Replacement Parts OR a less than helpful Customer Service?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Replacement Parts OR a less than helpful Customer Service?

Post by psu_ericksen »

[long post warning]Long Post Warning[/long post warning]

A bit of background: My friend (and co-worker) bought me a 4287912 Knights Kingdom II Magnet Set at the Orlando LEGO Store while visiting his parents over Christmas. I had them displayed on a filing cabinet in my cubicle since the end of December (I know. Bad idea.). Last Tuesday, my friend emailed me asking if they were all there when I went home on Monday (I work from home 2-3 days a week). Anyway, long story short, all that was found of Santis was a leg. Singular. Just one leg. And we all know that legs do not remove easily that way.

So, I filled out LEGO's Customer Service Replacement Part Form explaining what happened and inquiring about the availability of a replacement magnet to purchase (I didn't expect to get a free one since it was stolen, not missing from the original set). Anyway, I guess I used the wrong Set number (#851542) even though that is what's on the sticker on back where I would expect the Set number to be (right under the red, square LEGO logo). This was my response:
LEGO Customer Service wrote:Dear Mr Ericksen

Thank you for your email from 01/25/06 and for your interest in our LEGO® products.

We do offer a Replacement Part Service to assist consumers who have lost or broken an element or building instruction. We can certainly appreciate your desire to restore your LEGO® sets to their original condition and we will be happy to replace a part. However, due to the magnitude and variety of building elements contained in LEGO construction toys throughout the years, we may have to substitute a color or replace only those elements that are unique to the original model and currently in our inventory. This service is provided as a courtesy to our consumers.

We were unable to correctly identify several of the elements in your request and would like to ask for you for your assistance. To replace a lost element or building instruction, we will need a complete description of the part, the page number it is on, and the appropriate LEGO set number which is located at the top left hand side of the box. Also, we now offer several downloadable building instructions (with more being added everyday) on the LEGO.com Customer Service Site. Please go to: http://www.lego.com/eng/buildinginstruc ... efault.asp for more information.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. We wish you many more happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Jessica
LEGO Direct Consumer Services
OK. Fine. I'll try the number listed as "Item:".
I wrote:Jessica,

It looks like I had the wrong set number. There were no instructions with the set since the minifigs came pre-assembled. The red minifig magnet (and his accessories), from Set #4297912 - Knights' Kingdom II Magnet Set, was stolen from my office. I found a picture of the set on bricklink.com. You can see it here: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?G=4287912

I would like to know if I can purchase a new red minifig magnet (Santis) and his accessories.

Thanks for your help.

Sean
Pretty clear and straight forward, right?
LEGO Customer Service wrote:Dear *my email address*

Thank you for your email from 01/26/06 and for your interest in our LEGO® products.

Please contact our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-835-4386 to request a catalog, which will list our current line of LEGO toys as well as the suggested retail price. You can also visit our website at www.LEGO.com and request a catalog online or order direct through our LEGO Shop at Home Service.

The products you inquired about are not available through Shop At Home. You may wish to check out www.legoland.com for the California online store. Also you may wish to contact any one of our LEGO® brand retail stores. Some will ship if they have the product you need. The URL for our store locator is: http://www.lego.com/legostores/default.asp

Thank you again for contacting us. We wish your family many happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come.

Nova
What?
I wrote:I think you are misunderstanding. I am not looking to purchase Set #4297912 - Knights' Kingdom II Magnet Set. I have the set. I would just like a replacement magnetic Santis minifig (and accessories) so that my set is complete.

Thanks,
Sean
OK. Maybe I'll get somewhere now.
LEGO Customer Service wrote:Dear Mr. Sean Ericksen,

Thank you for your email from 01/30/06 and for your interest in our LEGO® products.
[sidebar]Which is funny, because I sent the email on 1/26/06. And the email didn't include my second response, just the first. Hey, at least I'm not just an email address anymore. :lol: [/sidebar]

Continuing...
LEGO Customer Service wrote:Unfortunately, the Knights Kingdom II Magnet Set 4287912 you are looking for is not a part of our current list of available products that can be purchased or replaced through LEGO Shop at Home. This product will have be found at the store where the item was purchased. If you have any additional questions, please contact our Consumer Service Department at 1-800-835-4386. Customer Service hours are 8:00am to 10:00pm EST Monday-Friday and 10:00am to 6:00pm EST Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you again for contacting us. We wish your family many happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come.

Kathaleen
So, are they still confused since their last email appeared to be in response to my first reply? Or do they get it and the part is just not available? Is part of the problem that a different person responded each time? Is that a problem or is there even a problem? Do I just have unreasonable expectations of available replacement parts? Am I confused since 99% of their emails are form letter and only a sentence or two are actually in response to my issue? Should I just drop the matter? Should this be under 'Dear LEGO'? You tell me... Please.

Thanks,
Sean
"All my life I've had one dream...to acheive my many goals." - HJS

Visit my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108432
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Wow, that's really..... confusing. I hope your parts problem is sorted out, or at least you get a refund.

I just realised yesterday, that a new Danju I got at Christmas time has misprinted euro armour, I just never noticed it before.(My interest in jelly beans is not that great)

Hopefully my part problem will be sorted out with no problem either. 8)
Moroder
Apprentice

Re: Replacement Parts OR a less than helpful Customer Servic

Post by Moroder »

psu_ericksen wrote:do they get it and the part is just not available? Is part of the problem that a different person responded each time?
I would say 'Yes' to both of these questions... and that's all. Somebody can help more if you post your first e-mail.
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Hi psu_ericksen,

This...really seems like an out sourced service center. They appear to be using scripts. Which can be understandable with the amount of customers TLC has.

