Lego Chess Set

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Emperor James
Steward

Lego Chess Set

Post by Emperor James »

I have decided after long (okay short) deliberation that one easy way TLC could supply us with Castle Armies without going too far out of their current path would be for them to make a Lego Chess Set. I'm surprised they haven't already, after all they had the game. But think, if it were castle figures. On each side, 8 infantry for pawns, a brick contraption for the rooks, a euro armor fig for the knight(a horse would not fit), and then the rest is obvious. 36 figs for, say, $50 usd, plus all the bricks in the board. It would be sensational!

Editted to fix spelling/grammar
Last edited by Emperor James on Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwnage
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I must confess James, that this idea of yours is brilliant. It is incredibly obvious as well. Board games like the KKII one is - Lame. Chess is a classic and proven diversion, its almost impossible not to like. Also, castle figs would be ideal as well, for chess is always conceived as a "Medieval" themed game. Sure, we can make our own, but if Lego did this, it would be a convenient was to stock up on figs and bricks. It is a win-win deal. I’m sure it would sell.

Also, it might encourage the rebirth of “generic” figs. However, KKII figs would not be very appealing. It would best be done in “classic” factions. (i.e. Black Falcons vs. crusaders)
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

This is an awesome idea, even done with totally new factions and new colours. And it would be such an EASY thing for TLC. I really like this idea! :D

On a related note, am I the only who thinks there are a considerable number of Lego chess sets on Brickshelf?
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Yup, there are a lot of chess sets on brickshelf. Despite the fact it is a great idea, TLC will likely never make a chess sets. Megabloks already made one for their Dragon line, so once again TLC missed the boat. Of course they could make a better chess set, but I seriously doubt they will. No they'd rather make Jelly Beans and Alpha team than something that could be really successful. Yes I am feeling bitter today, is got the Bley blues again. Ah well just one more thing I can't change. At least black is still black. :wink:

PS If anyone at TLC reads this, make a dang chess set. We might forget about the Bleys for a bit. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

*COUGH http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=2586_1&v=z COUGH*

but that was it...

LR
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

lone ranger wrote:*COUGH http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=2586_1&v=z COUGH*

but that was it...

LR
That came with the computer game. Just as a note, the game seemed to go out of its way to not have medeival figures, but they still had that king.
pwnage
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

That is brilliant, and completely opposite of my way of thinking.

I was thinking that I need to get one more Guarded Inn (I have 3 now) so I will have enough crossed axe guys to use as pawns in a chess set. It never occured to me that I should be thinking backwards and that TLC should release a chess set so I can get more medieval figures.

If they invented two completely new factions for this that looked good, I would be happy with it. Can't go wrong with 32 castle figures - even the ratio of kings to infantry might be okay for once.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

HEY TLC!

wakee wakee - read this thread!

fantastic idea, and i would so buy it. I also love to play chess, and have spent up to 200.00 on a nice chess set (before I had kids of course.)

so for a fifty dollar set, and get all that? dang. THAT is an awesome idea.

*sigh

probably goes right into the bin with castle doors and windows packs, and tree parts.

Freak
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

If you had a lego chess set what factions would you use?
For BLACK I would use shadow knights and fright knights.
For WHITE I would use crusaders and Royal knights.
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

No doubt, if this came out soon (like the next year or so), we would get KK2 knights vs. The shadow kinghts. That sure would be useless. Who wants an army that would get laughed at by the oposition?
But a set with Black Falcons and black knights or another suitable enemy would be good.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

jon_p wrote:No doubt, if this came out soon (like the next year or so), we would get KK2 knights vs. The shadow kinghts. That sure would be useless. Who wants an army that would get laughed at by the oposition?
But a set with Black Falcons and black knights or another suitable enemy would be good.

Jon.
Well - the shadow knights would be cool, and they may even come up with a decent footsoldier for KK2.

ok - probably not....
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

jon_p wrote:No doubt, if this came out soon (like the next year or so), we would get KK2 knights vs. The shadow kinghts. That sure would be useless. Who wants an army that would get laughed at by the oposition?

Jon.
There is NOTHING wrong with this. Just think, at least eight Shadow Knights (the Pawns) with ONE set. That alone would make it worthwhile. And colourful as they are, the KK2 knights have some great pieces (think armour).

I agree though, that classic themes would be way more awesome.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This is an AWESOME idea. Oh TLC please please please do this. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.