Jojo
Master

Re: To SNOT or not to SNOT this is the question:

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I don't snot. I use a handkerchief.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

Aliencat wrote:
insurrection wrote:I think SNOTted mocs generally looks better than non SNOTed, and I don't really get what kind of MOCs people are refering to as "overSNOTed"? Can you give some exampels?
I don't think it's entirely fitting to give examples of MOCs one doesn't like, or MOCs they find use techniques badly, that's not cool for the builders.
Instead, you could point out which studless or SNOTty MOCs you like to prove your point.
Well I see what you mean, but dosn't that make this whole topic quite non-cool? The starting point for the discussion is the dislike for a certain building style.
I didn't ask for people to be rude, you can talk about what you don't like in a MOC without totaly dissing the builder, right?
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Maybe a slight derailment (sorry Miss Blue!) but here's some of my favourites on Flickr that have utilised SNOT, I think, well.

The OP asks if SNOT is there simply as a technique and nothing else, but in all of the following MOCs, I do think that the SNOT construction has made it all the better. Obviously I don't think this applies to every MOC using the technique, same as, obviously, every MOC that uses orange isn't going to be awesome. :wink:

Maybe in the end there is no right answer: it's up to the builder if they want to use it and it's up to the viewers to decide if it works?
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

For me, I don't like SNOT b/c the tiles are too reflective. They don't have any texture, and so they come off as less realistic when used for flooring, roofing, and anything that in real life doesn't offer you a poor substitute for a mirror.

Now there are times when SNOT is good and the textureless nature of the tiles is welcome, and finding those instances is the challenge. I think one of the biggest challenges to SNOT style that I've seen is trying to do it in such a way that there is enough happening that you don't notice the glare that the tiles produce. Take Aliencat's Reality Dysfunction. Even though his street is SNOT and you can see the reflection in what shouldn't be reflective, there is so much going on that unless you are looking for it, you don't see it.

At the same time, I've seen MOCs where they SNOT'd, and there just isn't enough happening to move your eyes away from the fact that the pig sty looks so sterile you wouldn't mind having major surgery right there on the floor next to the food trough. From looking at it, it is clear that they shouldn't have SNOT'd, but left the studs to add some realism to the scene.

I personally only use tiles where the studs actually get in the way of something(a sliding door, landing pad, etc). More often then not, it's b/c I have something moving and need the tiles so I can support it's movement.
tiberium_blue
Villein

Post by tiberium_blue »

A lot of you are confusing SNOT with studless. SNOT refers to the actual orientation of the brick and not the lack of studs i.e. using tiles.

I think the reason a lot of people are using SNOT in their bases is because it's usually the cheapest way to get more coverage. Most often people are using it for water and I think it looks fine. Blue baseplates are also hard to come by which is another reason we're seeing it so much.

Studs are great for texture, I like to use them when landscaping and hide them in structures. Some things you build just call for a smoother surface.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiberium_blue]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2763]Cuusoo Autumn Leaves[/url]
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

I'm actually not a big fan of SNOT. I only do it for surfaces that are supposed to be very smooth or that I just can't do other ways. For some builds, I am kind of snobbish about studs showing, in which case I use smooth topper pieces. But by and large, I don't have an aversion to studs.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I start with this note: Everyone should build how they see fit. You can't please everyone all of the time.

Yes, this thread had a lot of confused people debating to stud or not to stud. I suppose it can be a little confusing because snot technique usually results in no studs.

I always use snot technique on my water for coverage and so I don't need a lot of tiles. I use snot to decorate buildings, build arrow slits, and for adding special details to my MOC. I sometimes use it on terrain to include interesting angles for caves and such.

I don't think castle building in general lends itself to a lot of snot techniques. Some people have pulled it off pretty well, However, it doesn't seem these MOCs are much better than a well built castle with studs up. For this reason I don't see much reason to go overboard with snot building. I tend to only use it where it is really needed to pull of the effect I am going after.

I do not use snot anywhere a minifig should stand because I make all of my creations to pose my figures on... and well snot technique aint got studs for them to stand on.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

I don't care one way or the other. Great MOCs are characterized by the overall talent of the MOCer rather than a single technique. There are far too many MOCs that employ SNOT simply because it's the thing to do. While a studless MOC can look fantastic, it isn't the be-all and end-all either. Using a technique simply because you can doesn't necessarily make a MOC better.

The thing is, this is always going to be about personal opinions. I have a personal preference for studded water surfaces simply because I like the texture. It reminds me of the small ripples on a lake or pond. A great MOC is going to be great because the overall design and execution is strong; not because the builder implemented a specific technique.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

I think RichardAM gave some good examples of SNOT working.

I like using SNOT as a building technique (my city walls and windows are simple examples) where appropriate, but I doubt that I'll ever come up with a completely SNOT creation. I like the challenge of fitting in SNOT stuff.

All this SNOT talk is giving me a runny nose. :raiseone:

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)