The future of TLC...

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Section8
Villein

The future of TLC...

Post by Section8 »

I'm not sure if this is being discussed anywhere else, if so, delete or move it at will...

Awhile back someone posted in a reply that they wondered if TLC was having any financial troubles. Well, here is your answer:
http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.as ... ycode=2057

I like the sound of that "classic themes" lines.

PS: has anyone else noticed a change in the quality of the plastic in the bricks, specifically the Star Wars line?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Focus on classic product lines such as LEGO DUPLO/BABY/QUATRO, LEGO Make & Create, classic play themes, LEGO TECHNIC and LEGO MINDSTORMS. The aim is to achieve a stronger portfolio balance between these classic product lines and story-based products like for example BIONICLE, LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Harry Potter. This will lead to regain of the volume the company has lost over the past five years
Woohoo! :D I love this strategy of balancing the old and new. LEGO has avoided its core for too long. This sounds like good news. I am slightly concerned about product design time being cut in half but that is hard to judge. We do not know how much time was spent on sets in the 80's. This could mean that there will be good sets but less storyline. I would be ok with that.

Ben
Section8
Villein

Post by Section8 »

I am slightly concerned about product design time being cut in half but that is hard to judge. We do not know how much time was spent on sets in the 80's.
I have a LEGO book from the 80s (1988 I believe) that says product development time for each set was approximately 2-3 years. With the move to computerization, cutting that time in half would probably still produce decent sets, especially if they draw heavily from older designs.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Thanks for the info. Well I have read somewhere (although I do not remember where) that set design of an entire theme takes about a year from start to finish. If this is cut in half, that is a drastic reduction product design time.

Ben
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

As far as production design time...they could release sets that were very little different than the sets of the golden age, a few modifications, a couple extra minifigs, a new number and "viola" a new set that was not designed from scratch (reduces costs) and actually give that "castle" feeling because of its realism. Would any of you object to the crusaders and black falcons reappearing? The kids today would think it was all new and everybody would be happy :D
Troy T. Moore
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Focus on classic product lines such as LEGO DUPLO/BABY/QUATRO, LEGO Make & Create, classic play themes, LEGO TECHNIC and LEGO MINDSTORMS. The aim is to achieve a stronger portfolio balance between these classic product lines and story-based products like for example BIONICLE, LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Harry Potter. This will lead to regain of the volume the company has lost over the past five years
Yaaaay! Right on! I really hope that's not just an empty promise; I'm optimistic, though, and expect to see some better sets by 2005. One thing I thought of is if the production time is cut down, they'll be able to try out more themes/sets, and (hopefully) will be able to risk introducing some older-style sets because it won't take up so much of their valuable time.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I like that article 5 :D
I heard that TLC was going to fire people in Denmark, so I guess that thay´re in some kind of economic trouble. Sad to hear, but let´s hope they can fix it.

GO TLC!!

Of course they should concentrate on the things they do best, the toys, let someone else handle the computer games and all that secondary stuff.

There´s still hope.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

As long as they don't use more giant pieces to replace many smaller ones to speed up set development time, I'm happy.

The bit about returning to classic play themes (Hello, pirate, castle, space?) makes me feel happy. But will they actually pull it off. I vote no. I think we can only expect juniorized trash. Sorry to be a pessimist, but ...
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
AoErat wrote:The bit about returning to classic play themes (Hello, pirate, castle, space?) makes me feel happy. But will they actually pull it off. I vote no. I think we can only expect juniorized trash. Sorry to be a pessimist, but ...
Unfortunatelly I second your pessimism. I'm pretty sure they already consider their current sortiment "classic playthemes". Besides they have many Basic sets again, there is a "World City", there is a "Pirate" theme, there are "Trains" (now officially part of the World City) and there will be a "Castle" theme soon. Star Wars is a licensed theme but nonetheless "Space". What else can we expect....?

Bye
Jojo

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I have to disagree with the pessimism. Current system products are based the last few years of mediocre design (excluding LEGO Direct exclusives and lisenced sets) and poor management.

Products will improve for financial reasons. LEGO knows how much market share and shelf space they are losing. In addition, certain licensed products will probably end in a few years. System themes will improve if only to save the company in the long run. There are many capable designers at LEGO who can make good system sets. I still have hope for the future even though the recent past has been disappointing.

Ben
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Re: The future of TLC...

Post by Sir Terrance »

Section8 wrote: PS: has anyone else noticed a change in the quality of the plastic in the bricks, specifically the Star Wars line?
But, isn't ABS plastic all the same? I have noticed little quality change and e-mailed TLC about it. They said the would never change the quality, but is that true?? I would LOVE to see some classic themes around, yay my dream HAS come true!!!! :D :D :D :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

AoErat wrote:As long as they don't use more giant pieces to replace many smaller ones to speed up set development time, I'm happy...
So is that why they were doing that. I was under the impresson it was just so that the legoes would be more compatible with younger children and easier to build.

...But Bionicle, thats not a movie based theme, is it?
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

So is that why they were doing that. I was under the impresson it was just so that the legoes would be more compatible with younger children and easier to build.
I am really not sure - it is just a guess. But you have to admit, when you can just use some ugly car chassis instead of designing the whole thing ...

Of course I am sure there are other factors that contribute to juniorized parts, not just that.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

architect wrote:I have to disagree with the pessimism. Current system products are based the last few years of mediocre design (excluding LEGO Direct exclusives and licensed sets) and poor management.

Products will improve for financial reasons. LEGO knows how much market share and shelf space they are losing. In addition, certain licensed products will probably end in a few years. System themes will improve if only to save the company in the long run. There are many capable designers at LEGO who can make good system sets. I still have hope for the future even though the recent past has been disappointing.

Ben
Yes, I agree with you completely. Just look at the Orient Expedition line, for example; good stuff.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I´m with you on that one, D-man, OE is the best from TLC i´ve seen for a while.
To sad that they´re not going to go on with one of the few 'original' lines they´ve left.

Licenced things are just boring, but if want to ride on somone elses success it´s real good.
Original-ideas are better though :D

10-4
I'm back, and so is Castle!