Reissue the collectible minifig sets in packs or single

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Alex the Great
Peasant

Re: Reissue the collectible minifig sets in packs or single

Post by Alex the Great »

I sign this petition!

I haven't actually got any collectible minifigs because I don't want to spend an hour trying to get all the army builder figs from a box. Nor do I want to spen $10 for a spartan on BL. But if TLG did release them as single minifigs for about $4, that would be great! :D

I'd buy 20+ of most of the historic figs, Romans, Spartans, Highlander, Samurai, Viking, etc.
The Great One
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

The whole point of a collectible is that its availability is limited, so it becomes a must-have for collectors.
"Reissuing a collectible" is quite a contradiction, wouldn't you agree?
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

It depends on whether the definition of collectable in this case means "able to be collected/acquired" or "of worth due to rarity". I would suggest that TLG never produced these to fuel a secondary market so re-releasing certain figs later on wouldn't hurt them, only re-sellers (IMO).

The fact that they ARE re-releasing CMF 'all-stars' (despite in reality being some of the least desirable to AFOL collectors) and that a lot of CMF parts have appeared in build-a-fig bins in store shows they are open to re-using/re-issuing them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2nd version of CMF 'all-stars' after a every 4 or so series' (I think the last vote was series 1-4?).

Saying that, I wouldn't want to see the exact same fig released in a set, but wouldn't mind seeing parts/ideas used in future sets (Greek mythology for example).
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

On the technical side, the reason why we're seeing so many new and unique pieces in the collectible minifigs, is because most of these new parts are made in a different kind of mold, that is cheaper but can't sustain as long production runs, as LEGO's "regular" molds. Some of these "cheaper" molds can be re-used, some can't.
This is a decision that was taken, to keep the figs relatively cheap (you (and kids/parents) wouldn't buy them in stores at $5 a fig), but keep the production run of each figure limited, thus keeping them exclusive and collectible.
That said, there are exceptions, mold that can be re-used or are renewed. But personally I wouldn't hold my breath for a re-issue of the collectible figs.

Mind you this is just some background information, and in no way an official communication from TLG about reissuing or not reissuing the collectible figs ;)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Zilberfrid
Villein

Post by Zilberfrid »

The mold part does sound like an issue, though I am not sold on the collectible part. Lego has been giving us AFOL/TFOL's quite a bit of attention, which I absolutely love, I think enabling us to get the figures we want without lining up to fondle plastic bags will be worth something. It's not that I don't want to take any chances, it's that I have no chance of getting the figures I want after a few days, due to them being able to be singled out. Even with magic cards you have the same chance of something you want with the last booster as with the first, not so with LEGO collectibles.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Lego has been giving us AFOL/TFOL's quite a bit of attention, which I absolutely love, I think enabling us to get the figures we want without lining up to fondle plastic bags will be worth something. It's not that I don't want to take any chances, it's that I have no chance of getting the figures I want after a few days, due to them being able to be singled out.
I think I need to disagree with you there. AFOL/TFOL's are not the target audience for LEGO. Just because we are collectors and want things, does not mean that they were intended for us at all. Kids love these figs just as much as we do. Parents too. Because research has shown that it is the minifig that kids want and play with the most. Look at sets over the last few years, there has been more and more attention paid to the figs in the sets. More figs sometimes too. But that is research gathered from what their target audience wants, not what AFOL/TFOL's want. We just got lucky that way.

While I can completely understand the want for these figs to exist in an easier way. I'm completely sure there are 94816934816 people who want/need 300 Spartans. Collectible is collectible and having millions of it around is not collectible. People don't go hunt down collectibles that have runs of 50000. I am a collector of other things..and people do not go actively looking for some things that have even runs of 1000. Rare is better for collectibles.

Even the figures that they did have the VIP's vote on to bring back, didn't come back the same as they were presented in the first place. They didn't have the parts to bring them back identical and people are annoyed with it.

