There's good in every theme.

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

There's good in every theme.

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Ok, I know alot of people would like to burn Jack Stone Pirate alive, but I've been looking at the new pictures Brickset has and now I'm pretty excited about this theme:

Probally the best set of the new pirate line, I think there are only two parts that I would not use, the black catapult and the fig. The rest of the pieces look really useful; flag, brown curved bricks, mast, palm leaf, and a CHROME scimitar! :shock: :D

Besides the figs, this set is rich with cool parts; brown boat, large black oars, gray (!!) barrel, black chain, red parrot, treasure, and a palm tree. yes, the palm tree is the 'new' one with a wider base a fuse-together branches, but I don't mind.

The highlight in this set is the black ship, but there is also a mast, red scorpion, a treasure chest, gray scimitar and misc other pieces.

No much of a set (are any of them?), but this too has some cool parts; light and dark gray scimitars, two grey chests, brown boat, black oars, new brown mast and interesting-looking mini skull.

This probally the worst set, but there are several interesting pieces; 4x4 tile with map printing (please don't be a sticker!), spider webs, croc, white scimitar, brown oars and that wierd skull.

An.....odd ship, to put it nicely. The brown railing at the front of the ship might be useful, but the rest..... :?

Cool parts pack if it was $1; black scimitar, bottle, croc and goblet.

The best of the three 'minifig' sets; two scimiters, black and white, jewel, flag and (LEGOFREAK's gonna luv this) a monkey!

A nice parts pack with a jewel, scimitar, white shark and chest.

I don't know about you, but I think the Pirate line will aid Castle greatly.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I agree completely. There are so many awesome pieces in these sets that you could previously get only in larger, expensive sets. I'm looking forward to picking some of these up.
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Wow. At first I was disapointed with this new line of Pirates but there is some really useful stuff. The skulls look great,the schimitars don't look bad, and the cannons(i have none of them) Would be a real nice adtion to my collection of siege weapons.And look at thos maps. Don't forget the flags. I might just buy a bunch of those "worst set" as you called it. It's the one that is an outpost thing.
Space rocks.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Hey, your right! On close investigation, these to yield some nice parts. Of course, I wasn't disappointed in the first place from the stand point of the fact that I'm not a Pirate fan. But, these did (and still do)seem to show in just another way how LEGO is going down-hill... :cry:
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

It turns my stomach just to look at this bilge-scum. The designer needs to be racked, hung, drawn and quartered and keel-hauled under a heavily barnacled brig all simultaneously! Jack Stonebeard - arrrrr, the shame of it, ya landlubberly swabbos!
:cry:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Re: There's good in every theme.

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:gray barrel...gray scimitar...light and dark gray scimitars...two grey chests...brown boat...new brown mast...The brown railing
*start rant*

Ahhh, but you forget - these are in the "new" colors. For me, they will do no good. I have a fair amount of light and dark grey and I do not want any "pollution" in my sets. Then again if I kept the two seperate and used them individually, it might be OK, but as it stands, the sets are not only disgusting, but liable to be way overpriced.
forester3291 wrote:and the cannons (I have none of them)
Oh come now, if you want to get some cannons get some real ones off of Bricklink - there are such things as *real* shooting ones - look here

*end rant*

I'm sorry for the rant. I just am highly disappointed at what TLC has done to the pirates line. To put it this way, I was disgusted at the castle line (even if it does have OK pieces), and shocked and indignant at the color changes. Here they are taking a "traditional" line and twisting it into something awful. At least they gave us a glimmer of hope in giving us minifig sets in castle.

However that is not to say that the line does not have any redeeming qualities. As Lord of the Lego pointed out, there are quite a few good pieces in there. Nevertheless, I would prefer to get them off of bricklink or wait till the sets are in the $1 bin.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

If the prices of the sets were shown here I could better judge whether or not any of these would be worth buying.

As it stands, I'll have to assume that they will be overpriced and not worth it for a few cool parts, especially since the minifigs are probably the most valuable parts and they are useless in these sets.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Well the ship is even half decent, and as you said a lot of unique colorful parts. Maybe I'll buy some of the small ones, I wouldn't go wild over them though.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I agree that there are a number of useful/interesting pieces, but I have to wonder if the price will make them prohibitive to buy, at least until they hit the reduced bin, and even then you have to be lucky to grab them: there's a lot of Lego fans in this country.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I agree that these aren't the worst lego the world has ever seen, but it makes me wonder. I pirates and town start to become Jack Stone like, them maybe after a few years, all will be Jack Stonish! It does seem like it is going there.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Down with Jack Stone!!!! I was a BIG pirate fan for a few years but there is no way I'm going to put these in my collection alongside my ranks of Imperial Guards. I'll just get the good pieces when they hit eBay. The only reason I'd buy the sets would be to sell them for a higher price. Like anyone is going to want them.
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

Hooray!! :D Monkeys and scimitars!! :D Other than that it's RUBBISH! :evil:
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
forester3291
Merchant

Re: There's good in every theme.

Post by forester3291 »

lemon squeezer wrote:
forester3291 wrote:and the cannons (I have none of them)
Oh come now, if you want to get some cannons get some real ones off of Bricklink - there are such things as *real* ones - look here
Just so you know I want the technic cannons and not the "real" ones. And you always have to look at the positive side on things and there is some real positive stuff in this line. No buts about it. Yu can't tell me you wouldn't buy the set with the chrome silver sword. And who cares if the stuff is new gray. It doesn't look that much of a difference. So always look at the positive and if there is only one positive aspect then look at it and think how you can further it's uses :wink:
Space rocks.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Robin Hood wrote:
I agree that these aren't the worst lego the world has ever seen, but it makes me wonder. I pirates and town start to become Jack Stone like, them maybe after a few years, all will be Jack Stonish! It does seem like it is going there.
Nah, it'll never happen: they'll just make all the minifigs have flesh-coloured skin.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

ooooo.... that Chrome Scimitar will be used on my new-version of Chinese Kwan-Daos. :D
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]