They didn't answer your question directly. It appears they don't have a script for your inquiry.

Bottom line, which they should have been able to say...you won't be able to replace this...unless you purchase the entire set again.

That's what I get from it anyway.

Cheers.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

For some stupid reason shop at home does not carry many items sold at LEGO stores and LEGOLAND theme parks. This is extremely frustrating for afols (especially collectors) because we can not order the items online or replace missing pieces. Most of these sets have the 7 digit number instead of a 4 or 5 digit set number

I suspect that the brick replacement department in Enfield does not have copies of LEGO store exclusive items. Many of their bricks are from returned items or surplus. The minifig packs were probably assembled in Europe and then shipped to the US stores. I got my kk2 2004 minifig magnet pack sent to me from Europe. I still need the kk2 2005 minifig magnet pack. Do not forget there is also a miscellaneous magnet fig pack from 2004 with that years mathias and a majisto with grey beard (the only set with that fig).

Occasionally items such as the foam swords, watches, clocks, pens, etc are sold at sah. I think that all brick built items should also be sold at sah. There is a small market for these items.

Good luck in your search for a replacement figure.

Ben
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

You might want to try phoning them. I find it much easier to talk to someone rather than e-mail and recieve a form letter. Just an option though. And if you do, be prepared for the fact that they might not have it in their replacement parts.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

OK. So I was in the office on Tuesday, and when I got up to go to the printer, I found Santis' shield on the floor of my cubicle. I was certain it wasn't there when I came in. And there's no way it was there when he first went missing since I did a whole CSI work-up on my cube. :lol: What's going on here? Did someone toss it in my cube when they walked by? Then I remembered that one of our admin girls had been in my filing cabinets earlier that morning. So, I opened a drawer and his helmet fell on the floor! "Santis, where are you? I'm coming for you buddy!" And there he was, stuck between the drawer and the inside of the cabinet. His sword was a bit bent and there was a small nick on his armor, but there he was nonetheless! Some jokester must have jammed him in there after breaking his leg off as "evidence" that he'd been messed with. :evil: So should I send another office-wide email, this time saying that he's been found? :lol:

I guess that my whole issue with Customer Service is now a moot point. But they were still less than helpful. And it's a shame that currently available parts aren't available for replacement. It's not like I was asking them to make a new mold to replace a pitchfork. :roll:

Too bad the items available in the LEGO Stores aren't available for purchase from Shop at Home...

Sean

Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Well I am glad you found him, but here's the story on what went wrong...

Everything Lego is not actually "The Lego Company" (herein referred to as "TLC"). They have lots of little corporations all working together to form what we like to think of as TLC. This is common business practice. Shop at home is one, all of the Lego Stores is another, and probably one for all of the direct sales, etc. What does this mean? They do not necessarily play nicely with each other. And, when it comes to "exclusives", not all of the TLC corporations carry them. There are shop at home exclusives, and Lego Store exclusives, and then others through direct marketing (like the TRU stuff). So, to boil it all down to you...

You called one corporation asking for a replacement part to something they do not stock! The minifig magnets are a Lego Store thing, and can only be found there. The direct sales people cannot help you, nor can the Shop@Home people.

This is the same reason why you cannot order things off of S@H and return it to a Lego Store, etc.

Hope that wasn't too much jargon for you.... I do work with lawyers you know and I sometimes can't help myself.
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

Recluce wrote:Hope that wasn't too much jargon for you...
No. I understand that TLC is made up of a bunch of different entities. Perhaps that's part of their problem. That they have an antiquated business model. It's no secret that they're having problems being profitable.

And I understand the idea of "exclusives". If everything available at the LEGO Stores was available at S@H, then I'd have no reason to visit the Store the next time I'm in Chicago. Now if only I had a reason to go to Chicago.... :lol:
Recluce wrote:You called one corporation asking for a replacement part to something they do not stock!
In a sense, I guess. But since S@H Customer Service is the main interface between TLC and their customers, you'd think that they would have a better stock of replacement parts.

In the early days of the internet, you couldn't return things you bought online to most stores. Quite the opposite now days. In fact, it's advertised as a selling point. And at some places, you can order online and pick it up at the store.

All in all, I think LEGO's done a tremendous job in evolving and recognizing customer needs. They've come a long way from the days of "Susan Williams".

Sean

Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I read your long post and can side with your problem. TLC has been a little irratating, even on the phone, when I contact their customer service. I guess somebody doesn't like their job :? Its a valid complaint you have here, and I hope this gets through to TLC. Like Architect said, it really is stupid that Shop @ Home doesn't carry many items like that.

BTW, you can buy a whole new set* on Bricklink.

It does cost $18 USD

I'm glad you found it after a while. I feel sorry for whoever did it :lol:
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

That is a strange story you have here. Makes me wonder if TLG uses machines to answer their mail...

I hope everything turned out all right for you in the end. :D
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I completely understand your problem. I had the same kind of problem with Lego just recently. I emailed them askign a specific question, and they sent me back an automated email written in 2004. It emailed them seven times, progresively letting my ticked offness show, until finally a real person emailed me, and said sorry for the trouble, heres your answer, then gave me the automated email again. They just aren't very good at customer sevice.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.