LEGO Collectible Minifig Calendar!

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Karalora
Journeyman

LEGO Collectible Minifig Calendar!

Post by Karalora »

This is related to the Collectible Minifigs Wishlist topic, but I wanted to give it its own space.

After managing to score a Leprechaun in time for St. Patrick's Day, I've started thinking about minifigs to represent popular holidays. So far we have:

St. Patrick's Day: Leprechaun
Easter: Bunny Suit Guy (upcoming)
Cinco de Mayo: Mariachi Man
Fourth of July: Lady Liberty
Halloween: Frankenstein Monster, Mummy, Vampire, Werewolf, Witch, Zombie (Wow!)
Thanksgiving: Tribal Hunter & Tribal Chief

Our current wishlist calls for Santa Claus and one of his elves, as well as some Pilgrims to fill out the Thanksgiving cast. We also recently added a Beer Maid for Oktoberfest, and Uncle Sam for the Fourth of July or any other patriotic holiday. What else would be good? Some obvious possibilities are Baby New Year and Cupid. We could potentially fill out an entire calendar with LEGO characters!

Non-Americans, feel free to weigh in concerning your own unique holidays. I know you've got some interesting characters that could be LEGO-fied!
Medieval Guy
Squire

Re: LEGO Collectible Minifig Calendar!

Post by Medieval Guy »

Are you suggesting that TLG males it? Or someone else?
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

We just celebrated Mardi Gras here, so a masked reveler would be cool.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

^^ It's sort of a more specific version of the Collectible Minifigs Wishlist thread, so I guess I'm suggesting that LEGO make them.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Graduate might work for a September back to school. Surfers and lifeguards for a August beach party? Hippy could be for Earth Day. Maybe an Ent for arbor day? Reworking the toy story toy soldiers could make something nice for Memorial/Veterans/Armistice Day. June seems to be missing a holiday... Maybe some picketing workers for Labor Day? Three Wisemen for Epiphany?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

Athos wrote:I don't know what would be good for May and June.
Still coming from an American perspective here, but Memorial Day takes place in May, perhaps a decorated war veteran or a flag-bearing child? Although Memorial Day is traditionally honoring those who died in battle, it's a patriotic day nonetheless that is celebrated in a similar manner to the Fourth of July, for those who aren't American.

For June, however, perhaps a kid carrying his final report card home? Early summer camp counselors? I'm not quite sure either. Lots of historical events in June (First Crusade, which I feel would be well liked by most of us here. :)) but nothing that's easily recognizable/relates to the month itself.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I don't know about a picketing guy for Labor Day...a simple town construction guy in a hard hat w/lunchpail would be better. Maybe a communist for May Day? How about a George Washington or Abe Lincoln figure for President's Day? I would prefer to see a Uncle Sam figure for the 4th of July. Obviously Mother's and Father's day figures.

If we go international, they could obviously reuse the boxer minifig for the English holiday Boxing Day.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Kev wrote:... the boxer minifig for the English holiday Boxing Day.
LOL We have boxing day in Canada too and it has nothing to do with pugilists. Here in Canada it is a day for 50% off sales at many stores so the best representation would be a shopper. The more traditional would be someone dressed in an overcoat and hat with a wrapped present as it was a day to take presents ( ie boxes) to relatives or friends.
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Tedward wrote:
Kev wrote:... the boxer minifig for the English holiday Boxing Day.
LOL We have boxing day in Canada too and it has nothing to do with pugilists. Here in Canada it is a day for 50% off sales at many stores so the best representation would be a shopper. The more traditional would be someone dressed in an overcoat and hat with a wrapped present as it was a day to take presents ( ie boxes) to relatives or friends.

Yeah, but my idea is funnier. :wink:
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Athos wrote:Graduate might work for a September back to school.
Wouldn't it make more sense for June? If you want to play the "back to school" aspect for September, it should be a kid with a backpack and an apple (for Teacher).
Hippy could be for Earth Day.
This I like!
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

If keeping to Lego's general non-religious policy I guess maybe a carol singer for Christmas time? (The Christmas holidays over here also seem to be newly invaded by the trend for 'german' markets).

I could see an Uncle Sam fig appearing, to follow up the statue of liberty. A cupid for valentines day would be great, and bring some great wing accessories.

Or how about a jester/fool for April Fool's day? (april 1st)

Other than that, I think maybe the rest of the world get more national holidays than us Brits :cry:
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

Here's a few that could be interesting.

We could also have a French woman in big wig and dress for the French Bastille day - in July.
Man dressed in a Chinese dragon suit for Chinese New Year - 2nd week of January.
A woman dressed in white decorated with flowers - May Day - 1st of May.
a black figure painted with a white skeleton decoration and top hat. Day of the Dead - 1-2nd of November.

or they could just make a set of 12 figures one to signify each of the Zodiac star signs.
They have already made a few pieces that could be re used -
minotaurs head - Taurus
the red crabs head from Atlantis could be Cancer,
Create a goats head and use a mermaids tail on a figure and you have Capricorn,
Use the crab claws and make a scorpions tail and you have Scorpio.
Centaurs body with minifig torso holding a bow - Sagittarius
[I'd buy these :D :D ]
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

I don't care nothing about national holidays because I don't celebrate them. But because of the diffrent minifigs and parts it would be interesting :)
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

dyntar wrote:We could also have a French woman in big wig and dress for the French Bastille day - in July.
As much as I'd love a Marie Antoinette-type figure on principle, wouldn't a better choice for Bastille Day be Marianne, wearing the Red Cap of Liberty?
Man dressed in a Chinese dragon suit for Chinese New Year - 2nd week of January.
Do you mean a lion suit? It usually takes about 20 guys to be the dragon in the parade. I agree--we definitely need some Chinese minifigs!
a black figure painted with a white skeleton decoration and top hat. Day of the Dead - 1-2nd of November.
Baron Samedi is the name you're looking for. I like!

Here's a revised calendar including some of the suggestions. Existing minifigs are in boldface:

New Year's Day: Baby New Year
Chinese New Year: Man in Lion/Dragon Suit
Valentine's Day: Cupid
Mardi Gras/Carnivale: Masked Partygoer
St. Patrick's Day: Series 6 Leprechaun
April Fool’s Day: Jester/Fool
Easter: Series 7 Bunny Suit Guy
Earth Day: Series 7 Hippie
May Day: May Queen (white dress and flower wreath)
Cinco de Mayo: Series 2 Mariachi Man
Graduation: Series 5 Graduate
American Independence Day (or any patriotic holiday): Series 6 Lady Liberty, Uncle Sam
Bastille Day: Marie Antoinette or Marianne
Back to School: Student
Oktoberfest: Beer Maid
Halloween: Series 1 Zombie, Series 2 Vampire, Series 2 Witch, Series 3 Mummy, Series 4 Frankenstein Monster, Series 4 Werewolf
Day of the Dead: Baron Samedi
Thanksgiving: Series 1 Tribal Hunter, Series 3 Tribal Chief, Pilgrim
Christmas: Santa Claus, Toymaker Elf, Caroler
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

I came up with another for Christmas: a Gingerbread Man! Minifigs already look kinda like gingerbread men in their simplicity.