Do you think that Lego should continue making KK2?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

Do you think Lego should continue making KK2?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 83

Snap Dracone
Freeman

Post by Snap Dracone »

I voted "no," simply because I think that after 2005, we'll have had enough of KK2. I really can't see how it would continue story-wise after this year and I have a feeling that continuing the story have to be forced in the storyline.

Now, re-releasing some older Castle sets in general retail stores, however...
What's the point of having a cake if you're not going to eat it?
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I don't mind KK2, but I don't want it to end up like Bionicle, going for five plus years. Maybe have one final battle storyline for King Jayko, lasting two more years, then leave the line to die quietly with a runtime of three to four years.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

They should continue with Knight's Kingdom unless something better is released...but if something worse arrives...then the candle that is the soul of Knight's Kingdom must cease it's flickering and meet it's demise...

Maybe someday I will become a Knight of the Order of Poor Knights of Christ...

I mean Shadow Knight...yeah...
The_Fright_Knight
Laborer

Post by The_Fright_Knight »

Yeah, I think so. We get silver and black armour now, in 2006.

TFK
"Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
-Bilbo Baggins
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I say no.

I think it's best if KK2 is retired and replaced by a better castle line that reflects the style of the older castle sets.

A return of the Black Falcon's and Crusaders would be fantastic!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

i think kk2 can be INDREDEBLY SUCCESSFUL if a few changes occured, but i dont mind.
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I don't think anybody is surprised, but I voted NO.

Look at how bad World City was, and how good City has been for the past couple years. I think replacing Knight's Kingdom with Castle could yield similar results.

Even if KK2 was discontinued and replaced with nothing, it wouldn't bother me. I don't buy KK2 anyway.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

rogue27 wrote:I don't think anybody is surprised, but I voted NO.

Look at how bad World City was, and how good City has been for the past couple years. I think replacing Knight's Kingdom with Castle could yield similar results.

Even if KK2 was discontinued and replaced with nothing, it wouldn't bother me. I don't buy KK2 anyway.
Wow :shock: !!

So enlightened are you. I never really drew a comparison between the "World City" and "City" lines, but what you say makes complete sense (to me, at least). I'm very much share your line of thinking. Why be happy with mediocrity from a company that has previously shown greatness. Yankee fans are happy with nothing less than the Pennant; why should we LEGO fans be any different?

And like you rogue, I don't really buy KKII, so I won't miss it when its gone.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I think ultimately the answer is no, but I do appreciate and respect TLG fro at least trying to release a Castle line. Yeah it's juniorized and the colour of the knight armour is silly but look at it this way, it could be worse, it could be a 4+ Jack Stone-esque Castle line.

Something that hopefully NEVER happens.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Blueandwhite wrote:
rogue27 wrote:I don't think anybody is surprised, but I voted NO.

Wow :shock: !!

So enlightened are you. I never really drew a comparison between the "World City" and "City" lines, but what you say makes complete sense (to me, at least). I'm very much share your line of thinking. Why be happy with mediocrity from a company that has previously shown greatness. Yankee fans are happy with nothing less than the Pennant; why should we LEGO fans be any different?

And like you rogue, I don't really buy KKII, so I won't miss it when its gone.

Later.
What you don't seem to realise is that World City and City are both fairly similar. Both lines feature police, firemen, vehicles, etc. The only real difference is that City uses a different (and better) style, that focuses on more open and neutral theme, in contrast with World City's rather narrow outlook, that seemed more like Nerw York City than World City. Aside from a few differences, however, the two themes are both still pretty much the same.

However, I think it's reasonable to say that KK2 and Classic Castle are not like this. Whilst they are very similar, they are styled in different ways - Classic Castle focuses on the 'world' with peasants, soldiers, carts, knights and structures being staples of the theme, whilst KK2 focuses on the 'adventure' with heroes, villains and monsters. Whether these different styles are good or bad is besides the point - Classic Castle Castle and KK2 are different in the same way Fright Knights and Ninja were in 1998.

