Things I'd like in castle wave 2

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Re: Things I'd like in castle wave 2

Post by Brickninja »

Purple Wolf wrote:
Brickninja wrote:That's too bad :( I guess kids just think villagers aren't cool because they don't fight.
I don't know about most kids but I always wanted villages when I was younger and was sad I couldn't get any I admit yes knights and soldiers are more fun but I still think kids like some villagers I'm not saying they want tones but I believe they would except them.

Purple Wolf :)
Yes, but I think the majority of kids think villagers are boring. I wish lego would start producing a few sets in each line aimed at TFOLS/AFOLS.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Have each shop include at least one warrior figure (either a "good guy" shopping/visiting, or a "bad guy" raiding/robbing), and I think the kids would accept them just fine. Plus, a medieval village series encourages collecting so you can build the entire village.
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

True, I like the idea. Again, I would love to have village sets. I'm just saying why I don't think lego will make them, unfortunately :(
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

And I was proposing a potential solution. Kids think villagers aren't fun to play with? Include soldiers and villagers in the same sets! Get two or three sets, and you have all the makings of an Epic Battle To Defend the Town!

I think more than anything, I'd just like more variety in set concept and design for Castle. It seems like the last few iterations have rehashed the same few ideas. The largest set is always the castle of the "good" faction, under attack. The "evil" faction gets a smaller castle/fortress with a prison of some kind containing a kidnapped princess. There's usually some sort of medieval-themed paddy wagon, and a gatehouse/guard tower set with a catapult, and a "chase sequence" set with one large-ish vehicle and a smaller vehicle or mounted rider(s) and a treasure chest.

With each Castle line arriving so close on the heels of the previous one, I can't help but think LEGO loses sales because potential buyers are still playing with the earlier version and the newer one isn't notably different.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Okay so this is your friendly reminder that we are not the target audience for LEGO.

I know...I say that a lot, but it is true.

The reasons the sets are almost the same every line is simple..and it happens in city constantly. Kids grow. They enter the target age range..then they turn 12-14 and for the most part...don't build. So yay...a new set of kids are ready to buy LEGO sets..yay castle. So we repeat. And then three years later..we repeat..and then three years later...see the pattern?

Yes that is tedious and repetitive for those of use who aren't kids. But it is just business. Sometimes we get lucky and get amazing sets like MMV. But kids want action, hence why we have so many projectiles...oh yay another catapult! And reality is a simple toy has to compete with the video game...so you have to have action. Even if it is being able to shoot at skull at someone.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Bluesecrets wrote:Okay so this is your friendly reminder that we are not the target audience for LEGO.

The reasons the sets are almost the same every line is simple..and it happens in city constantly. Kids grow. They enter the target age range..then they turn 12-14 and for the most part...don't build. So yay...a new set of kids are ready to buy LEGO sets..yay castle. So we repeat. And then three years later..we repeat..and then three years later...see the pattern?

Yes that is tedious and repetitive for those of use who aren't kids. But it is just business. Sometimes we get lucky and get amazing sets like MMV. But kids want action, hence why we have so many projectiles...oh yay another catapult! And reality is a simple toy has to compete with the video game...so you have to have action. Even if it is being able to shoot at skull at someone.

I actually agree with blue on this mater :spin: I know.... But it is business, plain and simple.

Unfortunately kids don't have the attention span or respect/appreciation for a product/toy like we used to. Kids today are for the most part spoiled. Do you know how many Craigslist adds I have seen, "For sale Lego, Selling my son or daughters collection because they have out grown them" . in actuality the kid just doesn't respect/appreciate the thing any more. We try to give them what we didn't have growing up and then, instead of telling them to be creative with what they already have we move on to the next thing that will hold there attention, because it is easy.

Now as for castle As I have stated previously most of the sets weren't bad ( I have all but the castle ). I don't have nor do I plan to get the kings castle, just has to many panels.

