Return of the Black Falcons

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Return of the Black Falcons

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Dear Lego, we have Lions and Dragons on our new shields, these seem like some older factions, namely the Crusaders and Black Knights/ Dragon Masters, now may we please see a new Falcon or Eagle faction, the Falcon Faction is the only of the 4 Legoland Golden Age factions without a relaunch. Lion knights have been around a lot, the new dragon faction is our third, the Forestmen had the relaunch as Dark Forest, yet the Falcon Knights have never had a second run, this is why I would like to see them in 2011, which is unlikely, if not then, please in 2012. The Black Falcons deserve another shot at being a current line, they only had one chance so far.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Re: Return of the Black Falcons

Post by rogue27 »

I'm not sure we need to see a new Black Falcon line.

They were featured in new sets from 1984 through 1992. A nine-year span that is matched only by the classic Lion faction. They came out of retirement in 2001 and 2002 for the Guarded Inn and Black Falcon's Fortress Legends, showed up again in Vintage Minifigure Collection 3 from 2009, and showed up again on a magnet this year. There are plenty of Black Falcons out there for people who want them.

The Black Falcon emblem is very iconic. Perhaps the most iconic LEGO Castle design ever. Changing it would upset long-time fans, and putting classic Black Falcon figures in a standard product line would look cheap to younger fans who are accustomed to the more detailed figures of today.

Seems like a lose/lose situation, but maybe they will sneak more of the classic Black Falcons onto the market through specials sets.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I was thinking they could use the old heraldry with new minifigs. They could have a new non-quartered tunic torso with their heraldry on it and a breastplate torso, and black accessories

I personally love the old Falcon torsos and I am a "younger fan" at age 13.

Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

SPACE MARINE wrote:I personally love the old Falcon torsos and I am a "younger fan" at age 13.
You, personally, are not the core market for playtheme sets though ;) that would be kids aged 6-9

I think LEGO has already shown that they recognize the AFOLs' love for the classic faction Black Falcons, with the re-released that Rogue mentioned.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

SPACE MARINE wrote:The Black Falcons deserve another shot at being a current line, they only had one chance so far.
You are, I see, not counting the Talonjay figs from KK2 as "Falcons." Which, I suppose, is fair enough... except that, as I see it, you really ought to discount the Kingdoms faction as Lions and Black Knights, since they are only a step or closer to the old Lions and Black Knights than KK2 Talonjay to the Black Falcons.

What's more, in terms of visual aesthetic, if you use the Crownie figs as opponents for your Kingdoms Lions, you get a very similar visual contrast to the 1980s: red vs. (dark) blue. It's not perfect, yes, but they correlate better visually than dark green/black Kingdoms dragons with red/blue Black Knights.

Personally, I'd be all for a Black Falcon reboot. I think the logo could be reused similar to the reappearance of the classic Space logo in Mars Mission, or even the Blacktron cameos in Space Police (iii) and the collectifigs. At the same time, however, I don't feel the *lack* of Black Falcons is a terrible thing.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

rogue27 wrote:I'm not sure we need to see a new Black Falcon line.

They were featured in new sets from 1984 through 1992. A nine-year span that is matched only by the classic Lion faction. They came out of retirement in 2001 and 2002 for the Guarded Inn and Black Falcon's Fortress Legends, showed up again in Vintage Minifigure Collection 3 from 2009, and showed up again on a magnet this year. There are plenty of Black Falcons out there for people who want them.

The Black Falcon emblem is very iconic. Perhaps the most iconic LEGO Castle design ever. Changing it would upset long-time fans, and putting classic Black Falcon figures in a standard product line would look cheap to younger fans who are accustomed to the more detailed figures of today.

Seems like a lose/lose situation, but maybe they will sneak more of the classic Black Falcons onto the market through specials sets.
You can speak for yourself, but I agree with SPACE MARINE. I think it would be awesome if Lego relaunched the Black Falcon theme! I also am a big fan of the original Black Falcon torsos and I'm a TFOL too. Even my younger brother agrees that the Black Falcons are the coolest Castle faction to date.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

You can speak for yourself, but I agree with SPACE MARINE. I think it would be awesome if Lego relaunched the Black Falcon theme! I also am a big fan of the original Black Falcon torsos and I'm a TFOL too. Even my younger brother agrees that the Black Falcons are the coolest Castle faction to date.
So bricklink or ebay them. They are not rare at all to find. Heck, I was able to gather over 75 with proper heads, shields, and head gear in the span of 3 weeks when I wanted to.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Oh, well, if your little brother says so....:D
I'm detecting a distinct amount of argumentative quality starting to happen in this topic so please y'all remember to keep it civil. Thanks.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

Bluesecrets wrote:
So bricklink or ebay them. They are not rare at all to find. Heck, I was able to gather over 75 with proper heads, shields, and head gear in the span of 3 weeks when I wanted to.
Yes, I know I can buy some of the origanals on Bricklink or ebaY. I just think it would be cool if Lego did a reboot. That's all.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:Oh, well, if your little brother says so....:D
I'm detecting a distinct amount of argumentative quality starting to happen in this topic so please y'all remember to keep it civil. Thanks.
Sorry, I'm not trying to sound argumentative. We're just ....discussing....:)
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

J-Man...do not double post. It is frowned upon at CC. Use the "edit" button.

Cool if they did a reboot? Maybe, but in the meanwhile you CAN find black falcons if you want them at about the cost of a collectible fig, no less.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

Bluesecrets wrote:J-Man...do not double post. It is frowned upon at CC. Use the "edit" button.

Cool if they did a reboot? Maybe, but in the meanwhile you CAN find black falcons if you want them at about the cost of a collectible fig, no less.
Sorry, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for lettng me know. :)
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

That may be so Bluesecrets, but it'd be cool to see them with the current generation of aesthetic and new sets. But I see your point.

Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I would be really suprised if LEGO did not make a reboot of the Black Falcons in the next few years. LEGO has been on a roll for the past few years (2007-present) so I'm not going to worry about the next faction after Lions/Dragons.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:I would be really surprised if LEGO did not make a reboot of the Black Falcons in the next few years. LEGO has been on a roll for the past few years (2007-present) so I'm not going to worry about the next faction after Lions/Dragons.
-Tower
That's a really good point. Maybe we should stop worrying about whats coming next and just enjoy what we have for now. The new Lion and Dragon Knights are very nice sets and show that Lego is starting to go back to the way it used to be. Normal human factions squabbling over pathetic spits of land. Ah, the good old days. :)