Opening MISB: sacrilege or normal life of a Lego box?

Discussion of general LEGO topics

For me, MISB:

must be kept sealed, especially never opened!
3%
may be opened, that is a way to have brand new old sets
75%
hum... I have MISB sets and I hesitate to open them... I don't know...
22%

Total votes: 36

J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

If I had a rare MISB set I wouldn't open it...atleast now without thinking about it a lot. I do have some sets MISB, mostly sets which I don't care about the set (soccer lights set, small life on mars sets, etc) which I have gotten cheap and for parts. I will just open them when I have a use for the pieces. Then I have a couple sets such as 3 MISB Cloudcar sets, which I got for extremely cheap ($3-4 Canadian :D ) and I already have two open. So I plan to keep those unopened. If I didn't have atleast one open though, I'd open one for sure.

So, basically, if I have multiples or it's just a parts set I don't open them unless I need the parts, or if it was a rare set I wouldn't open it.
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

How can you play with 'em if you don't even open the box?

Stephen
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Thanks for your anwsers!!
I think another option should be added: It depends.
Yes, that's the reason why I wrote "may be opened", and not "can" or... "must", as many of you think!!!
I would think long and hard before opening a rare MISB set. [...] Mainly I think it's cause at this point there's only so many classic MISB sets to go around, and every time one getts opened, that's one less set for the future...and that can never be recovered.
Yes, I agree with you (and other) too.

So, the Legend collection is a good way to refind child emotions. But opening old Legoland sets, even small,... hum, it'a a so hard dilemma between the pleasure of having a "new" old set (never toutched, etc.) to expose and the pleasure of having an intact object of collection...
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I voted for "May be opened..." I've never been a collector, and I agree with most of you guys that Lego sets were meant to be opened. And anyway, how am I supposed to get enough bricks to make a moderatly sized castle if they're all sitting in boxes on a shelf?

--Caleb
lar
Villein

MISB, to open or not?

Post by lar »

It's a lot of fun to open old sets and when I have multiple copies I have no qualms. However I am trying to foster the LEGO addiction in my son so I do save some copies MISB when I can, so that HE'LL have the agonising choice too.

(it's such a sweet agony!)
Larry Pieniazek
[url=http://www.iltco.org/]ILTCO[/url] | [url=http://www.michlug.org]MichLUG[/url] | [url=http://www.miltontrainworks.com]MTW[/url]

[img]http://www.miltontrainworks.com/images/mtw-4n2.gif[/img]
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

David Girard wrote:
Could you imagine the life of the poors minifigs in the box...terrible. Let the minifigs in the box is crualty.

Save them ! Open the box !
:lol:
Yeah, but then they go in the sorting bin. Back into another box. At least they get to talk to other minis there. (and pick fights with bad castle themes like Fright Knights and KK2.) :lol:
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I'd open it for sure. What fun is playing with a box? :P
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

If you are some sort of serious collector, obviously keep 'em sealed. I myself am a casual collector, so I would open it and built the darn set. ;) Man, just thinking about opening an old-style box makes me happy.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Open it. What fun can a box be, if you want to collect something, collect stamps. Lego is for building. I would be careful opening a rare box and keep it stored well if I thought it was important, but the joy of the set is in the building, not the having. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I guess I just cannot look at a box of LEGO and not want to just rip it open & build. Even if I already have the set, I will open it. As I never pay above retail for one (and more often than not, I pay clearance) I do not feel the least bit indifferent about my decision to let the LEGO trapped inside cardboard and plastic bags to breathe fresh air 8) .

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

About a month ago on eBay, I got a 6039 Twin-Arm Launcher MISB for only $7.15 including shipping. It took me 4-5 days to get myself to open it.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, the main reason I dream about MISB sets is for the stuff in them. But if it was really rare, I dunno. I'd probably open it though: Lego comes from 'Play Well' in Danish, and means "I build" in Latin. And quite frankly, looking at an unopened box is quite paniful if you want the contents. If it was a rare set, I'd probably sell it, and buy two or three used versions. Let someone else have the headache. :lol:
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I buy sets to enjoy them, I prefer MISB if I can cause I know what I'm getting.

Prehaps if I could afford to buy 10 of each set, I would save one closesd :twisted:
Croaker
Serf

Post by Croaker »

I have a large collection of MISB. I have opened even more. Some of the MISB I regret opening but I think I will open them all one day. either that or sell them. Why have unopened boxes around for ever.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

TwoTonic Knight wrote:Lego is meant to be played with.
Amen.

There really isnt anything else to be said.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~