Yes, its a good suggestion. It is something you would like, so please continue to give suggestions.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Knight Man
Journeyman

Post by Knight Man »

I AGREE
I'm still trying to get Series 1,2,3, and 4 minifigs, so totally.
~KnightMan~
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8406300705_86b2d80f86_m.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/76575933@N02/]My Flickr[/url] [url=https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-The_Creator]My sets[/url]
Sir Osis of Liver
Villein

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I could see them reissuing the minifigures in themed packs. This would be something like a pack of ancient warriors that includes one each of the spartan, legionaire, gladiator etc, a pack of costumed characters. Again one each of the guys in the bunny suit, gorilla suit and lizard suit. You get the idea...
Other themed packs could be:
- A rocker pack
- Monster pack (mummy, zombie, vampire etc)
- ER pack - (doctor, nurse and the yet unreleased trauma patient minifig)
- wild west pack (the cowboys and indians)
- surfer pack
- Martial arts pack (karate, sumo etc)
- classic ladies pack (flamenco dancer, giesha etc)

I can't recall many other figs right now but I'm sure there are alot of other similar groupings that could be marketed.
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

I AGREE!!!

I've always wanted a spartan But I'm not going to pay 15$ just for one minifig. :(
Brother Steven
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Brother Steven »

I agree! I would love to be able to buy them online at LEGO.com rather than paying much more on BrickLink or Amazon.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I could see them reissuing the minifigures in themed packs.
That would be fun! Some other themes I can see:

- Egyptians (pharaoh, queen, mummy--maybe take him out of the monster pack)
- Fair Folk (elf, gnome, leprechaun)
- Skaters
- Team sports (baseball player, hockey player, soccer player)
- Medieval Japan (samurai, geisha, ninja)
- Northern Europe (viking, highlander, valkyrie)
- Artificial people (robot, windup robot, crash-test dummy)
- Space heroes (Spaceman, Intergalactic girl, Galaxy Patrol)
- Space monsters (alien, space villain, grey alien)
- Downhill sports (skier & two snowboarders)

I could keep doing this forever...
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I could see them reissuing the minifigures in themed packs. This would be something like a pack of ancient warriors that includes one each of the spartan, legionaire, gladiator etc, a pack of costumed characters. Again one each of the guys in the bunny suit, gorilla suit and lizard suit. You get the idea.
Brother Steven wrote:I agree! I would love to be able to buy them online at LEGO.com rather than paying much more on BrickLink or Amazon.
Themes could work and be a good idea and be bought from a Lego shop and S@H, but only if the price would be reasonable. Because seems like the trend is now that everything gets more expensive and Lego isn´t an expedition. :cry:
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

I don't know if reissuing the more popular figs in packs or mass producing them will make them a lot easier to find. My guess is for every person out there who is "hoarding" all the figs, whether for army building or for scalping, that there are three more who would be doing exactly the same thing if there were more figs out there. I suspect they would be a little bit easier to find and the prices on the secondary market would go down a little bit, but not that much. People will still buy them out as fast as the stores can get them. Unless they do a really long production run.

To be honest, I've mostly given up trying to collect them. As cool as they are, I've had to learn that I'll just have to pass on some of them (ie, the Roman) because I just don't have the time anymore to try and hunt them all down or the funds to pay the markup on the secondary market.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

I don't know if reissuing the more popular figs in packs or mass producing them will make them a lot easier to find. My guess is for every person out there who is "hoarding" all the figs, whether for army building or for scalping, that there are three more who would be doing exactly the same thing if there were more figs out there. I suspect they would be a little bit easier to find and the prices on the secondary market would go down a little bit, but not that much. People will still buy them out as fast as the stores can get them. Unless they do a really long production run.
That is an excellent point. There are people who have cases unopened of series 1 and 2. There are bricklink stores who seem to have an abundance of them even before they are in the stores. I've had to resort to getting the figs I want from Europe, many times, because I often just can't find them. And I too have moved away from the number of these figs I want. I still have every single one, but I used to insist on doubles of each. Now, well I'm happy with one of each, unless its something I'll actually do something with.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I don't think they should re-release them. Though I do understand why some people might want them, since series 1 and 2 were kind of tough to get ahold of for some people.
Bluesecrets wrote:I still have every single one, but I used to insist on doubles of each. Now, well I'm happy with one of each, unless its something I'll actually do something with.
I agree. I did the same thing for series 1 and 2. The $3 price point really changed my buying habits and I've stopped trying to get two complete sets. One complete is enough, with multiples of certain ones for which I have a specific idea in mind.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]