I would love to see a few sets geared towards Tfol/Afol. In the form of village sets or a more realistic Keep, that goes on a panel diet. I am as always keeping eyes peeled for some more sets Like the Joust, MMV, An the Mill village raid. I came out of my second "Dark Period" Right after these sets disappeared from shelves. I am lucky /fortunate enough to have 2 Joust sets and am thinking of getting 2 more for parts if I can and they are still available in a few more months.

But for me I would love to see some Poly bags / impulse sets, as well as a return of forestmen. That's it for know have to go edit pics for my next CCC entry.

Curt
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Lil_Curt wrote:
Bluesecrets wrote:Okay so this is your friendly reminder that we are not the target audience for LEGO.

I actually agree with blue on this mater :spin: I know.... But it is business, plain and simple.

Unfortunately kids don't have the attention span or respect/appreciation for a product/toy like we used to. Kids today are for the most part spoiled. Do you know how many Craigslist adds I have seen, "For sale Lego, Selling my son or daughters collection because they have out grown them" . in actuality the kid just doesn't respect/appreciate the thing any more. We try to give them what we didn't have growing up and then, instead of telling them to be creative with what they already have we move on to the next thing that will hold there attention, because it is easy.

Now as for castle As I have stated previously most of the sets weren't bad ( I have all but the castle ). I don't have nor do I plan to get the kings castle, just has to many panels.

I would love to see a few sets geared towards Tfol/Afol. In the form of village sets or a more realistic Keep, that goes on a panel diet. I am as always keeping eyes peeled for some more sets Like the Joust, MMV, An the Mill village raid. I came out of my second "Dark Period" Right after these sets disappeared from shelves. I am lucky /fortunate enough to have 2 Joust sets and am thinking of getting 2 more for parts if I can and they are still available in a few more months.

But for me I would love to see some Poly bags / impulse sets, as well as a return of forestmen. That's it for know have to go edit pics for my next CCC entry.

Curt
I wish Lego would acknowledge that TFOLS/AFOLS do make up a part of their customers. All I ask is for lego to
Accept this and put just a couple sets out in each line that would be "TFOL sets"; more realistic, village oriented, more sophisticated, but it could even be the same factions and fit in with the rest of the sets. Maybe some of the kids would even like them. My 10 year old sister thinks the Hobbit sets are cool, and those are more what we want.
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

[quote="Brickninja]
I wish Lego would acknowledge that TFOLS/AFOLS do make up a part of their customers. All I ask is for lego to
Accept this and put just a couple sets out in each line that would be "TFOL sets"; more realistic, village oriented, more sophisticated, but it could even be the same factions and fit in with the rest of the sets. Maybe some of the kids would even like them. My 10 year old sister thinks the Hobbit sets are cool, and those are more what we want.[/quote]

They do acknowledge this look at sets like "Grand Empoiuum" or the lego "VWBus" or even the"Sydney Oprah House". As blue stated though, we make up 10% of sales an unfortunitly less then 1% of that are castle fans. So in the grand scheme of things they will put out a couple good castle sets every 4-6 years. Besides with Lotr/ Hobbit, untill the licenses runs out I doubt lego will pour alot of money to rehash castle. And untill then all we can do is put togeather wish lists, then ambassadors can pass along those requests. When blue puts up the links to the survays, fill them out! It isnt perfect but its what we have.
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
Sir Erathor
Landlord

Post by Sir Erathor »

Very true, Lil_Curt, very true indeed. I guess we just need to make the best of what we've got, which isn't all that bad, actually.
Blue, you are definitely right there, and it's fair play to LEGO. They are a business that needs to make money, which they are doing. I don't think any of us will be put off by that, it's just quite tedious.
For the Glory of Loreos!
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/122904323@N02]Flickr[/url]|[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92143]MOCpages[/url]|[url=http://thebricktavern.blogspot.co.uk/]The Brick Tavern[/url]
[img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-Liaison.png[/img] [img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-03-Militia.png[/img]
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

