LEGO Theme Survey

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Thoriun
Laborer

Re: LEGO Theme Survey

Post by Thoriun »

hi

I agree with at least 1 idea mentioned early, a monster hunters group, something like a werewolf hunter and other medieval lore.

My choice it would be the development of the medieval civilian faction with several buildings in mind. such as a church, arts school (like the arts shops in medieval italy here Leonardo and gioto study) a medieval port, a statue of a old hero/knight or king and a small farm just to mentioned a few.

I would like to see Lego design a crown instead of a helmet crown. wich looks like a playmobil piece.

Thoriun
Thoriun... No words are enough to express how i feel

Silvery, often with black tarnish

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thoriun
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Another idea might be a theme having to do with the orchestra/opera/theater. Basically anything that would be an excuse to develop bunches of new specialized pieces for musical instruments.
Ragnarsson
Gong Farmer

Post by Ragnarsson »

I've always wanted a line of licensed Lord of the Rings sets--maybe with the Hobbit movies in production there might be an incentive for Lego to pursue this?
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

Well I cling to the idea of a Celtic Village sub-theme for castle:
I would still like to see a faction based on either a Scottish Highland-esque society or a similar Clan type faction. This would provide both civilians and warriors as TLC could simply provide swords, pitch forks, and bucklers (targes) to arm the civilain population of a village type setting. There could be a main keep or fortified home like:Image
(From an internet source). The remainder of the line could be simple, a farm and maybe an inn or small market setting (although I realize even a smaller market is unlikely due to the already released market), something that a kid could connect to a 32x32 plate and make a whole society. Enough drama for the kids could be created with bandits (forestmen) or one of the preexisting knight factions.

Highland Keep (this set could include a knight to act as lord over the village, his wife, a servant, a soldier, and a prisoner (debtor maybe?). Something simple like the photo I posted would be great.): $49.99~$59.99
Village Inn (with a simple market stand out front and 3 villager minifigs (maybe a soldier as well?)): $34.99
Medieval Farm (basic structure with 2 villager minifigs a small plot of crops and a hand cart): $19.99
Farmers cart (four wheeled wagon with two villagers): $9.99
Highland Holdup (a bandit robbing a villager?): $6.99
Impulse sets like a soldier or druid, etc would be great.
Battle pack of angry villagers would get a thumbs up from me, as they could also be used as normal villagers without their weapons. Although the soldiers could easily be replaced with "warriors" who would use the same torsos and legs as the villagers but have angry faces, helmets or crazy hair, bucklers and swords.
Failing that, something more akin to classic space would be nice. Id rather see a new theme that can interact on some level with pre-existing themes. I would be more inclined to buy something compatible with the Lego my daughters already own.
pijani
Artisan

Post by pijani »

fantasy - anything, there you can implement strange looking asimetric weapon and armor, with the highliht on helmets and sholder ends. Strange creatures (but space police 3 is covering that:)
Angels would be a good theme...
Redav
Artisan

Post by Redav »

Another echo for Romans (and I guess Greek's) here.

If it were a licenced theme... Asterix
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Greeks, Romans, Pirates, fantasy Elves, Medieval Town... all that would be wonderful and welcome.

I would also welcome the return of the Sports theme under the City license, as long as it were LEGO Baseball.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
fhaab
Gong Farmer

Post by fhaab »

Well... since this topic is still going, I'd like to comment on this suggestion:
Bruce N H wrote:Fairy tales - Not Disney (though I suppose such a thing is possible with the recent broad Disney license), but all of those stories - Cinderella, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel etc go way back and have no need for licensing. These stories continue to be perennial favorites, particularly with girls. This is a theme that could be very girl-friendly, but wouldn't have to be all about pink and lavender bricks and could easily appeal to Castle builders.
This is a great idea, but I don't think they would do it without Disney now. If TLG went for generic fairy tales, it might piss off Disney and threaten other licensing. If they went with Disney, you'd have licensing cost overhead and it would make it both more expensive and less traditional (Disney butchers a lot of the material). If they went this route, I would favor traditional sets interpreted by TLG set designers based on the original books.
Circus or zoo - These have been successful lines with Duplo, I'd love to see them in System. As with Farm (and please, continue this line as well), these are a great way to introduce new fig-scale animals that would be popular both with the AFOL community, and also with younger kids who are too old for Duplo.
Interesting... I'd hate it, overall, but you're right that I would probably like having some of the animals.
Wild West - This was such an outstanding theme and died too soon. I always argued that there should have been a third year with emphasis on civilian sets (covered wagon, homesteaders' farm, general store, train station (crossover potential into train theme). The new cow element provides the much needed missing piece from the older Western sets. Also, this is a line that could be boy-centric with gunfights etc, but could also be appealing to girls - think of the long popularity of Little House on the Prairie books among young girls, or the American Girls books.
Also very interesting. I recall having some western themes way back when I was little (I have terrible memory). I am not really interested except that the parts in such a set could conceivably be used to help make medieval villages.

