Have so many legos that I can build anything anytime
No votes

Total votes: 42

lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

How many Bricks?

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Here's another question for all of you.

How many bricks do you have? Not in numbers of course, (that would be rather silly) but in terms on ease of building. As for me I'm with option #3 "Enough to build comfortably, but run short half the time"

Have fun!
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I was also build comfortably, but run out of bricks quite a lot, I always seem to run out. 1 x 1's in particular I have far to many of and 1 x 4 and 1 x 2's are what I always run out of. I also only have about 3000 2 x 4 so large stone foundations usually eat my brick and leave me using wall panels for the castle itself. Of course the scale I build on is usually enough to hold 150 - 250 soldiers. Poor me I know, but brick shortages are just that, no matter what size your collection.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

I voted for number 3, though maybe I'm a 4. I have way more bricks then I have time. The result is I have made large purchases of the old dark gray and old light gray that have sat unopened for weeks :cry: . I could stop buying and work on my castle for several weeks before running out of bricks.

But I will always run out of bricks....
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I voted for building anything within reason, but I still run out of bricks. Fortunately I plan ahead as much as possible so I minimize building blocks (pun intended).

The only creation I've built in recent memory where I was forced to wait on bricklink orders to get further with it but not enough to finish was building my red dragon.

Then again, I tend to think pretty big.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I voted "Can build anything within reason". The last option is - I claim - impossible. The more bricks you have the bigger you plan on building. And THEN you ran out of bricks ;) In particular some special bricks you never have enough of even if you think you have got everything you will ever need.

Bye
Jojo

porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I'm definately option #3. But I've actually found that often not having enough bricks forces me to think outside the brick, so to speak, and come up with things I NEVER would have dreamed of when I started. 90% of my mocs turn out drastically different than planned, because of my lack of bricks. And quite often, they turn out drastically better than planned, because of my lack of bricks. So it's a blessing and a curse all in one... :wink:

Cm2
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

porschecm2 wrote: But I've actually found that often not having enough bricks forces me to think outside the brick, so to speak, and come up with things I NEVER would have dreamed of when I started. Cm2
I think this is true for me as well. I build larger and bigger now, but I think I built better when my resources were limited. It forces you to think of solutions when you run out of bricks.

However; I'm not going back :P
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I've got enough to make almost anything I would attempt at the moment, but they are almost all still stored at my parents' place. I, however, am away at school. This makes for a bit of a problem. Though I've got a good deal here, as my roommate will attest (they are spread all over half the living room floor at the moment). But, I am forever having to stop projects or improvise. Think I'm going to make a special trip home to get the pieces I need. Lucky its only about an hour drive.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Jojo wrote:I voted "Can build anything within reason". The last option is - I claim - impossible. The more bricks you have the bigger you plan on building. And THEN you ran out of bricks ;) In particular some special bricks you never have enough of even if you think you have got everything you will ever need.
I agree. As for my collection, I voted number two :( I have recently discovered Bricklink, though, and now my collection will grow as fast as my funds will allow.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

"Can build anything within reason"

I picked this one because, if I have my entire collection, I really can build what I want. Altho usually I try to keep as much together as possible for shows/displays, etc.

Altho, I couldn't do a castle like Dan Siskind's Vlad's Castle or a space ship as big as any of Dan Jassim's.

But then again, I've got one spaceship built right now that is 112 studs long, and my next one is expected to be 200 studs long - but that means no large castle or tower.

I'm not gonna be buying red/yellow/blue pieces anytime soon - but i could ALWAYS use more grey. Grey anything, slopes - tiles - bricks - plates - anything.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I'm somewhere between the "anything within reason" and the "run short half the time". I'm usually pretty well off--I take things apart and recycle pretty much immediately after photographing. There are pieces I quickly run out of, though. Also, with some very large creations I run short. For instance, one thing I'm going to have to do for my Lord of the Rings project is a street in Minas Tirith--basically a city wall on one side and then buildings lining either side of the street. The other day I built a huge gray wall with all my gray 2x4's just to see how big it could be--about 20 or so bricks high across 64 studs of baseplate. That's about the right scale for what I want, but I'll still have to build the buildings--luckily I can cheat in that only the fronts of buildings have to look good and no interiors necessary, since this is essentially a movie set.

Bruce
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I can build comfortably, but I run out quite often. I have more 2*4 greys than I need, and don't expect to run out any time soon. 2*2s, 2*3 and most 1 stud wide bricks tend to run short. I don't have nearly enough plates or bases. As far as special pieces go, I've got thousands that I'll never use, but never enough of what I need.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I go with option 4 since I do have quite a lot of bricks, I just don't try building huge things, so I don't run out. I plan on making a massive order on bricklink some day. (5000 parts!!!)
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

I am between 'run short half the time' and 'anything within reason.'

I can usually build whatever I wish too comfortably. If I do need some more pieces, it's usually pieces I can easily and inexpensively get from bricklink. And when I do try to create a large MOC I try to plan ahead and make sure I'll have enough. Of course that often fails...

Funny thing is, sometimes it's the smallest models I have problems with parts with...something that needs multiples of unusual parts or something...always happens. :evil:
Last edited by J1A3L5 on Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
Villein

Post by Cat »

Typically I can build comfortably, but the end product is usually rather different from the original vision. Grays are my biggest problem along with slopes (for roofing).