What was your best garage sale find?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Sir Terrance
Councilor

What was your best garage sale find?

Post by Sir Terrance »

What was your best garage sale find? Mine was this set: http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?Set=6273-1 I got it for $9 USD and every piece was there and had original solid stud heads and was in excellent to new condition since it was built once and put back in the box so it was practically new!!!!! :D :D :D I am so happy with that find and hope to come across more. I found this around 1999. The instructions were even in great condition! What were your finds?
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Well I wouldn't call this a garage sale find exactly, it's used lego, but it wasn't at a garage sale exactly...I won't get into the story.

I got all that for 100 Canadian. It had a almost complete Royal Knights Castle in it. (Baseplate too, not shown in pic though, it did have a corner cracked and another crack in part of it though) It also included quite a few fairly rare pieces which were nice surprises. It had a few other sets I could identify were complete there, I figure the sets or mostly complete sets in it would be worth about 200-250 USD plus all the other misc parts which I couldn't put to any specific sets...which were more than half of it. :D
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I found a 1906 Majisto's Tower in near mint condition for $1.00 CAD and missing only 1 1 x 2 light gray brick. It even came in the box that was in very good condition. I sold the empty box for $4.00US on ebay. :D That was my one and only good garage sale find. It is usually miss when I play the hit and miss game with garage sales.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

My wife had the best garage sale find, and she knows nothing of Lego. It was when I just come out of the dark ages in the fall of 2002.

"I know you like Lego so I bought some for $15 at a garage sale!"

"Uh oh", says I. I was only buying new stuff at the time.
It was a pretty big bin with all sorts of crap mixed in; megablocks, tinker toys, lincoln logs, and lots of stuff covered with Playdoh. But it was mostly LEGO! Unfortunately it was space Lego :x .

I parted it out and sold it in my store for pretty big money. I still have some of the pieces left in the store I think. There was most of the parts from 6901, 6927, 6952, and 6951. Some yellow plate was super rare, I think I got like $6 for that one plate!
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmmm...I've never gotten any really good garage sale deals. I've bought a few things, but never at a 'great' price, or with 'great' pieces. But I did get a friend of mine to trade me his entire Lego collection(a tub about 1x2ft and 5in deep) for my french fries. It included some classic castle stuff. A few black falcon figs, a ghost, a few lion knights, and a few various other castle pieces. Also some classic space pieces, such as Space Police. And lots of various other pieces. So, I was pretty happy.

Cm2

P.S. I don't even like fries. :wink:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My brother found a mint with box 677 Knight's Procession for me at an estate sale. It only was $1 US. That is the great news. The bad news is there were other mint late 70's sets (not castle sets) at dirt cheap prices which he didnt get for me.

Ben
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

architect wrote:The bad news is there were other mint late 70's sets (not castle sets) at dirt cheap prices which he didnt get for me.
GAH! That was just a stab in the back for me! I hate seeing sets go to waste...
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

porschecm2 wrote:Hmmm...I've never gotten any really good garage sale deals. I've bought a few things, but never at a 'great' price, or with 'great' pieces. But I did get a friend of mine to trade me his entire Lego collection(a tub about 1x2ft and 5in deep) for my french fries. It included some classic castle stuff. A few black falcon figs, a ghost, a few lion knights, and a few various other castle pieces. Also some classic space pieces, such as Space Police. And lots of various other pieces. So, I was pretty happy.

Cm2

P.S. I don't even like fries. :wink:

*homer drool* ahhh french fries....

ahem anyway. I had a similar experience where my younger brothers friend decided he was to old to play with lego. :twisted:
I was more than happy to take his entire collection off his hands. He got rid of a box about two feet by a foot and a half by a foot deep.
While I didnt get it for some fries, it did only cost me 5.00 and a drive over to get them.

freak
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

My best buy was a complete yellow castle with all the figs and accessories and the instructions. I was still basically in my "Dark Age" but for the $5 or whatever they were asking I thought what the hey! :D

Just this past Saturday I got a bunch of bits and pieces for $5 from some neighbour kids who were having a "garage sale" in front of their house. I got my monies worth but I had to sort though a lot of MegaCrap first.

I can hardly wait until this, my first full summer of garage sales as an active AFOL! I'm saving my pennies already!
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It's hit and miss.

I don't usually have time to go to many garage sales because I'm usually working at the time, but my mom goes to them all the time and sometimes picks up LEGO for me.

First, she got me a big blue bucket from the Salvation Army. It was $2. It stunk. I mean it really smelled bad. The parts were all full of dirt or mold or something as if they had been played with in the mud. There were also pieces of chalk and other things in the bucket that had chalk dust and smell all over everything. My girlfriend and I tried to clean the parts off, but after spending hours and hours at it, about half of the parts were clean looking but they all still smelled bad. Finally, I just took out a couple parts that I needed for my Victory Lap Raceway which I was trying to re-assemble and gave the rest of the bucket right back to Salvation Army.

Later, my mom came from a garage sale with another blue bucket that was $3 and I was a bit worried. I paid her for the bucket and prepared myself for another letdown. I nearly hit the ceiling when I saw what was inside. There were about 10 castle, 10 pirate, 10 space, and 30 town minifigs, a dragon, some wagon wheels, all kinds of good bricks and plates, and just a horde of other good parts. It was incredible. She told me that there was also a red bucket and a big tub at the garage sale, so I got in my car and headed over there. When I arrived, the red bucket was gone, but I bought the tub for $7. I parted some of it out and got over $200 for it on e-bay, and I still have more than 75% of the stuff I bought. I am kinda picky about mixing used LEGO with my own stuff, but whenever I'm building something and don't have a particular piece, I often find it in the bin I got from that rummage sale. It's been an incredible source of parts and money. I hope to find more this year.

Finally, for $3, I got an Imperial Trading Post with a few parts missing. I was able to replace most of the missing parts from my own collection. Things like 2x4 light grey plate, 2x1 white brick, etc. Then I spent about $8 on bricklink buying the missing minifig parts, and the set is now complete except for the Admiral's head and hat. Argh! In the tub I got at the rummage sale, I got an admiral hat and head, but I sold them not knowing they were rare. I was hoping to complete the trading post and then sell it on ebay or something.
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

I don't go to garage sales alot, but i did find an almost complete Black falcons Fortress (the legend), 2 complete Black Monarchs ghosts and various armor, helm and weapon peices (the peices were in a tub of various lego peices) I got all of this for about 20 bucks, and it was worth every penny. :D
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8