We want Plumes

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

I think plumes are an essencial non essenciality. Confusing?
What I mean to say is that plumes are "the bees knees"(I hope I said that right), and are awesome to catalogue figures as important or not. This does not mean, though, they cannot be ranked without them. As I only have four plumes(or four thirs of 2 plume set, as I only have two big ones and two medim ones), only four guys can be ranked (what is more annoyng is that I had 3 visors with holes and somehow I lost them all) with plumes. But I don't need plumes, because they are simply not that important. What is important is that I want plumes (and holed visors), because I think they are cool. We are not the kids mass to know what they like and don't like, may as we may observe or ask one or two, because wanting or not, we end up influencing them into embracing our opinion. In a final analysis, we may have our own independent opinions, but what count's isn't that, it's only what the kid mass like, and unless they say "we want plumes", Lego has no way but to do what economicly is best for them. Even if one plume set costed 2 cents, in 100.000 sets it would be 2000 dollars more they would have to pay.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
ben_spinola
Gong Farmer

Post by ben_spinola »

i would like plumes again, but it is not a need
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Legendary_Corsair wrote: most people bought sets just for the plumes.
And not the minifigs or peices. Yeah. :roll:

I don't really think they would raise sales more than any other part addition- old style horse masks come to mind- but I agree they'd be nice to have.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Yup.. I want Orange and Purple plumes. Lime plumes would be interesting, as would Dark Pink and Sky Blue.

Dark Red, Dark Green, and Dark Blue would also be nice.

Dragon Plumes in pearl gold and black would be good.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

E of Alshire wrote:
Legendary_Corsair wrote: most people bought sets just for the plumes.
And not the minifigs or peices. Yeah. :roll:
I agree with you E, that statement above sounds absurd.

I think plumes could work. However, I'd prefer them to only be used on the extra-important knights (like the Lead General), not on everyone with a hole in their helmet. That way they keep some significance.

- Matt
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Post by DanDanLegoman »

I don't think I've ever seen another knight toy without a plume. I think any smart kid is going to see the holes in the knight's helmets and realize the plumes are missing.
Last edited by DanDanLegoman on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I would *love* to have new plume colours and have had them included in the new castle sets. I think it is an awful shame they are absent.

I did get a bunch of old plumes in an ebay lot, so I've roughly "enplumed" my new knights, but the colours don't entirely match (blue seems the best match though) and the dragon ones aren't quite right.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'd like to see plumes too, but think I'd rather see some new designs rather than the old ones. Since it sounds like they'll need a new mold anyway, new designs seems to be the way to go.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

One of the first things I remember about assembling Black Falcon Fortress was the plumes! It was so neat taking them off the wheel and adding that extra touch to the knights.

What's one little plume wheel going to hurt? Surely it won't cut into profits.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

Well, it's more like one little plume wheel times 100,000 sets. Then there's packaging and shipping and all that stuff.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a few less pennants and a few more plumes.
Paradosis
Laborer

Post by Paradosis »

If they'd stop putting those flames all over their sets, they'd have plenty of money for plumes. On the King's Castle Siege I count 12 flame pieces, and 14 pieces used to hold them (not to mention that the 1x1 headlight bricks they use probably cost more than the regular 1x1 bricks that would be there if not for the flames). Let's suppose they keep 3 flames for lamps. That still leaves 20+ pieces that they could do away with... surely 3 plumes aren't more expensive to produce than 20 pieces (many of which are specialized pieces and not basic bricks)? Though it could be about marketing... maybe the fire gets good reviews among their target audience.
Blixen
Villein

Post by Blixen »

Of course man, everyone loves fire. ;)

Back on topic, I totally agree with plumes. I love them to distinguish among my generals, and I think they're very important. I wish I had more plums, and I sure hope LEGO reintroduces them into the products.

While some of you say one plume that is two cent costs $2000 over 10 1000 sets, think about the profit they make. If three cents was added to each of those products, would it really make a difference? No. If there was one more other kind of element added to each set, it wouldn't make a difference either. What I'm really trying to say is that while a single plume added to all these sets wouldn't make a difference to LEGO, it would be brilliant for me and a bunch of other people as well.
I agree with the above statement.
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I'm sure that Lego has already thought this over. According to the article written by one of the designers, there were several cost and packaging issues.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I feel that we're looking at this in the wrong way.
Sir_Brick
Freeman

Post by Sir_Brick »

One thing is for sure, at least a handful of kids who get a set with one of the visor wearing knights are going to look at the holes on top and on the sides and realize horns don't fit in them. "Mommy, why did they put holes in my knights helmet?" "Maybe so he can breathe."
mouthofsauron
Villein

Post by mouthofsauron »

I (sob) only (sob) have one plume, that being the biggest of the three in blue :cry: :) Though we MIGHT be able to convince Redbean and Armothe to make some :wink:
Yes, I use to many smilies. Who Cares!
my brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=yelraf