First guys, we are kind of off topic, so I will bring it back around at the bottom of my thread.
Accept this and put just a couple sets out in each line that would be "TFOL sets"; more realistic, village oriented, more sophisticated, but it could even be the same factions and fit in with the rest of the sets. Maybe some of the kids would even like them. My 10 year old sister thinks the Hobbit sets are cool, and those are more what we want.
Okay see here is the problem. They DO know just how much of the sales we make up. It is under 10%. Now reality states that is REALLY not a demographic to design a whole line to please. Would anyone really plan a whole line for that small of a percentage? Um...and stay in business? You want the LEGO Company to stay in business, right? Then they can't waste time and resources on less than 10% of their sales.

Now...lets be a little realistic. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say I don't want them to listen to us and maybe take it into account. Because I really do want them to hear it. But what I want in a set is no way even realistic for them to produce. And no way could a kid build it. Fact...the things we build are way better than sets anyway. It's why we build. So I'm happy when they listen and give me something awesome like a pig or a goat.

So...they do listen. They DO acknowledge the AFOLS/TFOLS...go to any con and meet Kevin Hinkle. He's a great man who listens. Talk to any ambassador *cough cough*, they listen. Fill out the surveys, they read them. But...remember it is a business and the purpose is to make money. And be grateful when we do get a set like MMV.

Now back on topic,

You know what I want? I really really really really want a cornstalk piece.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Blue,

Out of the 10% of us AFOLs that buy LEGO, I wonder how many are even pushing for Castle? Not all AFOL like Castle. AFOLs like other themes I am sure. So the percentage of castle AFOLs could even be lower than 10%, couldn't it? :shock:

No wonder they make so little geared toward us. You can't blame them.

I love the idea of a cornstalk piece! Frankly, I want more food pieces! We could always use a pumpkin, a new pie (or at least more of the one we have), an onion, tomato, cabbage or lettuce head, etc. Another style of bread, like a traditional uncut loaf would be nice. Meats like ham, or more of the t-bones the butcher came with. I would love to see a bowl of soup, or a goblet with some kind of drink in it already. A new type of fish, or other sea critters.

All in all, I think food serves a great detail in the castle line, and we could benefit from some new ones. :)
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

SSchmidt wrote:Blue,

Out of the 10% of us AFOLs that buy LEGO, I wonder how many are even pushing for Castle? Not all AFOL like Castle. AFOLs like other themes I am sure. So the percentage of castle AFOLs could even be lower than 10%, couldn't it? :shock:

No wonder they make so little geared toward us. You can't blame them.

I love the idea of a cornstalk piece! Frankly, I want more food pieces! We could always use a pumpkin, a new pie (or at least more of the one we have), an onion, tomato, cabbage or lettuce head, etc. Another style of bread, like a traditional uncut loaf would be nice. Meats like ham, or more of the t-bones the butcher came with. I would love to see a bowl of soup, or a goblet with some kind of drink in it already. A new type of fish, or other sea critters.

All in all, I think food serves a great detail in the castle line, and we could benefit from some new ones. :)
I totally agree with you. We need more food. Lego released a set that I know AFOLs must be snapping up because of the amount of food included and the rare turkey piece at such a low price. It's called Thanksgiving feast, I bought one. It's like 7.99 and you get a lot of food. But, yes, we do need food. As for cabbages, green exo force hair will go for now, as demonstrated in the lego ideas book. Onions, potatoes, and tomatoes, white studs, tan studs, and red studs with green on top will do, as my sister discovered. But I would like more food molds.
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Yeah I agree you can use round stud plates for some of those items, but I would love to see food specific molds.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

What I would actually like to see in some new castle would be the archer helmet
The last time these showed up was 2003 and personally I think they were really good helmets.

There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Purple Wolf wrote:What I would actually like to see in some new castle would be the archer helmet
The last time these showed up was 2003 and personally I think they were really good helmets.

I agree. Can we have those again ,or maybe even a new version without the chinstrap and with a noseguard? Those I'd prefer to the neck protector one.