How about this for a new theme?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

How about this for a new theme?

Post by Athos »

I've recently been rereading the Chronicles of Narnia, and have been hearing rumors about possible movies of them. This got me thinking, what a great theme for Lego. Very successful children's books, fantasy themed, movie. Even better than Harry Potter.

The Lion, the Witch, and the WardrobePossible Sets:

Small Set: ~100 pieces ($10)
"The Wardrobe": small wardrobe with a false back, with trees and lamppost. Includes Lucy.

Small Set: ~100 pieces ($10)
"Edmund and the White Witch": witch in sledge, edmund, and reindeer, small box of Turkish delight

Small Set:
"Father Christmas": outdoor scene. includes Santa, a beaver, the 3 Pevensies receiving gifts.

Small Set:
"Peter's First Battle": Peter fighting Fenrus the wolf near a big tree.

Medium Set: ~200-300 pieces ($20-$30)
"Lucy and Mr. Tummunus": cave like home, with the fawn and Lucy.

Upper Medium Set: ~300-400 pieces ($30-$40)
"The Beavers Home": medium beavers home. Includes the three Pevensies and two beavers.

Upper Medium Set:
"Stone Table" wooded area with stone table. Includes Aslan, Susan and Lucy, and Witch

Large Set: ~800-1000 pieces ($100)
"Cair Paravel": white castle on seaside base plate. 4 thrones. Pevensies as Kings and Queens. 1 Centaur. 1 Merfolk.

How cool would that be? Then just think of all the other books. A Dawn Treader set (my favorite book BTW). Giants' City. Emerald Witch. Ruined City. Tash (God of Calmorens). Rabadash the Donkey.
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Athos,

I moved your topic because the LEGO Castle forum is only for official set discussion.

Thanks,

Ben E.
Sets Admin
CC Sets Admin
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Hmmm...I'm not sure how it'd do as a Lego theme...perhaps it might work. I'm also not sure I'd want to see it as a movie, unless they stuck VERY closely to the books. The Dawn Treader would be awesome, though. I, as well, liked that book the best, though it had no real point in the overall plot, just as the Silver Chair did not, either, which is my second favourite book of the series. Could be an interesting theme though...though highly unlikely...though if a movie were made it would become more likely.

Cm2
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

There is a movie being made.... :)
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There is a movie being made
Really? I didnt know that. There are already movies you know :wink: I think this would be interesting as a toy but I dont know if it is too dark or has too many religious undertones for LEGO to make it.

Ben
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Dark it is not. Religious it is. It was written as an allegory to the life of Christ. That's why I am skeptical about a movie-not that one is or isn't being made, but rather how accurate it will be. Except for The Passion, Hollywood has a way of obscuring such things as that. And it is doubtful Lego would want to become involved in such...

Cm2
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

The LOTR was also a very religious movie since J.R.R was a Christian. Like when Frodo carried the ring up Mount Doom and struggled with Sam helping was like when Jesus struggled up the hill with the cross and Simon helping. Or when the orcs took Frodo's clothes and gambled for them after bitten by the spider like after Jesus was crucified and the Roman soliders gambled for Jesus' clothes. There are many other similarities throughout the movies as well. The LWW would be a great theme for LEGO, but it would be done in flesh colored mini-figs which brings the set's value down a notch.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

However, you have to be careful comparing things in LOTR. Tolkien specifically said it was not written as an allegory, and he was not trrying to relate it to anything else. The Chronicles or Narnia, on the other hand, were written as allegorical tales. Both are excellent. :)

Cm2
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

The LEGO part:

I'm generally down on licensed themes, wishing instead that TLC would go back to the classic castle ideas of the past rather than pre-planned story lines. That aside, this would be an interesting idea. There would be lots of new elements that would be introduced (which might be an argument why TLC wouldn't do it):
Different leg elments for the Faun (perhaps similar to the wooden legs from the pirates line), and probably a molded head.
Reindeer--similar to the molded horse, but with a different head.
Beavers--perhaps these would be similar to the ewoks in construction.
Stone knife--a new weapon
Centaur--perhaps a new element replacing the head on the horse with a connection to attach a minifig torso. This would allow for different bodies and heads.
Merpeople--very cool, but probably not important enough to the story to actually make them.
On the gifts, they could pay Jojo for his sewing machine design:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=14691
It would be cool for a set to include two versions of the same fig--one in normal colors and the other all in gray, so you could have the witch turn someone to stone.

Out of other books, I'd most like to see the Dawn Treader as a big ship.
Giants would be cool, but tough. I suppose they could use the new KK maxi-figs.
Puddleglum is one of my favorites, but I doubt I'd be happy with the fig they came up with because it would never match my mental image. Reepicheep would be similarly difficult--would they make him based on a minifig body, just with stubby legs and a molded head, or make something more like the monkey?
Fledge, the winged horse would be cool. They could easily use the wings from Buckbeak from the HP line.
Aslan would be the toughest. I don't know how any plastic rendering (or any CGI rendering in the movie) could live up to the imagery in the books.

One benefit of some of the new elements above is that they could be easily morphed into a "Greek mythology" theme. Perhaps, rather than hope for a C.S.Lewis theme, it would be more likely that they made a theme based on the myths of different cultures. That'd be pretty cool, and would get us lots of the things we've wished for--vikings, greek/roman, etc.

The non-LEGO part:

The LWW movie has been off and on for years, but from this link it looks like it's on again:
http://movies.go.com/movies/L/lionwitchwardrobe_2004/
Lewis' stepson was involved last I heard, so I doubt the religious content will be diluted too much.

I'm trying really hard not to go into a 20 page off-topic discussion of thematic elements in Tolkien. Suffice it to say simply that one line from the forward is not Tolkien's last word on the subject of allegorical interpretations of his work.

Bruce