Custom sets

Discussion of general LEGO topics
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

*Another reason I did not consider the raised sidewalk to "waste" pieces is that I rarely build a set according to the instructions anymore. I thought that some people might like the extra pieces, particularly the grey ones.

I am having quite a bit of difficulty determining how to design the elephant cage. It will certainly be the tallest one, and determining how to build the walls without using hundreds of 2x4 bricks will be very difficult considering the fact that elephants are strong enough to uproot trees... Does anyone have any ideas?
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Thanks for the reply, I understand now.

Re: Elephants - the trend in real zoos is for enclosures so why not make an enclosure with a moat and then a short wall on the visitors side?
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Did someone mention something about a dock? :wink:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dcce/MLCAD/dock.jpg
David Cheramie

Todd
Freeman

Post by Todd »

Did someone mention something about a dock?
Yes I did. Cool image.
Don't make me angry... I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Is the dock for sale?
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Green Fox wrote:Is the dock for sale?
It can be if anyone is interested in buying it. :wink:

However, I just threw that together in a hurry. I would probably add a few more things to it before selling it. In fact, eventually I would like to make a whole fishing village (as was mentioned earlier) and even a small harbor. As the dock is right now it's so simple most people could probably build it themselves from the picture! I would also need to find a good source for blue plates...

I think that I will need to make an order from Shop at Home before I can start selling some of the sets, but I hope to be able to make the order sometime within the next week (I need to finish designing as much as I can so that I know which pieces I need to order).
David Cheramie

Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

For the Elephant enclosure, you could have an area of grass and maybe a pond, and a raised walkway round the outside. 8)
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Well, since my once-popular forum topic has now slid off of the first screen toward the dark and dusty archives, I thought it was time to post another picture of my progress! :lol:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dcce/zoo/zoo3.jpg

Enjoy!
David Cheramie

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

A use for Droid Fighter wings! Good job on that, if on nothing else!
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Formendacil wrote:A use for Droid Fighter wings! Good job on that, if on nothing else!
The same piece could also be used for a toll booth or other kind of ticket booth, or even gas station pumps.
David Cheramie

Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I probably couldn't afford any of it, but I enjoy looking at your progress anyway.
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

Well, I haven't made too much progress on the custom set designs this week, but I do have a question if anyone is still interested. Several of you have said that these look neat to you but that you are only collecting castle stuff right now. I had an idea about how to make these custom sets useful to castle builders as well. The idea is this: create two sets of instructions, one to build a zoo as you have seen so far, and the other to use the same pieces to create a castle-related structure. This would probably only work if you bought several different zoo sets because a single one might not have all the necessary pieces, but you may be able to use pieces from your existing collection instead. It could be like the soccer sets, where you could combine several sets to create something bigger, but did not have to buy the entire line. I may have to create small accessory packs to supplement the pieces that are in the zoo sets. What do you think? Does that sound like a good idea or not? Let me know what you think, or if you are confused and need further clarification! :)
David Cheramie

Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Ooooh... tricky. It would be difficult to pull this one off. For example, what castle building uses glassed windows? Or droid slopes? I think these can be modified quite easily to be castle buildings by the buyers. Just a thought.
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

David Cheramie

Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

what is the tall building at the far side?