What makes a good builder, bricks or talent?

Discussion of general LEGO topics

Bricks or Talent

Brick supply
8%
Skill
78%
Not sure
14%

Total votes: 37

Dragon Master
Merchant

What makes a good builder, bricks or talent?

Post by Dragon Master »

I've been debating this with myself for a while. Are good lego builders people who have a large (or endless) supply of bricks to build with, or people who use a modest supply in different ways?

Personally I don't know. I mean look at the folks at lego, they have an endless supply of bricks, but recently have produced colorful rubbish. But techniques like the 5 wide window, and some of the smaller "beasts" I could never have imagined. Then I look at the Legoland sculptures and those are amazing, and certainlly take 1ooos of bricks. I'm just not sure...

Is it resources or skill?

Unlimited Lego or expertise?

BRICKS OR TALENT!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Talent, hands down. A lot of bricks help, but you need some skill to put those bricks together into a great model.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

Defenitely skill. Although, having a lot of brick can help a lot.

I guess it depends on what you think matters the most. Lots of bricks contribute to size, whereas skill enhances design and detail.
Check out my LEGO Movies at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88753 !
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

A mixture of both. Sometimes you just can't build something because of a lack of pieces. But if you don't know how to build it, you can't. I personally find small mecha/hardsuit style MOC's a good example of small piece quantity, but insane skill and detail in addition to functionality. But then when you want to build a full castle, you sort of have to have a large amount of pieces in addition to skill. It all depends what sort of builder you are. Whether you like small, intricate pieces, or if you enjoy more open large-scale planned creations.

But overall, if someone has no talent, no matter how many bricks they own they won't do anything too impressive until they learn, in my opinion.
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

I voted for talent but you need to have both, of course.
Without talent you can do nothing with the bricks, and without bricks you do nothing with your talent.

But a truckload of pieces is no guarantee for a great talent, of course 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I voted talent, but I think there should be an option for both. I can build anything I want, usually stumbling upon the look I want through trial and error, but what really keeps me from building something great is my limited supply of bricks.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

It really matters what you are building. For castle I would say bricks, since you are just stacking them up really. For space it is definetly skill. Things like mecha, you should see how many ways SNOT is used. And you try to make it small and compact but detailed. So for Space and mecha-skill. Castle and town-bricks.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

doctorsparkles wrote:I voted talent, but I think there should be an option for both. I can build anything I want, usually stumbling upon the look I want through trial and error, but what really keeps me from building something great is my limited supply of bricks.
Does that mean your a bad builder? No, of corse not. I voted for talent, just because you can't build stuff with your LEGO that does not mean you are a bad builder.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I wasn't entirely sure, but I leaned towards Skill, and since thre seemed to be more hope for me, certainly, in that direction, I consequently voted in accordance.

I have to agree that skill is what makes a creation truly stand out. The ability to use ordinary pieces in unordinary ways, or even in ordinary ways, but in designs that no one had though of, helps in creating the amazing creations.

But, by the same token, the majority of the REALLY amazing creations are simply massive, and more than a few of them don't follow an incredibly complex design.

But obviously, you need a both option. Some creations are both so massive and so well-built that they stick iin your mind forever. (Or until you forget) :)
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

J1A3L5 wrote:A mixture of both. Sometimes you just can't build something because of a lack of pieces. But if you don't know how to build it, you can't. I personally find small mecha/hardsuit style MOC's a good example of small piece quantity, but insane skill and detail in addition to functionality. But then when you want to build a full castle, you sort of have to have a large amount of pieces in addition to skill. It all depends what sort of builder you are. Whether you like small, intricate pieces, or if you enjoy more open large-scale planned creations.

But overall, if someone has no talent, no matter how many bricks they own they won't do anything too impressive until they learn, in my opinion.
But, by the same token, the majority of the REALLY amazing creations are simply massive, and more than a few of them don't follow an incredibly complex design.

But obviously, you need a both option. Some creations are both so massive and so well-built that they stick iin your mind forever. (Or until you forget)
Just to tell you guys that this is not about what makes a MOC good.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

Gotta be brick supply. How you build is determined by what you build. If all you have is POOPs, you cannot build as well as someone with bulk bricks, and that affects how you build and what you build.
Teup
Freeman

Post by Teup »

It's obvious one needs skill to build. But to build a good moc, a consistent style is required. And to have a consistent style, constructions, decorations, etc. need to be repeated everywhere. And to do that, you definitely need a good brick supply. With a little bit of everything you simply can't build such good mocs.

The fact that everyone likes my Viking mocs isn't all because "i'm such a skilled builder"; for a great deal it's having LOTS of green bricks, LOTS of brown plates, over a thousand log bricks, hundreds of arches, and so forth.

I think brick supply is much more of a significant limiting factor than skill is. However, I voted for 'not sure' :)
Whatever you do, don't.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

jamitjames wrote:Just to tell you guys that this is not about what makes a MOC good.
A great MOC is indicative of a great builder. If a builder is great, he makes great MOCs. The two are inseparable.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Skill definitely. Its like in sports, like basketball... you can be as big/tall as a 7-footer but without skill your not a great player.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

jamitjames wrote:.
just to tell you guys that this is not about what makes a MOC good.
But what is the exact definition of a good MOC? Or a great builder?
Everyone has a idea about it, of course, But it depends heavily on the age, experience, interests and insights of the builder and the spectator. I think, it is entirely in the eye of the beholder.
A little model can be a great MOC. A big one can also be a great MOC but isn't per definition.

something to ponder on ... 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.