but not year 3. Besides there is often a bit of overlap so who is to say when a line will really end.

I'd love another human faction... good, bad or inbetween does not matter really to me.

I just hope the rumour that PoP is going to replace the Castle line is a silly as it sounds.... Fleshies in Castle..... inexcusable!!!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This topic is more appropriate in the Dear LEGO forum so I will move it there.

Ben
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:I still do not know why there is such a current of thinking that this line is going to end 2010....
I think because its following the trend of other multi-year themes:

Year One: lots of sets
Year Two: lots of sets
Year Three: only a few sets
Discontinued

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:the line seems to be selling well.
Interesting-- The financial report for 2008 mentions primarily Star Wars and Indiana Jones did well in the USA, with City, Castle, and Agents apparently getting honorable mention. But no mention of Castle in the 2007 annual report. I know generally, if it's mentioned there, it's doing well-- and if it's not, then it's anyone's guess. Looking at things like Mars Mission and Exo-Force, I see they've never gotten mentioned, and each seems to have had a 2-3 year stint before disappearing. If the 2009 lineup did similarly well, I would have to suspect that the current incarnation of Lego "Castle" will be around at least another year.

It does make it odd, however, that they've got a major faction like the Crown Knights without a "base" set in the current lineup. There's the Drawbridge in 2009, and the Tower Raid in 2008, but the real "base" was back in 2007, and is (I expect) completely gone from retail stores. I have to expect that if they ARE continuing the line (which seems likely), that they'd either come out with another large castle for the "Good Guys", or would have to introduce a new faction in the genre (like the "elves" that have been mentioned at least once by LEGO).

Personally, I have to say I agree with the annual reports' findings-- I liked the 2007 lineup ok, but the addition of Trolls in 2008 made for a MUCH more appealing conflict than the "undead". The Trolls have a great personality that's depicted in the sets which was lacking in the Undead. They've incorporated a sense of humor, like the Battle Wheel and the Troll Assault Wagon, whereas the Undead are just... evil and more evil. So it does my heart good to see that it looks like Castle did better with the Trolls than with the evil wizard and his pack of no-sense-of-humor skeletons. Those guys need to lighten up.

DaveE
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote: the line seems to be selling well.
Not in New Zealand. The castle line is selling terribly in NZ and most shops no longer have them in stock. Although, now that I think about it, we still haven't got the new stuff yet. Maybe that will sell better.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

outcast wrote:
Heir of Black Falcon wrote: the line seems to be selling well.
Not in New Zealand. The castle line is selling terribly in NZ and most shops no longer have them in stock. Although, now that I think about it, we still haven't got the new stuff yet. Maybe that will sell better.

I don't think anyone outside of LEGO's own bean-counters can really say with any certainty how well/poorly one of its products is selling. The best we can do is look at anecdotal evidence provided by forum members which really isn't an ideal way to gauge the success of a LEGO line. Even if it seems like a line is selling well/poorly in your territory, chances are this isn't a complete picture. Sales may vary greatly from store-to-store or between retail chains. Online sales may be more prominant in certain markets, and even if a product isn't popular in one territory (the US for example), it doesn't necessary mean anything as the product may be exceedingly popular elsewhere.

The biggest drawback with the current castle line is that it has grown stale. The figures themselves have been stellar, however the sets seem fairly lackluster. Even now the factions have become a bit redundant. If they are going to continue with dwarves, trolls and knights then give them different heraldry/colour-schemes. I honestly think that while 2007 may not have had the same variety of minifigs; the sets themselves were actually quite a bit nicer. If the line does continue, I hope we see a greater variety of castle structures in the future.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Sorry Davee I was going off the end of year reports as well. I think the one for 2007 did mention castle but I'd have to dig it up when I can. Does TLC keep them online in an archive? I downloaded them as I saw them on the CS website but have not unloaded my computer stuff yet.

B &W,

TLC end of year reports are hardly anecdotal evidence, they clearly lack any real numbers but if it is in both 2007 and 2008 as one of the top lets say 5 themes it can be assumed to have sold well. The bean-counter most certainly would know more specifics.... at least one can hope. :wink:

Heir
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Sorry Davee I was going off the end of year reports as well. I think the one for 2007 did mention castle but I'd have to dig it up when I can. Does TLC keep them online in an archive? I downloaded them as I saw them on the CS website but have not unloaded my computer stuff yet.
I had looked for the word "castle" in the 2007 and 2008 reports (yeah, both are still available on Lego.com), but "castle" only showed up once in the 2008 report, in reference to the US sales.

It's hardly conclusive, but I could also check the top-seller logs for the US for the past few years... I've got about 99% of the top sellers logged since March 12th, 2007, but sadly it's only for the US market. The top sellers seems to change depending on the country you've got selected. It's not great data, since things like Star Wars (and occasional sales) typically flood the top 25 list, meaning you can't really tell conclusively how well something's doing. Plus, it only tells you how well it's selling compared to other sets, not actual numbers. So if something is the #20 set in February (when sales are slow), that's nothing. But if it's the #20 set in early December, that's REALLY good. But unfortunately, I think it's the best data we've got, short of any direct input from the company (Steve, etc, telling us "Line X is doing really well!").

DaveE
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Hmmm. I will have to go back and check. It might just be a faulty memory error.

I think the top sellers do indicate something but unless many of the sets are up from one theme more individual more than theme sales. It is a good idea either way.

Heir
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There is no need to worry. This rumor is false.

Ben