As far as I'm concerned: I'm a displayer, not a player. I've gotten every architecture set and have them on display at work (where they are pretty popular for passers-by). I would love to see historical architecture along the same lines. Not giant, like the Tower Bridge; I would think no bigger than Falling Water. That was pushing my price point for that kind of set... in fact, I probably wouldn't have gotten that one if it weren't on sale.

I suppose TLG is tired of hearing "Lord of the Rings," and might not want such a license for various reasons, but The Hobbit is in pre-production, and it should be kid friendly... I think they should do both.

Failing that, TLG really let us down by ending the Fantasy theme before giving us elves.... they should give us elves (and not just the ONE that you might randomly get buying series 3 figures).

Of course, the Medieval Market Village is one of the greatest sets ever... I would like to see more like that one. I understand there's a windmill coming out in that style, so if they do something like that every so often then that would be great.

I can't really add anything new to what people have already said. I realize historic themes would be a downer for most kids, especially if they didn't involve some fantasy. With the popularity of the Rick Riordan books it might be possible to Greek and Roman gods... those books are targeted at the same age group as Harry Potter.
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I would personally like a history theme, all the sets could depict events through out time and have a pamphlet on the event. Picture this

Columbus finds the Indies $9.99

Has Columbus, an explorer, a native, a dinghy, and a tree, plus a little pamphlet on Columbus.

Other sets could include Moon landing, Roman fort, the impulse could be a samurai, Alexander Grahm Bell, the gold rush, so much history, so much fun!
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Throndor
Freeman
Location: Wherever it is they haul off the criminally insane to.

Post by Throndor »

Okay, so I like the Greek/Roman idea, but what I'd rather have is a line of historical battles, like Hastings, Agincourt, etc... Anything with medieval civilizations, such as the Britons, that'd be cool, like the British Longbowmen, the French Knights charging up the muddy hill and getting massacred. I think Agincourt would be a 48X48 platform with a hill that slopes at a 35 degree angle and lots of scattered trees that are holding dirt in place with its roots where other dirt has been eroded ,forming lots of ledges. French cavalrymen would be on their horses, with their horses half-sunk in the mud, British Longbowmen with longbows and sheathed daggers at their waist, 7 Frenchies and 10 Britties for $90-$110. I'd buy that. :)
If I were to make something out of LEGOs, I would probably use LEGOs. Pretty advanced stuff going on up in my head.
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

I have not responded previously to this thread because I have nothing productive to add as a suggestion. But after much thought, I also think that there is strength in numbers in this sort of thing. In other words, when judging the popularity of an idea, part of what counts is the number of people who lend their voices to supporting it.

So, with that in mind, let me add my name to the list of individuals who would like to see an ancient Greek/Roman theme, either historical or mythical.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I have always liked Castle and Pirate themes. It would also be cool if Lego did a Star Trek theme.
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

How about a Robin Hood theme? it would basically be a forest men theme but with identifiable characters, like the new Pharaoh sets...
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

or the crusades! except, so nobody is ticked off in the Muslim/Christian communities they could have the muslims and crusaders look equally good and evil. :) there could be sets where a brutish-looking Crusader and his men are raiding a farm while the peasants look on in horror, or a Muslim with an evil grin leading his troops into battle against a defenseless supply train. that would be cool, I need some cross shields, so those type of sets would make my day. :D
Last edited by theboywarrior on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

boses wrote:How about a Robin Hood theme? it would basically be a forest men theme but with identifiable characters, like the new Pharaoh sets...
I like the idea of a Robin hood theme since it would be a good excuse to bring back the forestmen. There could even be large castles like Nottingham castle etc. I think a Robin Hood style theme would be a good theme that would replace Kingdoms eventually. There are just so many set ideas that could come from this theme. Great idea! :)
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1