Fixing the Viking line

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Fixing the Viking line

Post by DanDanLegoman »

I'm writing this because I should love the Viking line, but I don't. I was trying to figure out why, and this is what I came up with:

* Zwords. I can't stand the zwords. The old broadswords would have been perfect! Also the bigger "king" swords would have made good claymores.

* Lack of diversity in headgear. Every single viking in the line has the same helmet! (And it doesn't stay on their heads too well either) I think the old chinstrap helmet would look pretty sweet mixed in. A wolf skull-cap would rock too.

Those are my main issues. I would have bought a bunch of Viking sets if it weren't for those problems...heck, it was mainly the swords. I could also complain about the Technic launchers, Bionicle parts, messy-looking chest prints, and lack of bows & arrows, but nothing's perfect (except classic Castle...and Space...and City...).
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I've heard Vikings are done, so there really isn't anything to fix.

Though I do agree with your points. I would also like to see the helmets in different colors, as I'm not a fan of that speckled metal.

I also with they'd done more minifig style mythical creatures, i.e. Trolls, Valkeryies, Giants, etc.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Ten years from now you're going to look back and say 'Oh why didn't I buy more Vikings'.

Cause for the similar reasons you listed, I didn't buy many Dragon Masters, Ninja and other LEGO series.

(not that I disagree with the points you've made, however)

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

I think Vikings are (or were - & that thought scares me) an excellent line! I really can't see much to seperate it much from the classic castle line. Besides the Bionicle element most of the design & ideas are alot closer to the castle sets of the 90's than anything KK2 has offered. Sure the swords are huge & colourfull but that's easily fixed. I don't mind the exclusion of bows as they weren't commonly used by Vikings (spears were a far more common ranged weapon & they supply heaps of those).

I agree with Sava, you will regret it years from now, I know I regret my LEGO purchasing Dark-Ages.

Maybe the Viking line will give way to a more historical aproach to Castle? One can only hope ...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This thread should go in the Dear LEGO forum. I will move it there.

I agree with many fans on CC and members in my lug that Vikings has too many catapults, creatures, and technic elements. I would like Viking buildings, women and children viking figs, and civilian sets (ie: trade ship, forge, armory, etc).

Ben
DS9
Laborer

Re: Fixing the Viking line

Post by DS9 »

DanDanLegoman wrote:I'm writing this because I should love the Viking line, but I don't. I was trying to figure out why, and this is what I came up with:

* Zwords. I can't stand the zwords. The old broadswords would have been perfect! Also the bigger "king" swords would have made good claymores.

* Lack of diversity in headgear. Every single viking in the line has the same helmet! (And it doesn't stay on their heads too well either) I think the old chinstrap helmet would look pretty sweet mixed in. A wolf skull-cap would rock too.

Those are my main issues. I would have bought a bunch of Viking sets if it weren't for those problems...heck, it was mainly the swords. I could also complain about the Technic launchers, Bionicle parts, messy-looking chest prints, and lack of bows & arrows, but nothing's perfect (except classic Castle...and Space...and City...).
- zwords are indeed rubbish, i dont like them either.

- helmets are not pretty since they are speckled metal.

- i do like the axes that can have 1 or 2 blades, excellent add-on!

- i do like the ship idea and the 2006 catapult idea
Crazy.. i was crazy once.. once they put me in a round room with a dot in the corner i liked that dot i counted that dot... one.. one..one..one ..it drove me crazy!! Crazy?!? I was crazy once!!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I seriously think lego ditched the line just for these reasons. We just can't be happy, can we?

I say brush aside the things you hate, be thankful for what you got! I mean really. The torsos where amazing, the new axes phenomonal, and the teeth where the best thing yet. I didn't mind the creatures at all, if that's what it took to catch kids attention, then thats good. Lego wasn't made for us. Kids like things that have actions, so lego gave them that, while still trying to make us olders happy by making the sweet torsos, faces, weapons, and spikes.

I will miss the line, but would never dream of fixing it.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Post by DanDanLegoman »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Ten years from now you're going to look back and say 'Oh why didn't I buy more Vikings'.
--Tony
Actually, I've been thinking the same thing. Ditch the Zwords and it's a decent line. Hmmm...
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Ten years from now you're going to look back and say 'Oh why didn't I buy more Vikings'.
Which is why I am going to buy a bunch before the stores run out.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

kelderic wrote:Which is why I am going to buy a bunch before the stores run out.
Which is why I have bought a bunch already and will probably buy more. :)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

LEGO should notice that the Viking Chess sets has been the number one seller at US SAH for a while now. This shows how popular the Viking line is. The figures are my favorites since Dark Forest.

Ben
Lonan
Foot Soldier

Post by Lonan »

I've said it before, but I really dig the Vikings. There are problems, like the zwords, but they seem to run through both the KKII and Viking lines. It's more of a problem with TLG than Vikings. And the pros far outweigh the cons. Great torsos, clip on axes, and even though the beasties are a little too technic, the wings, heads, teeth, etc. are great for MOC's. I'm going to stock up on them if they really are done. If that's the case, I'm hoping the best parts of the line get incorporated into a new Castle line. TLG is poised to recapture its former glory, I hope it happens.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=koolhand77]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/msm1977/]The Graven Hawk[/url] a short story
DS9
Laborer

Post by DS9 »

the viking line has indeed lots of nice add-ons to use in that line but also in other lines. That doesn't take away that it should have been introduced along side of the castle theme, but that is just my opinion... :shock:
Crazy.. i was crazy once.. once they put me in a round room with a dot in the corner i liked that dot i counted that dot... one.. one..one..one ..it drove me crazy!! Crazy?!? I was crazy once!!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

If I'm going to go and spend $8.99 (CAD) on a keychain, you know there's something special about the Viking chieftain....

(Yes, I was doing something of that nature today...)
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

JoshWedin wrote:
kelderic wrote:Which is why I am going to buy a bunch before the stores run out.
Which is why I have bought a bunch already and will probably buy more. :)

Josh
Nice :D Hopefully I will be able to get to Walmart in a few days.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.