Dear Lego; I've noticed a trend.

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Thunedar
Serf

Dear Lego; I've noticed a trend.

Post by Thunedar »

Dearest Lego,

Looking over the years of Lego I have noticed a trend. A trend that is quite apparent in the City theme. That being the city sets themselves leaning slightly away from the civil side, your fireman, police officer et al, and leaning more towards your average civilian "dwellers." The farmer; a business man, even a nice young man with a hoodie and what resembles a smart car.

For 2010 I've noticed quite a bit more of these sets within the City theme.

I am overjoyed with what this could possibly mean for the Castle, or more recently dubbed "Kingdoms" theme.

Lego, I implore you to take this proverbial ball, and run with it, run far into the middle ages, and score a goal for the medieval peasants.

My Lego King has a vast amount of soldiers who keep a watchful eye over 4 loyal, taxpaying villagers.

The King and I would appreciate it greatly if this City trend drifted towards "Kingdoms" and "Castle." The King of course needs the taxes, and I personally would love the flavor of adding more beautiful peasants (and their livestock in vast abundance**Please**) to my Lego creations.

Yours Truly,

Thune of Dar
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: Dear Lego; I've noticed a trend.

Post by Athos »

I too like the civilian sets in town. Farm is a good theme, that I've wanted for years. And the modular buildings are lovely.

I'd like to see a similar civilian oriented trend in castle and other historic themes. Even if it is just one set out of the line. Or just a smaller part of a larger set.

Why, even a civilian space set might be cool.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Civillain space would be cool! :tasty:

I too love civilian sets, especially if lego were to releace a more generic house with four peseants and accessories to make four different medieval shops in a way comperable to how they made two santafey car sets that could be built to resemble 5 different train cars. I think that that system could work out for everyone because they only need to make one civillian set, but we can buy 4 and make a small village.
Back to the front!
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Elbadar wrote:Civillain space would be cool! :tasty:

I too love civilian sets, especially if lego were to releace a more generic house with four peseants and accessories to make four different medieval shops in a way comperable to how they made two santafey car sets that could be built to resemble 5 different train cars. I think that that system could work out for everyone because they only need to make one civillian set, but we can buy 4 and make a small village.
That would be perfect! I too need more citizens. I don't even have a village yet, and if I did, it would have to be a ghost village...
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

I think Lego already gave us a fair amount peasants with MMV, but for those of us who couldn't afford it, cheaper and more affordable peasant sets would be lovely! :D

God bless.
-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Castle/Kingdom could use a nice pair of sets, perhaps in a retail assortment.

A simple set like the 8401 City Minifigure Collection:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/8401-1
Dial back the historical reference for each character and dress them for similar community functions in the medieval world.

A more complex set that would please us would be akin to 7634 Tractor:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7634-1
Replace the tractor with a hay cart and an ox or cow to pull it and a peasant farmer with a pitchfork.

I have some other ideas revolving around medieval life and support sets for Castle(city), but for the beginning you have to start somewhere.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Alex the Great
Peasant

Post by Alex the Great »

I love having medieval peasants! It would be good to have a farm set, or even a small minifigure pack. :)
The Great One
€quuïɳox
Gong Farmer

Post by €quuïɳox »

Hmmm... I'm thinking about this idea, and my first reaction is to say, "Yeah, that would be awesome!" But when I thought about it, the age group that these sets (mainly) target is probably not the type who enjoys playing with toys that aren't action-filled. Though you can incorporate some cool functions into Villager sets, it isn't quite the same as being able to clash small plastic figures together in an epic battle until their faces have been chipped off. As long as Lego continues to have good functioning features in Castle sets, I don't think there's much need for more than one or two commonfolk sets. But City indeed is good.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Dear LEGO, please make new sets called medieval farmhouse, peasant family, and supply wagon.
Legoorci
Apprentice

Post by Legoorci »

I would be happy about more peasants, too.
I've got huge armys up to 50 soldiers of one theme, but they have nearly no one to rescue or no crying peasants in a pillaged village.
I want medieval farmers, workers and women, for the peasants I have to use Jedi torsos but I've just a handfull...
You can see my MoCs on [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoorci/]my Flickr Account[/url] and you can see them also on [url=http://legoorci.wordpress.com/]my Blog[/url] where you also can read the stories behind the MoCs...but in german.
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

I would love more "civilian" sets, though I think the blacksmith has been done a bit too much. A mill or farm would be great. I have moved all of my minifigs from the various other themes (ie: Star Wars, Space Police, etc) to the middle ages to have more interesting civilian and armies. It makes for an interesting world.
Lego helps make history fun!