A Wedding Sculpture

Discussion of general LEGO topics
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

A Wedding Sculpture

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Here's a MOC I made to attend the reception at my wedding at the end of the month. Christina and I are both rather pleased with it.

Inspiration came from Mookie, who was telling me about a swan sculpture she was building that she found online. That sculpture is here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=64705

I really liked the idea of building a swan for the wedding, so I passed the idea by Christina, and she liked it too. But I wasn't too thrilled at the size of the swan, I really wanted something much more bold and larger (seems to be a theme with me, doesn't it?)

So I did a google image search for real swan pictures, and molded those pics to the sculpture Mookie sent me to. In the end, I created a Swan-Boat style centerpiece to be used at the wedding.

Entire post-mod gallery found HERE.

The intention is to fill the swan's empty space with flowers and greenery, but we're unsure if it will be on the main table or the table with the cake. Time will tell. There are two pictures in the brickshelf gallery with pictures of the Swan filled with greenery, but that isn't the actual design, Christina just filled it quick for me so I could demonstrate the effect.

The last picture of the Swan with our rings, well, that was just a little fun :)

No plates were used except at the base to strengthen it for transport. Why no plates? Why no slopes? I don't always like using plates and slopes. To me it just seems to take away from the whole effect that the sculpture is made from LEGO. If figure, if I wanted it smooth I would have used clay.

Let me know what you think!

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Very cool Anthony,

My wife tolerates my hobby, but she certainly wouldn't have allowed it to be a part of our wedding. You are a lucky man. :) Good luck with the upcoming nuptials. Marriage is one of the best things I ever did, even if she doesn't understand Lego. :wink:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Congratulations Anthony!!

On both counts of having a great moc and your upcoming wedding.

:D

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

:shock: :shock: You had time to date some one :shock: :shock: (j/k) :lol:

Congrats, and that swan looks cool, would look cool as a boat if you made some mods to it.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Congratulations to both of you! May you have a happy married life!

The MOC? Oh, the MOC; it's great! I think you are right not to use slopes. It looks simply magnificent.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Congradulations! (or however you spell that bleeping word).

As for the moc, looks awesome, if you are looking for somthing to put in it, why not put a lego wedding in it. Just an idea.

Anyway, congrads again. :D :) :lol: 8) :P :wink: :!:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I like the swan, bricks only construction (as in no slopes, etc.) has its charms. (Especially the larger you go.)

Maybe there is a place for this swan (or a sloped version of the same) in Ikros somewhere. Like maybe Cassrien's family lives in a giant housebo.. er.. swanboat. :D

(P.S. Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! May your marriage be as well built as your dragons, and as enduring as your sticker articles.)
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

wlister wrote:My wife tolerates my hobby, but she certainly wouldn't have allowed it to be a part of our wedding.
My girlfriend says that if we end up getting married, I should make a LEGO cake topper. I haven't figured out whether she's kidding or not yet.
Nice job with the sculpture and good luck with the marriage.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

An awesome sculpture. Way more advanced than I could do. I really like the pic with the flowers. Congratulations, and have a happy married life. :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

wlister wrote:Very cool Anthony,

My wife tolerates my hobby, but she certainly wouldn't have allowed it to be a part of our wedding. You are a lucky man. :) Good luck with the upcoming nuptials. Marriage is one of the best things I ever did, even if she doesn't understand Lego. :wink:

Will
My NLSO (aka Wife) and I had a good laugh at your comments, Will. Wilma gave me Forestmens Crossing (hence I won't sell the Forest Babe) during our engagement, and my groomsmen gave me Royal Knights Castle (6090) on my wedding day. My daughter and I are the Lego-nauts in our house, though my wife does appreciate the hobby ("when a man has a hobby like this, you always know where he is!").

Anthony, congratulations on finding a partner who appreciates your hobbies/passions. I knew I'd found the right woman when I suggested that I'd like to get married while wearing my kilt. She thought that was a great idea! So, even though she doesn't drink coffee (the elixir of life) I think I'm blessed.

So, blessings to you and Christina.

Alan

PS Are you planning on having minifig reps of each other for the top of the wedding cake?
PPS Brain-wave!!!!! a la "Abston Church of Christ", would there be time etc available for people to submit their own minifigs to attend your wedding by proxy? Just a thought.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Is it any wonder where we got the shape for the modern valentine heart?

I created an identical Swan using all the left over white bricks I had. It wasn't a pretty build, let me tell you. The second swan is nearly all 1xXs, and most of those are 1x4s. But when I finished, and put them together, I think my time was well spent. It's amazing that the two necks create such a perfect heart shape.

I am very pleased with the fruits my my labor, and Christina is too (which is the only opinion that matters, right? ;))

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Re: A Wedding Sculpture

Post by Glencaer »

SavaTheAggie wrote: If figure, if I wanted it smooth I would have used clay.
Yeah.. but you suck at clay. Ha ha. This is awesome Tony! I wish I had made something LEGO for my wedding. Oh well. The Swan really looks nice!

-Lenneh
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

Congrats, Anthony! Many blessings.
I like the swan alot. And the heart formed by both is a nice touch.
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8