It's not easy being yellow

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
akochan
Villein

It's not easy being yellow

Post by akochan »

Ok now that you are starting to feel the effects of what is known in the United States as "New Coke-itis" and have finally convinced yourself that it's time to return to traditional core values... let me revisit the color debate.

You will be receiving bizillions of angry messages from AFOLs over the greys, and over the browns. All because some voodoo marketting study told you the lowest common denominator likes the colors of Megablocks better. Just wait until all our wonderfully race neutral yellow minifigs are obsoleted as well. --Sorry, asians are no more "yellow" than native americans are "red" or caucasians are "white". I fully understand colorization for your NBA and European football lines where there are specific real life people you are trying to represent. But as for every other line... keep it yellow. Harry Potter, yellow. Star Wars, yellow. And most of all the castle, town, and pirate figures YELLOW. If we wanted skin tones we wouldn't be playing with Legos. We'd be playing-on-a-rail with toys like GI Joe and Barbie. The whole point of the minifig is not to create an exact replica of a person. It is representational.

Just as voodoo market studies done by the CocaCola company convinced them they needed to be more like Pepsi which caused huge uproar and the loss of bizillions of dollars... The Lego company is falling into the same pitfall... And unlike CocaCola who had the financial safety net to weather the storm long enough to realize the error of their ways and change back, you guys must be nearing the EU equivalent of Chapter 11.

Please... we need the old greys and browns, we need yellow minifigs. Those of us who love our Legos are getting sick just thinking about the new colors. I don't think you trully understand the pain and suffering you are causing.

-Andy
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

another problem opened up with racial minigifs is minifig race wars. Now my armies are organized by sign shield or castle color, but will future kids not tend to arm their minifig legions by race? they will take the 'different' figs and make them the bad guys. they will take figs of their own color and make them 'defenders' etc.

not good. there should be no race in legoland.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Good posts, Andy and Timber_Wolf!

Bye
Jojo

Which race? Which gender?
groovyd2001
Peasant

Post by groovyd2001 »

Timber wolf thats a good point. It sort of gives me the creeps thinking that kids will soon be sending one color of minifigs after another. Sure people that want to make their models as real as possible by having different race people, or for the star wars fans that want a mace windu and a lando minifig. But I do agree with Timber I don't want to see my nephew sending white lego figs after black lego figs.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less then half of you half as well as you should Deserve

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/index.htm][img]http://www.freewebs.com/paluria/images/button1.JPG[/img][/url]
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

These are by far the most rational arguments I have read against changing to "other than yellow" skin tones. :shock: I do hope that there is someone listening.
Troy T. Moore
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Hey Troy - So my argument that since we have one "race" color(black/brown),
we should also have "white" isn't rational to you?
The idea of being fair and equal with the color thing isn't rational?

Oh, and Andy - If you want to "fight the power"...try
telling Lego to stop making brown minifigs, instead of
listing why "white" would be a bad idea.

It's called reverse discrimination people. You're soakin' in it.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

i see what blasterman is gettiing at. thats why i'd rather see lego not open the race can of worms at all in its system lines.
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I think Blasterman makes a good point, a controversial one (which is probably why it got edited/deleted), but a good point none the less. I'm not going to say anymore since it's not my site and the Admins/Mods have the right to run it the way they like...

But this is really a reason why I think they should just keep them yellow. Of all the hobbies I'm into, I have never even thought of race with Lego. I think Lego is making a very large mistake here, which is going to cause quite a lot of problems.

Despite everyones personal views, I think EVERYONE can agree changing the minifig color is a bad idea...
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Sorry, Blasterman, I was in no way trying to tread on you. I understand what you mean. I guess if minifigs were never made to represent real people then there would not even be a "brown" one and would could all go ahead and play Lego without bringing real world problems into our Lego rooms. You are right that there is a bigger problem than the color of the minifigs.
Troy T. Moore
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Hey guys, nothing personal. I'm just pointing out a
different view that seems to get overlooked, whenever
this topic is discussed.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I hear ya, Blasterman, there IS discrimination against white poeple, just like there is discrimination against men now.

(Being a white male, I've experienced both. Not to mention Christian, which is everybody's favorite group to have . . . . )

However, I personally think that LEGO should go all or none. No yellow minifigs(again, asians are not "yellow," it's more of a tan color) and brown ones. Either they make all races or just yellow.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

I tend to think that way myself - either ALL yellow or
ALL colors.

Oh, and right on brother. Finally someone else to speak
their mind.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Oops. When I typed that Christians were everybody's favorite group to "have," I meant to type "hate."
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Heh... Blasterman and I had a similar discussion not all that far back.

Personally, I'd prefer NO colours. If they switched to ALL colours, I might just stop buying LEGO sets and just buy everything on B-Link. I just can't stand the idea of racial wars.

You know, it also could cause problems with public displays. Who will be the good guysm, and who will be the bad guys?

Oh, Marcellus, I think yo ucan edit your post to change the typo.
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

I agree 100% Devari. I'd prefer NO colors at all.
I don't see a problem with "other" characters like
Ewoks and Wookies, etc. being different as long
as the human-esque figs are yellow.

Blast that Lando for starting this.(not counting NBA)

As far as who would be the good/bad guys -
Most Castle related displays/mocs would consist of
your typical white europeans, unless you wanted to
portray the Crusades. And as far as I'm concerned,
there really isn't a bad side in the Crusades. Just
differing religious views. Also, the historical aspect
in displaying such a piece would be cool, imo.

So colored figs could have a place, but that place
would be very specific as I see it.
Last edited by Blasterman on Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.