Dragon Masters-What's wrong with them?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Snoopy
Archer

Dragon Masters-What's wrong with them?

Post by Snoopy »

These questions are for those who don't like Dragon Masters (though anyone can post).

Why don't you like Dragon Masters? What is it about them that ranks them lower then other themes even themes that came out after them?

Personally, I think they rate right where they appear chronologicly.

By the way, administraters, please move this if it isn't where it should be. I don't know if it should go here or somewhere else.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Dragon Masters-What's wrong with them?

Post by footsteps »

Hmmm, I'm not a DM hater, but there are a number of things that cause me to rate them lower and it has to do with the minifigs rather than the sets.

1) The various torso logos seemed too cartoonish (though the shield logos were better, particularly the ovoid ones), just like the RK and KK lion's head.
2) Mis-matched right/left colours for arms and legs.
3) Those big helmets - too much out the back.

So, nothing earth-shattering -- more like minor annoyances really. Not my cup of tea :wink:

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Well I'd have to say that the structures. DDD is a hollow mound, Majisto's Magical Workshop has no door, FBF just plaine sucks! I also think the fantasy element to it is a little lame (I liked it better when I was a little kid). Actually now that you mention it, I hate DMs!

Just Kidding!

What I do like about them is the sheilds and the torsos (when properly matched with single colored arms and legs). I like the capes too. As you can tell from my avatar, I play DM's differently. I like to make them more Black Knight like, then nomadic.

-DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I agree with you on the helmets, don't like them very much.

However, I like the torsos (especiall the leader's). I think the mismatched arms and legs are a clever idea.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Don't like the buildings. Not crazy about the wizards or dragons. LOVE THE FIGS AND FIG ACCESSORIES: THOSE DRAGON PLUMES ARE MY FAVOURITES. When you get right down to it, I like Black Knights better, because of the MUCH better set design. But I love Dragon Masters. They just look so darned cool.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

The only thing I dont like about them is their helmets, and the torso that has the whole dragon on it. Other than that I like them.
Alan
good times
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I love their helmets. I use them for the Kahilawayans. They're torsos, the two with Dragon heads are OK. I don't like the one that shows the whole body.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Brickboy

Glad to hear you finally like them. You said they looked dumb when you first saw mine, remember.

JPinoy

Do you have any pics of your Kahilawayans? I'd like to see them.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Boy, a bunch of people who don't really hate Dragon Masters have to try and soften the blow...

...so we have to get a real DM hater in here to set things right. :D

Sets: The beginning of Juniorization. The fall from Grace. Just Plain Ugly.

Figs: Lets start off with color. Basically, the designer was color blind. The basic colors of the torso are hideous enough with yellow, red and black. Let's throw in some parti-coloring to sleeves and leggings. Okay, that's an interesting approach since it actually was done at points during the middle ages, but stick with the established color scheme? Nooooooooooo! Let's throw in some blue. But wait! There's more! We need some green - let's add that to the shield and cape so that nothing matches at all! And just for variety, some figures will have gray legs with both arms blue. Awful! Hideous! I would have failed basic color design with this mish-mosh. And then there is the faction design, which consist of a bad dragon head and a worse full figure dragon. Let's top this off with ugly faces and a helmet that is so unrecognizable as a sallet that people refer to it as "Roman".

Not everything was bad. The capes weren't bad considered by themselves, though they came up with a better design so that they didn't stream out stiffly behind. Majisto was a great addition. The dragon marked a beginning of a willingness to do something beyond just people and horses.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I really like their triangle shields, like from the old Black Monarch's sets, but I dislike the way the Dragon Masters have those dorky helmets and stupid dragon plumes. it just seems excessive.

However, they do have decent torso designs and minifig faces. On the other hand, their building designs are pretty weak.

Anyway, those little dragon shields will be for my House Targaryen figures if I ever do any MOCs based on A Song of Ice and Fire.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

TwoTonic Knight

Also except for the rock pieces, I don't think the Dragon Masters are any more "juniorized" than the Wolfpack, which, come to think of it have the rock pieces too. How are they "juniorized"?

As to the "fall from Grace" the Dragon Masters were intended not to be graceful. They are ruled by a wizard not a king. They are either fighting or taming and training dragons. What do you expect them to have?

Also, Dragon Masters have excellent minifigures. You can put just about any arms, pants, helmet, or armor on them and it won't really change how they look. That's something you can't do with other factions.

I do agree that the helmets could have been better.

In my book, the Dragon Masters come in second behind the Black Knights- my personal favorite.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Snoopy wrote:TwoTonic Knight

Also except for the rock pieces, I don't think the Dragon Masters are any more "juniorized" than the Wolfpack, which, come to think of it have the rock pieces too. How are they "juniorized"?
Simplified ugly designs.
As to the "fall from Grace" the Dragon Masters were intended not to be graceful. They are ruled by a wizard not a king. They are either fighting or taming and training dragons. What do you expect them to have?
"Fall from Grace" implies moving from a state of (relative) perfection to a lesser state, and is not a reference to "graceful".

But, yeah, they ain't graceful, now that you mention it. :D
Also, Dragon Masters have excellent minifigures. You can put just about any arms, pants, helmet, or armor on them and it won't really change how they look.
Absolutely true - they are still ugly no matter what you do with them (but at least you can alleviate the horrible color mismatches). :D

Really, what is "excellent" about them?
In my book, the Dragon Masters come in second behind the Black Knights- my personal favorite.
The standard plain breastplate print rates down there near the bottom with me (and I think that it's cheapness on the resale front speaks volumes on how others feel) - I specifically cover every one with the overpiece armor for a reason. I've always felt that Black Knights are a factionless faction since they are generic to a literal fault.

And let me edit in here that if you (the generic you as in everybody) happen to like Dragon Masters, don't stop loving them (they need it - oooooooo, sorry, cheap shot). I don't like them because they upset my sensiblities as an artist for both reasons of design and color. But that's my taste, and I hope no one takes my dislike of them as anything but light-hearted or as a personal affront.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I don't hate them, but of corse I do not have one to bug me. :wink:
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

I've always felt that Black Knights are a factionless faction since they are generic to a literal fault.
That is why I like them. They are generic, and as a result are common torsos and it is easy to collect an army. also, I am a big fan of uniformity.

(remembers thread topic)
Ah, yes, the DMs. I regard the figs as ugly, but I think they have GOOD potential if you change the mis-matched limbs and just stick with the one torso design. The shields are great, but not on the DMs. I like them, probably as they were the theme I grew up with, but I agree with TwoTonic as they, while not that bad, were the start of something much worse.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Absolutely true - they are still ugly no matter what you do with them (but at least you can alleviate the horrible color mismatches).
Purely a matter of opinion, Mr. TT Knight. In my opinion, they are quite handsome. True, their colours are somewhat strong, but boldness a strong part of their identity.
I do agree that the helmets could have been better.
The problem with these topics is that it all breaks down to opinion. Which is what makes them so much fun. Now, Snoopy may not like these helmets, but I have to agree with JPinoy that they are awesome. If you get down to it, I prefer them over crowns, visored helms, conicals, and samurai helmets. They are my outright faves. They are my favourites for my own elves and royal guard, for my Tolkien Elves, for my Numenoreans and Gondorians. :D