LOTR Legos

Discussion of general LEGO topics

Should TLC come out with LOTR legos?

Yes, that would be cool!
50%
No, they would probably not do a good job?
28%
Other ( if other please post feedback and say why)
22%

Total votes: 36

Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote:I think it would be too hard to make a worthwhile LotR LEGO collection. You'd want a theme that spans multiple years, so there'd need to be lots of sets, but most of the action in LotR is out-doors, and LEGO is really more suited to making buildings and stuff. Also, most of the locations with buildings are huge, like Isengard, or Minas Tirith, or Minas Morgul. So I don't know how easy it would be to make kits that are really appealing. At least with a franchise like Harry Potter most of the action is in the school, and with Star Wars there are all those ships. Much easier to turn into toy form, at least for LEGO.
I can think of a lot of cool out door sets:

1. Barrow Wraith Den
2. King's Throne (from where Frodo could see the army's moving)
3. Ruins (where the party was attacked by the Nazgul in the first book)
4. Bilbo's birthday party (like a joust set)
5. Elven forest
6. Uruk Hai kidnappers (minifigs only)

As for buildings, you could do so many things:

1. Modular walls (for the various cities and fortresses. Purchase as many as you want and keep putting them together.)
2. Farm house
3. Inn (Book 1)
4. Spide Cave (Book 3, I forget the name of the giant spider at the moment)
5. Orc Guard House
6. Modular Gate (add to the walls)
Etc...

I don't think it's a question of whether you could make nice sets. Clearly you could. Lego simply won't.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I am not a philosifer (or however you spell it) so I won't say anything other than, YES they should make LOTR Lego! It would be awsome. Though I wonder how many new lego pieces they would make for it. I hope not to many.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Robin Hood wrote:
I am not a philosifer (or however you spell it) so I won't say anything other than, YES they should make LOTR Lego! It would be awsome. Though I wonder how many new lego pieces they would make for it. I hope not to many.
Personally, I think the issue is more about common sense than philosophy, and unfortunately, common sense says that TLC will never do it, and if they do, they will botch it. :cry:
Manwe_Valar_of_air
Serf

Post by Manwe_Valar_of_air »

Yes, LOTR is one of the best books and movies I have ever seen, and it would be good to have a non-custom Uruk.
I'm Manwe mightiest of the Valar and lord of the Undying lands.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

LR is one of the best books of all time (voted time after time as the best book of the 20th century, which produced more books than any century to date), and the movies by Peter Jackson were stunning in every way (except where they really moved away from the books: like Aragorn's crown: yuck!)

However, I stand by what I have said: it would probably be botched. The book and movies may be among the best ever, but the LEGO Theme would probably be an unoriginal disappointment, at best. Not that it couldn't be the best theme ever, if they had us designing it. :P
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

even if it was similar it would be cool. Does it need a real Gandolf or just a grey wizard, two different white wizards and a brown wizard. I would be happy with just mor variety in the minifig department
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I think Lego could do a fair job on the buildings and inanimate objects, but I just have to wince whenever I see the new minifigs. Although the true grandeur of the films could not be completely done justice even at the hight of Lego's creativeness, if Lego came out with a fantasy land unrelated to LOTR but compatable to LOTR MOCs it would be great. actually, I think that the reason Lego put out KK2 was because of King Arthur, Troy, The Alamo, and all of those other war movies that are becoming popular since LOTR put everyone in the mood for more. So overall, I believe that if it was 1993 right now, heck yeah, but now? I think that it would be just sad, too sad... But maybe thy'll grab the rights for The Hobbit and we can use the parts to make our own LOTR range... Seriously, I'll bet that if LEGO had a Classic Castle member as a set designer, the world would be perfect...
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Commander Redbeard wrote:IAlthough the true grandeur of the films could not be completely done justice even at the hight of Lego's creativeness, if Lego came out with a fantasy land unrelated to LOTR but compatable to LOTR MOCs it would be great.
Commander Redbeard did it. He got me going. Again.

I do have a point, however. The LR movies are NOT the LR. The LR is the book by Professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. The movies were awesome, with exception of a few ridiculous Alan Lee or John Howe (whichever it was) twistations (like Aragorn's crown and Arwen's sword), they were even very accurate. However, the movies are only one interpretation of Tolkien's books. Lego, should it somehow find itself in the position to make some sets, would properly create its own interpretation. An interpretation that would hopefully differ from the stylism of the movies.

Unfortunately, however, that is unlikely. Lego will never make LR sets. If they did, they would base it off the movies. :x , and even then, they'd probably ruin it. :(