Ever Been Picked on for Being a Lego Fan?

Discussion of general LEGO topics

Have you ever been picked on for being an AFOL?

All the time
9%
It happens from time to time
46%
I've never been picked on
46%

Total votes: 35

Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I apologize for getting of topic. I was just curious.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Yeah. I like Snoopy am homeschooled, so I get to choose the people I hang around. I never get teased, and I could care less if they did tease me. I love lego enough that a little critism is nothing.
Alan
good times
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Ok lets see... in my life I have been mocked and teased for my height, weight, wearing glasses, thinking too much (seriously, that actually happened), the clothes I wear, the movies I watch, the books I read, the people I associate with, and yes, Lego. Not to mention all the other toys I collect and sometimes play with.
My grandfather always taught me though, no matter what you do, there will be someone to laugh at you for it. So to heck with them. (He used stronger language, but thats the gist of it)
Now I try to pass on the same message to my son and soon to my daughter... let them laugh, let them poke fun, let them be jerks.
What counts is the fun that I have, and the people I care about.

Of course then I make a megabloks minifig voodoo style and run it through the blender... (no lego for this onerous task)
:D

Freak
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I'm with nate. Formendacil is soo right! I cant even explain. he said it in a better way than I could :wink:

LR
Troy
King Mnementh the Bronze
King Mnementh the Bronze

Post by Troy »

I do not get picked on for it. Most people I encounter are usually interested in what I am doing with all of the Lego that I buy. I generally tell them that I build large scale creations out of it.

I do sometimes get strange looks at the store. But i'm guessing that anyone pushing 4 carts full of just about anything through a Walmart would get strange looks...

Troy
Visit Troy's Surplus LEGO
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=mnementh
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

you know there is a reson why i never take girls home. Sometimes some people diss me for "playing" whit lego, and somehow my parents always think i have to much LEGO but i know they are wrong. my friends think its cool but the most inportant thing is that i like it. This reminds me of a movie called "The inlaws" or something tou migth have seen it but in the end of the mowie the son thats getting married sais (after a lot of other crasy stuff has happend) "I played whit lego until i was 17" i i tougth whatever i will probably do it too.

erik
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I haven't been picked on. But every year, my parents ask me what I want for Christmas, and every year I say Lego, and every year they say, well you aren't getting them, you have enough. They don't want to buy Lego for their 25 year old son. I think its kind of funny. Also I think they don't know what I have and what I don't or what I want multiples of.

And I was questioned at Toys R Us by the clerk, who I was buying King Leo's Castle for. And when I told him it was for me, he said well that's an awful lot to spend on Lego. I should have said, "you know, you're right" and left without buying anything.

This is about the closest I've come to being picked on: I went to the train museum here in Sacramento, first date with my girlfriend, and they were having model train displays. One of the ladies running it, asked if I had a model train. I said one made of Lego. And she said, with a look of mixed horror and disgust: "Now that you are older, maybe you can graduate to a real one."

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Well, I've been picked on (I guess you could call it that). Not unkindly though. More like good-natured teasing. It only comes from my one sister, though, although once a younger cousin said that I was "LEGO Crazy". :D I thanked her for the compliment. :lol:
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Me, picked on? Not saying that I'm some bad-***, but I'm
fairly intimidating in person being 6'2" and 240-250lbs.

Not to mention the weight-lifting. :twisted:

So...my answer would be "no".
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I never been picked because I like to play Lego. When I was teenage, I tried to not show it, but now, when I say I like to play with Lego, many people think it's cool. Other peoples are not interested, but I'm not picked because of it.

I'm not shy to show my Lego passion now. Nobody ask me at shop if it's or me or for kids. But I'd like to say to them that it's for me.

No adult is ever completely an adult...I'm no exception. I'm accepting what I am. Lego is something very fantastic ! :wink:
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I am another homeschooler. My only friends are homeschoolers. I have never been teased about lego except by my younger sister, but I think she is secrectly jealous of all my lego. Two of my best friends were into lego, we even made lego movies together, now they are into girls, erg :? but they respect that I still love lego. Another friend of mine thinks that lego is a bit babish, but he is to polite to say so.
Yesterday, I bought Dragon Fortress, and the lady at the till asked if it was for me, I said yes, and she asked if I still was into lego, I said yup.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

loneranger wrote:I'm with nate. Formendacil is soo right! I cant even explain. he said it in a better way than I could
Thanks for the compliments. I guess writing pays off.
erikut wrote:"I played whit lego until i was 17" i i tougth whatever i will probably do it too.
I hope I don't stop at seventeen: I'd already be done. Seriously, when I was younger, I expected to stop eventually, but the older I get, the less likely that seems. I can't wait until I have grandkids (assuming I ever manage to marry): I'll either be the coolest or the craziest grandpa around. :D
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Formendacil wrote:I'll either be the coolest or the craziest grandpa around. :D
That's what my girlfriend says about me. She says my kids will never be left wanting for playmates... I say there's no way I'm going to share!
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

doctorsparkles wrote:That's what my girlfriend says about me. She says my kids will never be left wanting for playmates... I say there's no way I'm going to share!
Yeah - I used to say that too...

:D
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Problaby, I am one of the oldest on this community, but I am never been picked on, or even teased with my LEGO-hobby. And why should someone do this? It is only a hobby like other hobbies.
Well, being 6ft and 220lbs will help a little, but the pictures I can show will do a lot more agaist any possible prejudices.

So far, no problems at all :D
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.