Overly Detailed Instructions

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Sir Osis of Liver
Villein

Overly Detailed Instructions

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Dear LEGO,

I am an old school fan and appreciate the days when the entire build for a set could fit on one carefully folded page, or for the larger sets a 20 page booklet.

I find that the newer style of building instructions where it seems like every step of the build is shown literally piece by piece are overly detailed and as such it is a poor use of resources. This must add unnecessary costs to the printing of these instructions both in paper and ink costs. However, a bigger concern is the environmental impact of these instructions. More pages = more weight = a greater carbon footprint to ship and distribute the products. Not to mention the resource costs of the paper and printing materials (even recycled paper has an environmental impact).

For example, I just built the 60166 Heavy Rescue Helicopter. It came with 3 instruction booklets for a 415 piece set! These construction steps could easily be doubled up and cut the number of pages (and books) in half.
josdu
Gentleman

Re: Overly Detailed Instructions

Post by josdu »

Frankly, I don't know I could say it applies to all sets, mind, but I find that on larger sets like exclusives I actually miss important instructions, FOL though I am, and detailed though the instructions are, and even find myself with extra pieces of a large size (meaning that really I just missed the place they go, and so sometimes I have to go back and put them in). Imagine a kid, because in fact that's who many many of the sets are aimed for, being able to build such things correctly often with no expertise, if the instructions were only a couple pages! Anyways, just my two cents :wink: . The good olde days were certainly good for all of that :eyebrows: .
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98280612@N05/?details=1#]Flickr[/url]

Let [them] see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I just built the Old Fishing Store...which was a combo of old instructions and new. I like new better. Because when I got to the end...I had a 2x4 plate left over that was from bag 1...and I didn't realize where it went until I was completely finished...due to the old style instructions.

But as usual...I would like to be able to tell black from dark bley, black from dark brown, and other colors that are hard to tell.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Certain themes seem to be especially bad at this. City sets, I have found, tend to have the most simply, page wasting instructions. I understand why LEGO does it the way they do, but kids are smart. Instructions these days are too simple, but the ones in the old days were perhaps a bit too complicated. I know I can have troubles with them at times. They clearly need to have them somewhere in between.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

If you do not like it, skip the odd numbered pages.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]