So, in short, I think KK2 and Classic Castle are different enough to co-exist. Think about it. If Vikings and KK2 can both sell well in the same year on the same shelves to the same age group, then why couldn't Classic Castle be the same?

- Matt
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

You know...

The way KK2 has been improving- and no one can say that it hasn't; just compare Year 3 with Year 1- I'm leaning towards the "Keep it up!" opinion, rather than being thrown into the unknown, which may set us back to Square 1...

Seriously, if KK2 continues to get better every year, Jayko's Heir will be sporting Black Falcon arms and colours in two years...
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

If they continue like this, they will continue improve. We know this already.
And remember:

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine."
-Classic Castle Kenobi
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

erikut wrote:
The Brick Lord wrote:
LEGOFREAK wrote: and the skis had jet packs on the back, and then they introduced eight more specific characters, all with backstories, and each with a different neon color, and super power.
:roll:
And each knight could transform into a superbeing, and they could have warp speed legs, and Vladek could transform into a huge beast. :twisted:
Yeah and then maybe the horses could turn into cars so the knigths could go even faster. and then.... uhm all out of ideas.
And then the leading guy would go on a quest for a enchanted sword, and transform into a good armored demon and all his friends too, and the castle would start walking and the dark knights would ride giant robots, and there would be super destroing magic.

Now we are giving them ideas (Lego KKII designer: humm...not a bad idea)
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Sir Kohran wrote:What you don't seem to realise is that World City and City are both fairly similar. Both lines feature police, firemen, vehicles, etc. The only real difference is that City uses a different (and better) style, that focuses on more open and neutral theme, in contrast with World City's rather narrow outlook, that seemed more like Nerw York City than World City. Aside from a few differences, however, the two themes are both still pretty much the same.

However, I think it's reasonable to say that KK2 and Classic Castle are not like this. Whilst they are very similar, they are styled in different ways - Classic Castle focuses on the 'world' with peasants, soldiers, carts, knights and structures being staples of the theme, whilst KK2 focuses on the 'adventure' with heroes, villains and monsters. Whether these different styles are good or bad is besides the point - Classic Castle Castle and KK2 are different in the same way Fright Knights and Ninja were in 1998.

So, in short, I think KK2 and Classic Castle are different enough to co-exist. Think about it. If Vikings and KK2 can both sell well in the same year on the same shelves to the same age group, then why couldn't Classic Castle be the same?

- Matt

One of the reasons we don't have carts and peasant shops is that half of the KK2 product assortment each year is used up on the giant knight action figures. That doesn't leave much room for other sub $10 sets.

They are not going to sell Classic Castle alongside Knight's Kingdom. Vikings is a poor counter-example because it was a special release for LEGO's 50th anniversary. Also, unless you are at Toys R Us or in Europe, Vikings and KK2 are not sold to the same audience.

Formendacil wrote:The way KK2 has been improving- and no one can say that it hasn't; just compare Year 3 with Year 1
I'm not convinced that KK2 has improved each year. For example, the Horse-mounted catapults and random bionicle parts were Year 2 innovations. I think everybody's been wowed by a couple cool printings on some shields and armors, and it's blinded them to the, yet again, poor set design. A few cool parts do not make the sets any closer to the "medieval life" type sets Classic Castle could offer. KK2 will never incrementally improve into anything remotely similar to a standard Castle theme.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

rogue27 wrote:
Formendacil wrote:The way KK2 has been improving- and no one can say that it hasn't; just compare Year 3 with Year 1
I'm not convinced that KK2 has improved each year. For example, the Horse-mounted catapults and random bionicle parts were Year 2 innovations. I think everybody's been wowed by a couple cool printings on some shields and armors, and it's blinded them to the, yet again, poor set design. A few cool parts do not make the sets any closer to the "medieval life" type sets Classic Castle could offer. KK2 will never incrementally improve into anything remotely similar to a standard Castle theme.
I beg to differ.

Although set design has farther to go than fig design, it IS improving. You can't tell me that Vladek's Dark Fortress isn't better than the Castle of Morcia!

As regards the set design of year 3, I have yet to study it in any detail, so I am pending judgement there...